Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

motorcyclists?

Old 04-07-2006, 12:28 AM
yamaweezle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motorcyclists?

anyone around here ride motorcycles as a hobby? where is your favorite piece of pavement in iowa...i frequent highway 52N quite a bit...lots of twisties, and interesting places to stop...wouldn't mind setting up a ride sometime if anyone would be interested...no motorbike predudice here...i like them all, from japanese to british bikes...i even like harleys, lol...

Old 04-07-2006, 05:38 AM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
HERE is my new (well new to me) ride.. I just got her home yesturday We ride all the time.. My wife has her bike (86 Fazer) and my son and I on my Goldie... Theres about 5 of us that ride alot together, thats just the Goldies, but it don't matter what you ride, just that you ride!!

We where planning on heading down around Bellvue this Sat, just for a short lil trip to get used to my new bike.. I don't know where you live but if its around Dbq we could change plans to meet up on Sat

Old 04-07-2006, 07:27 AM
yamaweezle
Senior User
well, what do you know...i'm about a half an hour south of bellvue, in clinton...unfortunately, as a part of my job i drive tow truck every third week, and this is the week i'm babysitting it...lol...i hear that it's supposed to be quite decent this weekend...*sigh* i'll let you know if i can get away from my duties...

Old 04-07-2006, 08:22 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
I frequently head down to either Bellevue or Plattsmouth and cross over into Iowa. I like the Loess Hills route between Glenwood and Missouri Valley. Would like to venture over a little further east or south sometime.

Oh, I do ride a Harley, but like you all said, it doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:12 AM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
Hey i looking for a roadtrip too, i got my dyna superglide ready to roll. i live in burlington . As soon as we have a warm weekend i am ready. i am riding it around town now but when the sun goes down temps drop. so it heads for the garage.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 AM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
I just hope those hardleys can keep up Just kidding... My sister and bro-in-law ride a Harley... Just nice to put your feet up, drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cig, listen to the radio and ride

Thats the nice thing about cruise control on a bike

Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 AM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
Hey i got cruise control on my harley. It is the poor mans control but it still works. i got a 1450 cc engine that breaths thru dual almost straight pipes. I blew my brothers norton and his friends Kawasaki off the road, they were maxed out and i was just shifting into high gear. I dont have a windshield, sometimes i wish i did, othertimes not. i will still ride with ya though, i dont care what ya ride as long as you ride safe and not crotch rocket show off speed demon stupied. lets go/..

Old 04-07-2006, 03:01 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
I just like giving grief... I do like Harlies... Just like Goldies better... I'm more into comfort being the lazy *** I am

The closest thing to a crotch rocket in our group of riders is my wifes 86 Fazer

Old 04-07-2006, 06:51 PM
yamaweezle
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordloverf2501970
I blew my brothers norton and his friends Kawasaki off the road, they were maxed out and i was just shifting into high gear.
hmmmmm.........
Originally Posted by fordloverf2501970
...as long as you ride safe...
refer to the first hmmmmm........... sorry, just messing with ya...

here's a picture of me in my monkey suit sitting on my "crotch rocket"...LOL!!! let the bike bashing begin!!!

...and don't worry, i only ride "speed demon stupid" at the track...i actually use it for what it's made for...i don't race, well at least not yet...maybe someday i'll be good enough to compete, but that's quite a ways off...i'm a very calm, and mature street rider with almost 10 years under my belt without incident..."safety" is number one in my book...rarely do you see me riding without a helmet, riding jacket, and gloves...you'll never catch me riding in shorts wearing my favorite flip-flops...i also ride my own ride...i always want to come home to my loving wife in one piece...

...then you ask...why do you do track days where you ride crazy fast? because it's always held in a safe controlled environment, and you're not putting anyone else at risk...you won't be getting any speeding tickets...there is nothing that's going to run, pull-out, or fall in front of you...the pavement is clean, and free of anything slick (oil, antifreeze, etc...)...it's not a race, there is no trading paint, or trying to out-brake someone else into the next corner...the club i belong to is more or less, a riding school...control riders ride with you to give you pointers, show you the good lines of the track, and (most importantly...) keep the riff-raff off of the track...the "show-offs" mind you...you can take your experiences home with you to make you a better, safer rider on the streets...or you can try to become competitive, and move up to the next level...

...so, if you don't mind riding with somebody hunched over their gas tank, we'll all have to go riding sometime... sorry truckertaz, couldn't get out of my duties...let me know when you'll be around the area again...

oh, my bike is a 2004 Yamaha R1 with a few mods...

sorry for the long post, i just felt like typing, lol...

Old 04-07-2006, 07:53 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
Not a bad looking lil scooter ya got there... I know I shouldn't sterotype... Just most of the crotchrockets around here are kds just trying to kill themselves... I had alot of dirt bikes as a kid..150-300's to go trail riding, but as I got older I like my comfort

I don't have a problem in the world riding with anyone as long as they are safe riders We'll get hooked up for a ride soon

HERE is my new (to me) ride

Its an 85 GL1200SE

Old 04-07-2006, 08:13 PM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
[QUOTE=yamaweezle]

...and don't worry, i only ride "speed demon stupid" at the track....[/QUOTE

which track ? i know my friend rides at gratton up in mich. once or twice a year when they have the open track weekend.
I used to race when i was younger, i have had several broken bones and the bad joints and cold days hurt me alot. i raced hare and hound or what they call here in iowa hare scrambles. i also used to have a crotchrocket brain core too. 143 mph was the fastest i have ever been on the street. now i ride my harley and just cruise down the two lanes. I let all the young idiots fly past me and get the attention of the highway patrol before i do. See my new scooter <a href="http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=53528131&i mageID=599753830&MyToken=b6feed6c-9208-43f4-810d-29ab6413d59b"><b>HERE!</a><br>

Last edited by fordloverf2501970; 04-07-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 PM
yamaweezle
Senior User
Talking

ah, gratten...i've never been there personally, but my track buddies have several times...i frequently go to blackhawk farms to watch...and ive ridden mid america motorplex in pacific junction, ia...and i've also ridden barber raceway in birmingham, al...i'm going back to mid america in july - WOOT!!! i have quite a few friends aroud here that do the hare scrambles over in illinios, and somtimes travel a good distance to do the same...what affiliate does your buddy go through? track time, track addix, nesba? i belong to nesba...

trust me, the "stupid" left my street riding style quite a long while ago...i was very lucky not to lose my license on a few occasions...i do not ride with many people anymore because many of them still have no fear...and the downside, in which truckertaz pointed out, is that most people stereotype the style of bike i ride as bad news (lol, i took no offense taz...), and some of them take it really seriously...therefore it is difficult to "fit in", so to speak...on the bright side of it all, in my town to town jaunts going from iowa to minnesota to wisconsin to illinios, i've met some of the nicest people on many different styles of bikes ranging from goldwings to bimmers...i get the occasional freindly harley rider from time to time...sheesh, all this gabbing about bikes is really making me jones for the highway...

Old 04-08-2006, 03:15 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Hey Yamaweezle,

That is an awesome bike. Glad to hear your not one of those brainless dudes flying down I-80 with the front wheel off the ground. Seems like every bike and it's rider gets a stereo-type of some sort.

I almost bought a bimmer, I think it was the 1150RT or something like that. It was a blast to ride, handled like a sports car. But my short legs left me on tip-toes at stop lights and that was something I didn't think I could live with. I do enjoy cruising the back roads, and I'm pretty surprised at how comfortable the Fat Boy is on the interstate.

I am stuck at home today too, the wife had to work and I haven't figured out how to strap the 4 and 7 year olds onto the Harley. lol.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:49 PM
yamaweezle
Senior User
thanks cowboy!!!

despite my responsibilities *cough-cough*, i went for a small around the town jaunt today with the wrecker phones strapped to my side...t'was a little chilly, but it was nice to get some fresh air...

Old 04-08-2006, 09:43 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
Well what started out to be a short little ride today ended up being a 114 mile one Just got home... It got a bit cool after thesun went down and momma taz does't have a windscreen she was getting cold, even with her leathers, so we called it a night Great riding day

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: motorcyclists?