WEIRD project: converting an F100

Old 04-11-2006, 12:50 PM
kaulike
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEIRD project: converting an F100

Hi gang

I own an 1968 F100 gas-guzzler with a 390. It has made an awful purty lawn ornament for the past several months due to an electrical/starter problem---it is essentially a work truck and not much else, and not even that right now. I can probably fix the electrical issue, but the truck has left me high&dry several times in the past 6 years. Even when it runs, it gets crappy mileage, and I feel guilty driving it. I have been wanting to get rid of it for a while.

However, as I learned from my 8-year-old when I tried to sell it recently, it is a part of the family, so I'd best put that *(&)(% pink slip back in the filing cabinet.

I live near Mendocino, CA and there are a few places to buy BD, and lots of folks out in the woods making it themselves for use in vehicles, tractors, and as heating oil. You can hardly swing a chicken in the grocery store parking lot without whacking into a bumper sticker that says "I run biodiesel!". I very much like that about this area, and I want to play tuba in that bandwagon, but the old Silly Goose.

So... since I evidently have the larger engine mount that can take up to a 427, it occurred to me that I might be able to swap in a diesel and run bio. I know the intelligent thing to do would be to dump this truck and buy one that already runs on diesel. However, as I mentioned, it is a member of the family and will not be parted with.

So does anyone know of anyone who knows anyone who has ever converted an older gas truck to use a diesel engine?

thanks

Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Your suspension cannot handle the weight of the diesel engine.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 PM
kaulike
Freshman User
I was just reading on another thread about someone who made this conversion work by swapping in coil springs from a same-era diesel truck and using Firestone Ride-Rite air supports in the coils.

Sounds like a helluva lot of work, though!

Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
You would have to swap everything: axle, ball joints A-Frames, springs to make it work well. You are right A LOT OF WORK

Old 04-11-2006, 02:47 PM
kaulike
Freshman User
ZOIKS. Maybe I'll look into a propane conversion instead! Thanks

Old 04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
bhiggins
Senior User
who says he has to put a 7.3 or a 6.0 in his truck?

why not a smaller diesel. I saw a guy once put a 3 cylinder perikins from his tractor into his truck. Problem didn't get over 55mph but got 80MPG

I'm looking into putting one in a jeep but thats anouther forum

just a thought

Old 04-12-2006, 04:09 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bhiggins
who says he has to put a 7.3 or a 6.0 in his truck?

why not a smaller diesel. I saw a guy once put a 3 cylinder perikins from his tractor into his truck. Problem didn't get over 55mph but got 80MPG

I'm looking into putting one in a jeep but thats anouther forum

just a thought
I agree with You I build "wierd-stuff" all the time.............And don't care what anybody else thinks!

My vote: Go for it!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Smaller diesel might work just try to stay around the 390 in weight maybe a 4 or 6 cyl
dont even think about the 1980s era GM automotive diesels they were trouble from the start.

if you are lacking in power you can go to lower geared rearend

You should get pretty good MPG but definetly wont win any drag races

Good luck

Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
I think it's an excellent idea, I've got a 1970 220D engine/4speed i got in a trade a couple of years ago. I was thinking of building a gen-set with it for Elk camp, but this thread has me thinking of looking for a 88-90 Ranger 2x4 to put it in..............like I need another project! Would make a good parts chaser for the farm, and I can run it on biodiesel

FABMANDELUX.

Last edited by IB Tim; 04-15-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:23 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
some of the Case backhoes had 4 cylinder diesels in them (cummins 4cyl diesels to be exact) adn I believe it was the 580 j adn K actually had a 4 cyl TURBO diesel. now that wouldn't way much more if as much as a 390 does. I could be wrong on the model it's been about 7 yrs since I hauled out of the case plant but that seems to be correct in my mind.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:39 AM
kaulike
Freshman User
WOW you guys have some great ideas. I had given up on the whole diesel thing (I wanted to run bio as well).

What on earth would it take to mate a Perkins motor to a Ford transmission? I can't even imagine, but the trans is a T18 4spd. I'm sure I would have to fab perches and engine mounts.

I have no problem tooling around at 45mph---I don't trust the frame or brakes to go faster than that anyway, especially with a load of gravel in the back (it has an extra set of leaf springs in the back). And I could run biodiesel! HEY, maybe I could mount a PTO on the front and it could also be a bio-powered backup generator! Heck, I'll use it to run the well when I'm not out cruisin.

I don't have much experience with a torch, but I was a sheet metal apprentice mumblesomething years ago... hmmmmmm

Thanks again for reviving my faith in humanity!

Old 04-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Contact Cummins Southern Plains, located in Arlington, TX. They have quite a few low hours 3.9BT motors. The engines were originally used in Frito Lay delivery trucks and were hooked up to a chevy manual transmission bellhousing.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dave Barbieri
Contact Cummins Southern Plains, located in Arlington, TX. They have quite a few low hours 3.9BT motors. The engines were originally used in Frito Lay delivery trucks and were hooked up to a chevy manual transmission bellhousing.
Thanks for the info Dave! Maybe we should talk with our Ford buddys down south, Ford used Perkins diesels in late 80s early 90s Ranger pickups made in Brazil. There was a thread on it in another forum here, I'll see if I can find it.

There must be a way of getting some of those bellhousings etc shipped up here! Hummm.....There must be Ford parts they need.......

FABMANDELUX.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:20 AM
kaulike
Freshman User
<quote>Ford used Perkins diesels in late 80s early 90s Ranger pickups made in Brazil.</quote>

Wow, really? I wonder if that means there are some standard parts? It would help a great deal if I didn't have to fabricate anything.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Gotta tell ya, Fabman, that Cummins 4 cylinder TD is one sweet engine. Basically a 5.9 missing two holes. Light, simple, easy to mount, and with the GM bellhousing pattern, you sure won't lack for tranny choices! We used the program several years ago to buy complete 5.9's for training purposes. They arrived in special shipping crates, and when we opened them up, you couldn't tell them from new! Not sure on the price of the 3.9; I've slept since then! As far as power goes, seems to me it was around 120hp and 300 lbs of torque. I think. Sure would be sweet in a newer Ranger. Or an older Land Cruiser. Or a Jeep. Or.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WEIRD project: converting an F100