Fire Codes

Old 03-24-2006, 03:07 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fire Codes

Any of yall had to deal with the FD to lawfully make bio or do you just make it and not worry about the laws. I live in a small town with strict laws, and normally i would just make it and not worry about it but the house me and my family are living in isnt ours. My mother is a youth pastor, so the house is the churches, and to get the church to approve it i need it ok'd by the FD. Also, i read somewhere that you were only allowed to have two containers 5 gallons each of methanol is this true? I have no where ealse to store it if i buy it in 50 gal. barrels. i really want to get going on this, ive already started test batches and that good stuff, but i need to know what yalls FD thought about it and what not before i go present my situation to mine. Also my city has a fee thing for the storing of Flammables, 65 bucks. Anyone ealse hae to PAY to make BIO

Old 03-25-2006, 11:36 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my opinion only. Methanol is just as dangerous as gas in a can with warm temps and pilot lights and such. Methanol is also a racing fuel. Do you have to pay to have racing fuel in the garage? Lye is used to make soap homemade. Your not storing the methanol that long in its true form before mixing and appying to the oil. Byproduct is glycerin with which you may make soap from or compost or recoup you methanol from. Just let everyone your concerned with know. There should not be any fumes cause they are dangerous to you anyway.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:31 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kennedyford
This is my opinion only. Methanol is just as dangerous as gas in a can with warm temps and pilot lights and such. Methanol is also a racing fuel. Do you have to pay to have racing fuel in the garage? Lye is used to make soap homemade. Your not storing the methanol that long in its true form before mixing and appying to the oil. Byproduct is glycerin with which you may make soap from or compost or recoup you methanol from. Just let everyone your concerned with know. There should not be any fumes cause they are dangerous to you anyway.

The problem with Methanol is that it burns clear and you can't see it burning. It is very very dangerous and isn't like gasoline at all. Becarefull where you get your info from.
If you store Methanol the Fird Dept would want to know this . If not for your safety for their own.