Summer Time Meet & Greet - Fairbanks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:54 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer Time Meet & Greet - Fairbanks??

Hello all,

I would like us, as a chapter, to start thinking of a summer time get together. What I need is some input from those in Fairbanks. I was thinking of having a campout/BBQ somewhere outside of Fairbanks. Say 30 miles in either direction. I will be willing there but I want to make sure people show up. Last summer I was the only one. SO Locations, Good & bad Dates, Bad Locations, lets start a list here and go from there.

Now for Valdez. I work with a guy that has a rafting business. If anyone want to go rafting for cheap, say $20. Usually we will go 4-5 times, 45 minutes trips each. Let me know. The Lowe river is pretty fun but I do suggest a dry suit if you have one.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 AM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
I haven't camped around Fairbanks but would be interested in a camp out. My only available dates would be the July 3- July 8 and July 24-July 29. I have a week in august too, but think it's gonna start getting cooler then. Other than these dates I'm gonna be at work...
I'm game for anything ya'll might come up with so let's get some ideas going.

Mike, I'll be getting in touch w/ you about the rafting...that sounds like a pretty good trip for my friend whos coming up here in June....

Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 PM
AK Fifty-Three
Senior User
Thanks for the invite, Mike. I work in tourism, so no weekend is better than any other. I'll probably just drop by to introduce myself. Unless the campground is in cell phone range, then I might stay.

Was looking forward to driving my '53 for the first time this weekend. The roads here in the hills of Fairbanks were almost dried out. Then I woke up to 6" of fresh snow this morning...

Is there still good riding in Thompson Pass?

Matt

Old 04-23-2006, 11:13 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Yes. We got 12" in town but most of it has melted away. I guess they got between 24-48 on the pass, elevation makes the difference. The 6th of May I will be heading up there for some spring riding.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:15 PM
2DLAKE
Senior User
Yep, that snow on Saturday sure hampered our plans of launching the boat. See my gallery for pics...may drive down this weekend and drop her in unless we get Roger or Herb to put her in this week for us with their equipment.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Still some slush around town. They did plow last night so the roads are open. Man those were some HUGE flakes. Golf ball size monsters for an hour than ran for an hour then back to the golf ball flakes. Did that for two days. The shrimping has been pretty got out in the bay. Well I'm off to see your gallery.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:58 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

DING - DING. New summer plans. See 2DLAKE galley.Well after looking at 2DLAKE's photos we will have to have a BOATING TRIP down my way. Just kidding. Do you run a charter business in the summer or is that thing purely a pleasure craft? You have to come down next winter and go sledding. I'll take you to those hidden locations up in the mountains were most people dont go.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:38 AM
2DLAKE
Senior User
It's my father's boat, he's pretty busy right now so he had me and my brother bring it down. We've had a cabin at Ellamar for over 20 years and always got there by 21' Wooldridge, what he's got now is a long overdue upgrade, this will be her 2nd season.

We used to ride quite a bit your way, used to spend a week down there during WESC. Now we spend our time at Summit as a buddy of mine has a cabin there. We all ride REV Summits. Thompson Pass is an impressive place to ride to say the least, I love it there.

We've never done much shrimping in the past, but now that we've got a puller and some new pots, we're looking forward to learning how to do it. Which school of thought are you a member of, A) the floating line with a weight clipped about 100'down, or B) sinking line? We're going to buy line this week for the pots and are receiving mixed reviews....

Old 04-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
My work schedule is pretty crazy, so I will not be able to commit to any dates until the last moment. Trying to think of places to have a campout / BBQ close to town with decent facilities.

Chena Lakes campground? Just out of Fairbanks, right near North Pole. Picnic pavilions, but not sure of camp spaces or RV parking.

Olnes pond? Just north of Fairbanks on the Elliot Hwy. Little pond to camp at and you can walk through the woods to the Chatinika river for Grayling fishing. I haven't been there in a few years, so unsure of it facilities also.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

The negative thing about floating line with a weight clipped to it is if you forget and run it through your puller, well ouch you get the picture. Those pullers arent cheap.

Do you guys know Niel Opien??? Just curious. I use to commerical fish and know a few people out in the sound. A beautiful place on a sunny summer day. Of course it can be down right nasty when a storm rolls in.

I ride a Poo but it does fine for me. Once it get OLD then I might go Skidoo but that will be a few years from now. Thompson Pass is ok for riding. The better riding is up in the Chugach, say 20-30 miles off the road. Try this site for some photo's:
http : // www (dot) putfile (dot) com / mlb4966

Talk to you guys later. I have to go to Anchorage for a week.

Mike B

Thanks for the suggestion TT. I like the idea of Olnes Pond. I'll take a look at that one later on.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Post Summer Time Is Near....

Originally Posted by mlb4966
Hello all,

I would like us, as a chapter, to start thinking of a summer time get together. What I need is some input from those in Fairbanks. I was thinking of having a campout/BBQ somewhere outside of Fairbanks. Say 30 miles in either direction. I will be willing there but I want to make sure people show up. Last summer I was the only one. SO Locations, Good & bad Dates, Bad Locations, lets start a list here and go from there.

Now for Valdez. I work with a guy that has a rafting business. If anyone want to go rafting for cheap, say $20. Usually we will go 4-5 times, 45 minutes trips each. Let me know. The Lowe river is pretty fun but I do suggest a dry suit if you have one.
I'm hoping that by replying to this, I can get some more interest going on a gettogether this summer. I see that there have been plenty of 'views', but no real responses. With the sale of my house pretty much finalized, I will have a little more free time on my hands (aside from work....lol) So I'm going to try and help Mike get something together. If anyone else has suggestions or would like to help out getting something going, please speak up. The get together last summer wasn't, so let's try and make something happen this summer.
Look forward to seeing some responses......
Chris S.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:54 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Thanks Chris. Did you get those brakes figured out??? We might have our TT sold so I will have to tent it this year until I get a new one. Will not be until next summer at the eairlest. Gota wait until I drive south to get one. Way to much money for a new one up here.

As for a meet. Went camping this weekend up in the Glennallen location. Man was it wet and muddy. Got the TT and truck stuck. Sunk to the axles. All well it was kinda fun with the mud flying everwhere. I was thinking July or August. For me the middle of the road is around the Paxon area for those in Fairbanks and Eureka for those in Anchorage. Maybe I will have to do both but I need some responses. I might also be in Willow the first week of June but I have to wait and see if I can get time off from work.

Mike B

PS It snowed Friday here. Didnt stick but made visibility a pain.

Last edited by mlb4966; 05-14-2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-18-2006, 12:32 AM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Mike, I talked with White Spruce Trailers, they seemed suprised that a trailer could "go out of here with only 1 brake hooked up, but any thing is possible..." I'm off next week, so I'm going into the "city' to pick up a new system...battery, built-in charger, breakaway, ect. and hook it all up. Also going to buy the materials for the box and get that built too. I have only next week to get moved out...closing on June 12.
Congradts on getting the trailer sold, that didn't take long. Tenting it ought to be fun!!!
On another note....My truck and trailer have been hijacked this Monday ( the 22) for the annual clean up at the Knik River Access by Wetland Retrievers. Gonna be hauling away alot of junk that people were kind enough to bring in over the winter and dump off. MY friend has been cleaning up the site by himself and has a rather large pile that needs to be hauled away. If any one would like to help out pm me and I can give you some more info.
Thanks to all, lets keep the ideas rolling in on what WE AS A CHAPTER, would like to do this summer. I for one don't have any objection to any of the ideas 'pitched' so far...

Old 05-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Y2K350
Elder User
For a date I would have to say mid July. For a place, Chena Lakes.

Chena Lakes has two campgrounds. The first is the Lake Park Campground. It is my least favorite of the two. It has pull through camping for large RV's. The trees are scabby and the campsites are gravel.

The second is the River Park Campground. My favorite. It also has pull through campsites, Big green trees, The campsites are all grassy and you are within 100 yards of the river.

Chena Lakes is only about 20 minutes from Fairbanks but the seclusion feels like your 200 miles away.

Tony

Edit: Cell phone work there too. FYI

Old 05-18-2006, 04:44 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Chris I still have the TT. Has not sold yet. Heck we have a few new TT picked out that we like but gota get this one gone first. The Battery in that box should be fine. Did you test it and it failed??

Middle of July in Fairbanks. I'll have to ask my boss but that does sound good. I have the 21-24 of July off so that would be a good weekend for me. I have two jobs but the second one is a lot more flexible, ie my own boss. SO lets pick that weekend and see if anyone else wants to show. We can pick a site in a few weeks. I do like being a little out of town so either one sounds good.

YUMMM, ICE CREAM. How many of you are going to Twin Tritions Ice Cream social??? Man I miss home made ice cream. We are having an Ice Cream social here for the Seaside Expo memorial day. Guess I will have to take a triple dose of Lipitor to counter all that fat.