Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Deer hunters, you're falling down on the job...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:34 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Deer hunters, you're falling down on the job...

I managed to tear out the grille of the old '88 F150 the other night on the way to work. Hit the last deer crossing the highway at about 40 miles an hour (I saw the first two and was on the brakes already). Cost me a grille and a headlight out, and a pinhole in the radiator that caused anti-freeze to blow out. A stop at NAPA for a bottle of radiator stop-leak fixed that, though, and a stop at my hometown's new auto body shop got me a grille ordered for "about $60" and will be in next Wed. I'm also thinking of investing in a good grille guard for it, but can't find a full "cattle guard" one. It's my only truck at the moment, so I want to do all I can to keep it on (and off!) the road. I've been checking out other trucks, but prices these days just scare the heck outta me.

Therefore, I'm appealing to all you deer hunters: Don't go home with less than your limit!

Old 04-02-2006, 05:03 PM
SuperBlue
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you have some tenderized venison in the fridge for all your grief.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem is that they limit both firearms to use and count that we can take home. If you live in the southern 2 tiers of counties, high power rifles are allowed, but the rest of the state is regular shotgun.When I get moved back up to Marengo, and my high power will more or less be a showpiece. I know all about the numbers though, see them, ran over one,(yes, it went UNDER the van, only ran over it's neck) hit quite a few others. I'd be happy to bag more of them if they would let us...
As for cow catchers, not too many manufactured these days will take the hit, many just make the damage just that much worse, as they bend pretty easily, and are pretty wimpy for how they used to be. Check the 'Roo guards on this truck from down under, notice the bars coming back to below the fenders... OzFtrucker

Last edited by fellro86; 04-02-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:22 AM
beaners1
Senior User
Biggest problem around me is getting permission to hunt land. About 1/2 mile south of town is a section of land that has at least 80 deer running around in it. I would say at least once a week I see a new dead one laying on the road. If we could all get permission the deer population would go down. The only place to really hunt is public land and there your putting your life in your own hands, bunch of idiots with guns in there. They should put up signs saying enter at your own risk on some of these places. Just my two cents on the subject.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:52 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got a real good point there, I know of plenty of places like that, noone allowed to hunt, mainly because of idiots in the past ticking off the landowner.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:20 AM
BigBear1
Senior User
Originally Posted by beaners1
Biggest problem around me is getting permission to hunt land. About 1/2 mile south of town is a section of land that has at least 80 deer running around in it. I would say at least once a week I see a new dead one laying on the road. If we could all get permission the deer population would go down. The only place to really hunt is public land and there your putting your life in your own hands, bunch of idiots with guns in there. They should put up signs saying enter at your own risk on some of these places. Just my two cents on the subject.
I agree fully, Although if it was safe enough it would be nice to use high powered rifles in the whole state, but some people probably couldn't handle that and I would rather hit a deer with my truck than have someone get shot. but high powers might make it almost too easy. I think I'm going to buy a muzzleloader this year and see if that will improve my odds.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
scottjo
Senior User
The number of Deer in Iowa right now is insane. As for the high power rifles I think that would make it way to easy, it is hunting not shooting. I do a ton of bow hunting each year in fact I got seven does this past fall (antlerless tags) so I'm doing my part I think that everyone else should step up now.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:32 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
I agree that the deer population is out of hand... the one I hit was'nt the healthiest specimen I'd ever seen, which I'm guessing is because it was'nt getting enough to eat. I've heard of them being in the towns rooting through garbage cans looking for food, even. This tells me that the herd needs thinned out, and I can't believe that the state is content to let that happen by having them hit by cars and trucks. I'm not a hunter, but I have no problem with letting responsible hunters on my land. This means watching out where they shoot, and not just going trophy hunting.

As for having tenderized venison in the fridge, I was cheated out of that, even, since the thing got up and walked away. It must have only took enough of a hit to knock it down, since it was up and gone by the time I was able to get pulled over and get out to inspect the damage.

I've not been able to find a grille guard, either, since most places don't stock any for a truck that old (1988), so, if anyone knows where there's one around for sale, I'd appreciate ya dropping me a line. I've considered getting out the welder and trying to make up one of my own, and still might, if I ever get any spare time that I don't spend getting ready for my "busy season" or on the computer.

Thanks for the replies, all.