Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Emissions/inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
s8whiskey
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions/inspection

Ok so Im workin on this truck since I got it for like 200 bucks. So then my question is does the truck have to have a bed on it? Its rather rough and I was going to pull it cuase like 4 of the bolts are gone and it rattles. Im going to drive it while I rebuild the engine on my 93 so can I do this?

Old 04-03-2006, 01:01 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Need taillights and signals on it, but don't think the bed is required.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen a few trucks with the bed off because obviously someone was working on it - so long as you have your lights and tag mounted and the lights are working it should not be an issue. If you want to be sure, flag down a local peace officer and ask, or call your county clerks office to ask, or enquire at the local DMV (or MVA, or whatever the heck we call it...).

It isn't unusual.

There was a truck in front of Haddads in Munford a week or so back with no bed on it. Consequently I could see the details of the airbags, compressors, lines fittings and solenoid valves that were plumbed under there....

It was almost laying it's frame down on the pavement!

Last edited by Greywolf; 04-03-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Tennesseedave
New User
Where are you that you have those? Union County hasn't had any sort of inspection since 1978...

Old 05-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Capbyrd
Senior User
unfortunately, memphis doesnt feel the same way. hopefully i will be moving to the county soon enough though.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tennesseedave
Where are you that you have those? Union County hasn't had any sort of inspection since 1978...
Memphis has had some sort of vehicle inspection for as long as I can remember. In the 80's they started checking exhaust emissions that were mandated be the EPA. None of the surounding communities or Shelby county residents have had to do so yet, although it got close last year! Even in Memphis, vehicles were only supposed to be within limits of the model year of vehicle. 1954 had no emission standards! My understanding is that even if I install a 2006 engine in my 54, I only have to meet 54 standards.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Capbyrd
Senior User
that is correct. they hold you to the emissions standards of the vin on your car. not your engine. thats why its illegal to put an engine in your car that is older than your car. but updating is perfectly legal.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
BINGO!

That's good. California once did the same. Although I doubt an emissions inspector is going to look deep enough to trace the serial numbers off your block and heads...

Long as the equipment bolts on and works, the emissions will be in the ballpark. Just make dang sure your rings are well seated.

Parks911 has been getting twisted through a ringer with a new engine in one of his - but the emissions were dropping in direct proportion to the break-in mileage at last we heard about it...

I'll give you a word of advice on rapid engine break in: When the engine is below it's designed operating temperature the rings will wear at a faster rate than normal. You can technically fire off a recently rebuilt engine and let it get up to running temperature, shut it down, let it cool down, and repeat this procedure a few times over a weekend to speed up the break in without much harm. The best place to run in a new mill is on a level highway - assuming it doesn't over-temp. You can also run it on a highway like that with a colder than stock thermostat - but don't leave it in there after the rings seat.

Last edited by Greywolf; 05-22-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:19 AM
Capbyrd
Senior User
i dont know if this would work on my truck and i have never had to try it.
but on my 97 accord wagon, it fails emissions every year. i have a bad egr valve that i need to replace but it still runs just fine making the justification for fixing barely there. i unplug the number 1 injector every year and it passes with flying colors. of course i do not promote or condone this as it is illegal.

come to think of it, i didnt actually do this. it was just a dream. thanks for listening.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
How would undoing a fuel injector help? Or is it a certain injector?

Old 05-23-2006, 05:47 PM
s8whiskey
Elder User
It would help cause its puttin one left cylinder emission out

Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Capbyrd
Senior User
it makes the car only actually run on three cylinders. the computer sees a problem and runs the car in limp mode. basically pulling fuel from all cylinders to keep the car from blowing itself up. i dont recommend this for getting around but doing it right before getting in line and then immediately hooking it back up after i go through has worked fine for me.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
I know that this is going to sound very "Gooberish", but is there any unspent fuel in the exhaust?

Old 05-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Capbyrd
Senior User
nope. the fuel injector is still hooked up to the fuel line but it doesnt have the electrical current to open and fire into the cylinder. the spark plug is still firing anyways so even if it were open it would still be burning the fuel.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
On California State Emissions tests, if you get a twice fail they used to send you to what they call a "REFERREE".

If the vehicle required so much work in dollars and cents that it was over a thousand dollars - you could get a "WAIVER".

I don't know if they still do that in California, or if it is part of the emissions testing model being used in Tennessee. I do know that I ran a freshly rebuilt Datsun 1600 truck through the system that way wherein everything was right and correct - and on the thrid try they passed it.

Heck, IT WAS A BRAND NEW ENGINE!!!

Emissions are a PITA. There is NO WAY a brand new set of rings can pass...

That particular engine was bored 20 over, align-bored so that new main and rod bearings could be fitted, the valves were 100% dual-angle ground, it was DECKED both for the block and the head, and had all of it's emission items performing as advertised...

If the rings are not seated yet you're not going to pass.

I have often wondered if you could just tell them it is a new set of rings, and get a free spot check later on to see if it is following the normal break in curve that could be expected (DAMN good idea, ain't it???)

Last edited by Greywolf; 05-24-2006 at 11:57 PM.