Running WVO Basics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Running WVO Basics?

I kinda have an idea on how to run WVO but correct me if I am wrong. Once the WVO has gone though filtering and cleaning removing the water and other unwanted things it needs to be heated to 150+ degrees for proper burning and low stress on fuel system. I live in a cold area with the temps in the winter dropping to 0 and somtimes below. I do not have access to ac power in the winter for the heating of the oil. I found at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-volt-600-WATT...QQcmdZViewItem

a water heater 12 volt 600 WATT. If my math works that is 50 amps, and could put strain in the charging system. I had an idea of mounting an extra alternator in the place of the AC and instead of having it charge the primary battteries, charge two in the rear. In a short amount of time I will recieve two 850cca batteries that i would like to put in the rear of the truck. If I could get a 50-100 gallon fuel tank and modify it so the heater element is right in front of the discharge could that heat the oil enough for an inline heater to do the rest of the heating. The system would require two heating emements, one for heating overnight and the other for heating the fuel as it exits and each heater on its switch to be controlled in the cab. My understanding of WVO is: Process the WVO and then heat to 150+ degrees before entering the engine after the engine is warm. So far from what I have heard and understand, running WVO would be the best for me especially since prices for fuel are pushing $3.00 per gallon here. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:41 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Use what is free and easy. The engien coolant on most engines is 185F or better. They make heated fuel pickups or you can make one, there are a few plans on the net for this.

Then you use Hose on Hose (HOH) to keep the WVO warm as it travels from the tank to the filter. They make coolant heated filters, so they will also get warmed. Now you have warm to hot, depending on the time of year and how long the truck has been running, oil.

Then you add electric heat. We sell a unit called a Vegtherm(tm). It will take this warmed oil and raise the temp of it to 158F.

This is a high level view of what I have installed on my 05 PSD. The kits to do this are sold on our web site.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Is heating diesel and the fuel filter going to harm the engine and filter. I would like to make my own system for as little as possible this summer and want to make this as simple as possible with electric heaters because I plan to have an extra alternator and batteries for other uses. Could I use an existing fuel tank on my truck for the WVO and can I use the existing fuel lines. I believe that they are rubber since it is an 1988. I have been doing some more reading and I have been thinking about putting on a Vegtherm right before the injector lines if possible. Along with that I would like to install a temperature gauge before the injectors to ensure proper temperature. since I am in an area with cold weather. I have thought about putting PTC heaters along the fuel line and insulating them with the fuel lines. I would like to have a system to were according to the temperature be able to turn them on and off individually by switchbox in the cab. When filtering the WVO and dewatering it what is the basic process. Do you filter it down around 5 microns and then dewater. The dewatering part has me a little confused. Do you let the WVO set for a couple of weeks and take the WVO of the top. Is there a faster process? Can the WVO be heated to dewater and produce in a couple of days? If so, what is the temperature that it needs to be heated to and can it be done in a 55 gallon drum. Once dewatered is it a good idea to filter the WVO finer before putting it in your tank. I read that putting WVO in a tank that has had diesel in it will cause the grabage in the tank to get into the line. Would it be a good idea to put a large inline fuel filter to catch this garbage and change them out untill all of the garbage is gone. Would putting a heat source on the fuel line exiting the tank and entering the existing fuel switch to heat the fuel around 100 degrees be eaiser on the system. How well does the WVO flow when it is at a temperature of about 20 degrees. Any awnswers to these questions would qreatly help. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:27 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
You asked a books worth of questions. I think the best thing for you would be a book called Sliding Home by Ray Holan.

It covers everything you need to know.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:53 PM
blhfla
Senior User
There are also other forums you can research such as:

http://www.greasecar.com/forum_view.cfm?frmID=1

I frequent that one and although there is a lot of non-technical, sometimes what I would refer to as idiotic posts, there is also quite some useful info. Look for the posts from "Forrest Gump" - he experiments with salt, baking soda, silica, etc. to speed the pre-filtration process. Or post your own question to him and ask what he recomments now, for your circumstances. His vehicle is a Powerstroke, BTW.