Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Barbeque marinades....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Barbeque marinades....

I used to put some red wine (dry as I can find), some garlic, salt, lemon or lime, black pepper, and water in a big ziplock bag with the meat in it - let it go overnight and then whip it out and slap it on the grill using the leftover marinade as a basting sauce.

Something else that works good is to save the juice from cans of jalapeno's and soak meat in that - makes dang good hot wings!

Funny that big catfish are soaked overnight in salt water to get the mud taste out - I used to make fish jerkey by marinating the fish in salt water with a little bit of dill spice added to give it a butter flavor.

Chicken and pork can be done with the red wine method, but mix in a bunch of brown sugar to the leftover marinade & baste it with that. It gets a fine barbeque crust on it...

Old 04-02-2006, 01:44 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I bought a vacuum saver meat marinader, with vacuum, it only takes an hour, don't gotta wait overnight any longer. I wrote down some maranades that I got out of a barbaque book, got some rubs too, but I generally use store bought, prefer Dales on steak.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 AM
s8whiskey
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I work in the Meat Dept at Kroger Im around alot of ideas for marinades and such. One of the simpliest and most obvious one I found was when you take the meat out of the package let it sit on a plate in a well vented area let air get to that meat before you cook it. Like none of that from package to marinating container. Its insane how much it helps. And if you have the time and have a metal screen for doing light steaming slap some wine and a your seasoning in a pan and put the screen over it and bring it to a boil and get some steam going take the meat (thats already marinated) and let it sit on each side for a good 2 min then rush her to the grill and sear the **** outta her and then cook to your liking. But Maples if you are looking for a good rub go to Tag'z and get his garlic pepper rub. Its like an orgy in your mouth. Its great. But as for steak man Ive tried every cut there is and Ive settled on Porterhouse and Petite Top sirlion (the real ones not the petites from the butt steak but from the sirlion tip) and of course a good prime rib.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:57 AM
SuperBlue
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Greywolf
I used to put some red wine (dry as I can find), some garlic, salt, lemon or lime, black pepper, and water in a big ziplock bag with the meat in it - let it go overnight and then whip it out and slap it on the grill using the leftover marinade as a basting sauce.
That's the same basic marinade that I use, but I put a couple of tablespoons of worcestershire sauce in it too. I like to use fresh garlic as well.

Does anyone have any good rub recipes?

Old 04-03-2006, 11:57 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is great marinade. I generally use a piece of Tri-tip and do it on a monday or tuesday and let it soak till the weekend. The meat is SOOOOOOOO tender and the leftovers make a sandwhich to die for (i used to only do one tri tip but learned of the sandwhich secret and now never do less then two) but have done chicken and even used it on hamburgers.

Tri-Tip Marinade

1 teaspoon of Lawry’s Seasoning
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup soy sauce
1 red bell pepper (sliced or chopped)
1-cup teriyaki sauce
4 cloves fresh garlic
1 can or bottle of beer (use your favorite or try it with different beers.)
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice (otherwise it will taste to salty)
Dash of parsley
Dash or oregano
Dash of your other favorite spices (I like to add a dash of cayenne pepper)

DIRECTIONS

Trim most of the fat off the tri-tip but leave a little for the flavor. Tenderize the meat by using a meat mallet or poking lots of holes in it with a large fork (my method).

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. If you have a bowl big enough to marinade your meat in also then great, I usually use large Ziploc Baggies. They are easy to handle and easy to store in the refrigerator. Put the meat and the marinade into whatever container you are going to use and mix it all together for a few minutes making sure the entire piece of meat is coated. Place the container in the refrigerator. I like to remix the meat/marinade 2 or three times a day. That just ensures an even meat/marinade union.
Marinade 48 hours prior to BBQ’ng for full flavor.

Cook to 375 degrees for rare or to 425 degrees for medium rare.

Fun to cut and serve right from the grill.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Ziplock bags are great because you can chase all the air bubbles out so the marinade is on all sides of the meat.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
BTW, I have a tip in my smoker book that says boil the marinade that you used when you remove the meat to put on the grill so that you can put the meat back in after you finish grilling it, boiling kills the bacteria obviously.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I generally use it all up. Something I learned from a roofer in Virginia named Dave - I first met him on the way back from the local 7/11 when he was grilling a roast out in front of his apartment. Didn't know the man from Adam, and he hollered out " 'CHOO DOIN', BOY??? COME ON OVER AND BARBEQUE WITH US!!!"

The Gal I was with thought he might be crazy, so I took an immediate left to go see...

Dave would spend all afternoon with a smoker or a weber keeping the meat wet and cooking it up SLOOOOW....

I've never seen anything come off of his grill that wasn't juicy as all get out, and dang near falling apart tender.

Sometime I'd like to go back to Whilloughby just to see if Phil and Dave are still around. They was good people....

Last edited by Greywolf; 04-03-2006 at 01:22 PM.