Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

New seat belt law

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM
wintremute
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New seat belt law

ok, first off all I wear my seatbelt 80-90% of the time so no flames please but I am against a law forcing me to do so.

I just wanted to get some thoughts on this. Under the new KY seatbelt law, it is now a primary offense for now wearing seatblets. You can be pulled over just for that. However, any vehicle made before 1981 is exempt.

The original law passed ONLY because it was a secondary offense (you couldn't be pulled just for no seat belt) and was applicable to any vehicle that came with seatbelts from the factory, I believe post 68. Now I can be pulled for not wearing a seatbelt in my '01 Ranger, but not in my '77 F150???

Does this make any sense???????????

Old 04-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Unfairlane62
Freshman User
Its the same over here in the U.K you can get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt and get fined for it too, we have to wear them in the front seats or back seats but only if they are fitted from new or been added since, Its just a habit to put it on now without even thinking

Old 04-17-2006, 06:10 PM
IrishEKU
Senior User
Actually it makes sense from a Law Enforcement point of view, if you think about it. It gives probable cause for a stop. Check the occupants and whatever is in sight. Since I wear mine 100% of the time no probable cause. Since I have visited a few areas of the country I have noticed that certain individuals like to drive their vehicles with the seat back and leaning to the side. I'm sure this will counjure certain images and colors? Kind of impossible to wear a belt at those angles, so they don't. As for the year of applicabillity, think of when rice burners became popular....;-)

Irish

Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I don't care for seatbelts. I will make any children who ride in my vehicles wear them. If you ride in my car/truck its up to you as to whether you wear it or not. You are an adult, it's your decision. I don't feel that lawmakers should make laws such as this one.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 PM
create
Senior User
Originally Posted by rywegh
Personally I don't care for seatbelts. I will make any children who ride in my vehicles wear them. If you ride in my car/truck its up to you as to whether you wear it or not. You are an adult, it's your decision. I don't feel that lawmakers should make laws such as this one.
the only objection i have to what you are saying is the following. They make people wear seatbelts not only for their own safty, but for the safty of others.

people have been killed in car accidents when they have been sitting up front with seatbelts on due to someone in the backseat with no seatbelt on.

when a car stops, whatever isnt buckled down will continue to move forward, including people in the back. just think about being clobbered by your friend from behind in a car accident.. no fun.

Anyway, i wear mine about 60% of the time, always when im going to be on the interstate, which is probably not where i would need it.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I put mine on before i enter a weigh station in the big truck, almsot never in my personal trucks.. If i dont wear a seatbelt... it hurts nobody but myself.

They should pass something more usefull.. like limiting the cost of gas/diesel?

Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
IrishEKU
Senior User
K, people....Did the statment "Cause for a stop?" pass everyone by? Geezh! Think about it! If all LEO's have to pull anyone over for a seatbelt question. Dot the "I's" and Connect the "T's"......Unless you want to provide reason for a stop.....

Last edited by IrishEKU; 04-19-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:25 PM
IrishEKU
Senior User
If you ain't doing squat, just buckle the damn thing!

Old 04-19-2006, 09:10 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The only thing I'm going to say is that I would not be hear today if it was not for me wearing my seat belt when a semi decided to swat me like a fly in my truck, the bruises i got from the belts let me know that there would be no-way I could have held myself in the truck and I would have been tossed out like a rag doll.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was younger and really muleheaded, I always said I would never wear one. Never did until it was made a law here. Now, buckling up when I sit down in the truck is just second nature to me , like turning the ignition key on. I know of a lady that was disemboweled by her lap seat belt (pre-shoulder harness set up) and another guy burned up in his truck because he could not get his belt unhooked. ..

I guess people would have to go by averages before making a conclusive opinion on the positives/negatives of seat belt usage. Average out how many people are saved VS. how many die because of using them. I think the lives saved wearing them would come out the winner though. jmo

Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 PM
cmaupin
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Research a little

It is my underrstanding if the truck has farm tags they are exempt from seatbelts, but I am not sure about cars. Have to have seatbelts but no helmets on a bike? what is that about?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in NC,all occupants has to wear seat belts no matter the age front and back.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 AM
BUZZer67
Freshman User
we need a seat belt law for the school buses more than one for our trucks

Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I always wear mine. I figured years ago, if I had to strap in to race 1/8 mile in a straight line, then I really should wear it on the road with all of the idiots out there who are talking on cell phone, reading the paper, putting on make-up and DUI.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
redneck1377
Freshman User
I got a ticket for not wearing seat belt , do anyone want to pay it for me, if I am driving then I refuse to bucket up, the cop told me to get a statement sign by my doctor

Quick Reply: New seat belt law