What types of pipe for WVO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What types of pipe for WVO?

What types of pipe can be used for WVO and will not have a reaction. I am doing some research on how to use a vehicles exhaust system to preheat WVO. An idea was suggested to me on using a pipe and electric controller to divert exhaust from mid-pipe and reconnect at the end near the outlet. The idea is to have a metal line for the fuel to travel down within this alternate exhaust line. Another method instead of an electronic controller, but with testing a small diameter pipe (yet to be determined) instead of an electric controller. I would like to know what types of metal can be used with WVO without any problems.

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to ask the same thing. Mind you, specifically copper. I got a slip tank the other day and am now going to set up an egine coolant coil to go inside for warming so I can run bio all winter. Gonna heat the fuel lines as well. Anyway, that's a little different question than packrat's, but along the same lines.
Thanks

Old 04-02-2006, 09:08 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullcrew7.3
I was going to ask the same thing. Mind you, specifically copper. I got a slip tank the other day and am now going to set up an egine coolant coil to go inside for warming so I can run bio all winter. Gonna heat the fuel lines as well. Anyway, that's a little different question than packrat's, but along the same lines.
Thanks
No aluminium or copper, WVO is acidic, steel is ok.
FABMANDELUX.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Kapper44
New User
I've been doing a lot of research on converting my '03 PSD to run on WVO. Still trying to decide on which company makes the best conversion kit, but one thing everyone seems to agree on is Steel Fuel Lines. Not only is the WVO acidic, but apparently the copper lines oxidize the WVO and increases the acidity of the WVO going through components causing early failure.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:32 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
On Plant Drive kits we supply a modified stock line That runs from the HFCM to the engine, both supply and return. The Vegtherm and the other items are pre-attached to this line if you go with the Vegtherm option. This makes the conversion go pretty quick since these lines have the Ford quick disconnect ends.

All other lines are good quality HP rubber fuel lines. In our two tank design the diesel and WVO only share the steel section of line forward of the HFCM and the little secondary filter in the valley of the engine, so rubber is not an issue.

email me we can talk more about the Plant Drive kit

Old 04-07-2006, 01:20 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mix in 20% Diesel and 5% Gasoline with some cetane boost and filter it really really good, you shouldn't need a conversion kit.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:11 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AndysFords
If you mix in 20% Diesel and 5% Gasoline with some cetane boost and filter it really really good, you shouldn't need a conversion kit.
Horse pucky

Old 04-07-2006, 07:04 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
The last thing you want to do is run a cold engine on WVO. Upper ring land coaking will soon follow. Running unheated WVO will lead to the same effect. There are a many studies that address this very point.

Convert the veggie or convert the vehicle the only two good choices.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Way2Slo
New User
Why not just heat the WVO with a heat exchanger or water coil?
Start it on diesel and switch over after warm... (110-125) We actually left it on to long and overheated the rubber? rings around the fuel line and started leaking Diesel. We now have a safety on it and if the oil hits 130 it shuts the pump off.

http://www.lytron.com/custom/exchangers.asp

Last edited by Way2Slo; 04-08-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Horse pucky
Ditto what Fab said.
Besides they wont stay mixed.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:44 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The cool thing about heating the oil from the exhaust, is that you could potentially have more control of the temp, and higher oil temps. Oh yea, no copper!! or galvanized tanks!!

Old 04-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Could a stainless steel fuel line work for WVO and the orginal secondary fuel tank on the truck?