Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dare to be different......but as an AMC fan, the Marlin was a pig

Old 03-08-2006, 08:16 PM
lesmore49
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bordaine
Lesmore49 My first vehicle was a 1960 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650 Twin w/ twin Mikuni carbs. I loved that bike, ended up trading it for a 1970 Super Bee. I would like to have either one of them back.
See if you can get the VIN number off the Rambler and lets see if that digs anything up. I did find mention of a AMC dealer showing up at drag strips with Rambler Super American, 343 2DR. He would race the cars and sell them in the parking lot after the race. They where 4SP, 4.10 cars. I will look that up again but I believe it was in Mich. If the story is true, that could be a very interesting AMC. Please let me know how you make out.
Steve
PS The door alignment on AMC was always questionable. I have yet to see an AMC with both door perfect. On my 69 AMX the pass door closes and lines up perfect but the drivers door is another story.
Bordaine,
I always have had a soft spot for big British twins. I always wanted a Triumph 650 Desert Sled with the side pipes , or a Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 twin, when I was a kid. I had CZs, Jawas and Yamaha (YDS3 Catalina, 250 SS) when I was a kid.

Regarding the American with the 343-315/320 hp engine. I have only seen the guy once, but if I see him again, I will try to get the VIN #. There was a story about his car in the Winnipeg free Press, a couple of years ago.

This car was ordered, and sold in Winnipeg, Canada.

I do remember the mid to late 60's. All sorts of odd combos, seemed to be available, from different manufacturer;s, especially Chevy..

In answer to the other poster, it did have dual exhausts. I was quite taken with this little, plain jane, with the big power under the hood , and stripper interior, with that 4 speed, stick.

Les

Old 03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
markone
Freshman User
In December 1966 a 343 280hp Carter 4BBL was made available in any Rambler body style except wagons, a 235 HP 2 BBL 9:1 was offered on the Classic Marlin and Ambassador but not the American..the only tranny offered for the 343 American was a 4 sp, you could also get a 4.44 dealer installed gear set. The Rogue was equipped with a single exhaust and all Car and Driver could do with a a 3:54 rear end wide oval Firestones, dealer installed cam and traction bars was 0-60 in 7.9 and 15.8 in the quarter. Only 7 Rogue convertibles had the 343.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
lesmore49
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ringo Fonebone
I have always had a soft spot in my heart (head?) for these old Ramblers too. There is an American with a 401 that looks dead stock in Grandma green running around my town, it is the ultimate sleeper IMO.

AMC used to stick the most restrictive exhaust systems on their cars, for some unknown reason. Almost all their V8's that weren't in Javelins or AMX's came 2-into-one in a cross-mounted single muffler. I would say the the HP difference you are talking about, lesmore49, might almost be made up simply with the use of dual exhaust.

I can find nothing on the SC/Rambler to suggest that it was anything but a 1969 1/2 (late '69) car. A '68 would be an even more rare beast than your friends car if it can be authenticated..

Great thread!

RF
Ringo,

I don't know what part of Southern Alberta , your from, but in a previous post of mine on this thread, I talked about a place in either Edmonton (used to live there) or Calgary (wouldn't mind partially retiring in the Southern Alberta area) that had either an a body shop or junkyard compound that had a few old Marlins, parked, side by side.

For an AMC fancier, this was a gold mine. This was a few years back, so I don't know if they are still there. As I stumbled upon them, and now can't even remember which city they were in, I'm not much help.

I don't think I've ever seen a restored Marlin.

Les

Old 03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lesmore49, dads 38 Zupdapp powered with 46 Matchless G80 500 with 47 Triumph forks a homebrew bike, 61 Matchless Typhoon 600 G80TCS, 67 BMW R27, 71 R75/5, 73 & 74 Norton 850 Roadsters, 74 850 Interstate, 75 R90/6, 76 R90s Daytona Orange. The Interstate has original tires and break in decals, a International rally show winner, the R90s won Concourse de Elegance. Sold a Atlas (70 point) and a 69 Velo Thruxton (98 point). I can't get photos on this forum, was going to send a few but you have email block.
.....=o&o>.....

Old 03-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Les, I have lived in Medicine Hat, Barnwell, Ralston, Lethbridge, and Calgary, and some points in between. Although I was born in Taber I consider Lethbridge to be my hometown, and lived the longest in Calgary, so you can see why I say I am from Southern Alberta.

I avoid Edmonton like the plague.

I have seen several Marlins in southern Alberta here, never as many as you said. Dick Teague didn't like them and I don't either. They were some mishmash made up by AMC execs while Dick went on holidays, while working on what was to become the Javelin.. I have seen many Marlins in good original condition, but like you , never one restored. Oddities definitely hold my attention, but the Marlin was just too Nash-like for me. To each their own, IMO they belong in Edmonton!!!
LOL

RF

Old 03-09-2006, 05:15 AM
Bordaine
Elder User
Originally Posted by markone
In December 1966 a 343 280hp Carter 4BBL was made available in any Rambler body style except wagons, a 235 HP 2 BBL 9:1 was offered on the Classic Marlin and Ambassador but not the American..the only tranny offered for the 343 American was a 4 sp, you could also get a 4.44 dealer installed gear set. The Rogue was equipped with a single exhaust and all Car and Driver could do with a a 3:54 rear end wide oval Firestones, dealer installed cam and traction bars was 0-60 in 7.9 and 15.8 in the quarter. Only 7 Rogue convertibles had the 343.
Just a few updates
dealer installed gear sets were 3.73, 3.91, 4.10, 4.44, and 5.00
dealer installed cams were made by Crane
dealer installed traction bars were actually Torque Links that installed on the top of the axle tube going to the frame rail, the same ones that were on the 68/70 AMXs

Old 03-09-2006, 05:30 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One other item, again due to AMCs limited budget, their dealer installed performance upgrades or dealer offered consisted of Edelbrock intake manifolds. As a former Edelbrock and Holley warehouse owner, we used to get the manifolds from Edelbrock. The designation I remember for the single 4 bbl was R4B and it also had an AMC part number on it. The later engines, 304,360 and 401 were a bit taller if my memory is correct. A friend bought a used A sedan Javalin to race in SCCA and we found later it had actually been one of the factory race cars, the Traco Enginering one. The log book (required of all competition cars) traced it back to being put on the track in 1967, shortly after model introduction. I saw a Javalin at the now defunct Luhring Rambler in Norfolk Va. two weeks before it was shown to the public. I was able to sit in it in the back shop area, but couldn't take it for a drive until official release.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Bordaine
Elder User
85lebaront2
You will be getting A PM from BWAMX. I believe he might have one of the engines from the race car, in a street car, A 73 Jav AMX. The engine is a 390 destroked to 358ci. The heads were done by Traco and Valley Head service. It runs a BB Chevy road race grind cam. A factory crossram intake sits on the engine. The engine makes power, thru full exaust on the dyno, past 7400 RPM. He got this engine from a friend of ours who raced SCCA Kelly American Series.
Bob (BWAMX) please post some pictures of the engine.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:57 PM
lesmore49
Senior User
I bet, although I'm guessing, that's what the American with the 315/320hp-343 had, probably a dealer installed crane cam, edelbrock manifold, with AMC part #s, in addition to the dual exhaust. The guy who ordered it, apparently was interested in drag racing.

If i ever see the owner I'll ask him what he knows about the cars origins and post it on this web.

I do remember reading about an American that was used in SCCA racing about '67. Light, good handling, with a 290 enlarged to 305 cubes. Apparently it did reasonably well for a privateer, in those early days of Trans Am racing.

Ringo, the South Western part of Alberta has always appealed to me, especially the area between Waterton and Cochrane. When i lived in Edmonton, way back, I was amzed at the competition between Calgary and Edmonton. I was a transplant (from Manitoba) and I couldn't get over how the Calgarians and Edmontonians would give each other the gears.

All good natured ribbing. I prefer S/W Alberta, due to less Mosquitoes than Edmonton, which approaches Wpg., in bug counts.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:41 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Les, now your talking as that little 290 was a screamer after a little works done to it. A friend had a 66 American Rogue 290 4 speed that gave my stock Scrambler some trouble until I started working on it. Pulled the 390 out of the Javelin which was camed and ported, installed it in the Scrambler, too guttless went to a 401 which grew to a 458. That broke trans, drivelines and rearends on slicks besides a handful on the streets. Gas war and smog tests put the Scrambler and Javelin in storage for many years until they became smog exempt. Got a big offer from a friend on everything AMC I had including 5 motors, 3 390's and 2 401's.
You mentioned SCCA now that was a great era with Camero, Mustang and AMC. My friends had 65 goats and 442's, hated me as they got beat by a Rambler on the street as well track.
Les, I grew up on G80 Matchless, 9 out of 10 starts are one kick starts if properly tuned and you know what your doing. My dad refused to let me buy a Matchless twin so I got into 850 Nortons.
.....=o&o>.....

Old 03-09-2006, 08:19 PM
markone
Freshman User
Was it called the American X ?

no

Old 03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
bwamx
Freshman User
Hello Everyone ,
Some shots of my 73 Jav-AMX and engine parts.
Here is a link to some Pictures of REAL Traco and Factory Group 19 Parts.
The heads were done by Traco, Valley Head Service and Lockermans porting service in Calf.
The crank is a FACTORY forged steel 290-343 crank
The Rods are Factory Forged steel 290-343
The intake, Edlebrock crossram WITH Factory part number is a group19 pc, early version.
The oil adapter plate is factory for the right hand drive cars from Australia.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f381/bwamx/358/?start=all

The combo I'm running is a 390 block 290-crank/rods for displacement of
358 cu/in , it's a screamer! runs to 8000 rpm.

All of these parts have odd markings on them like engine #s or combo #s.

Don't have much time now I will try to post more this weekend.
BTW the TransAm 305 engines were destroked 390's Probably running Moldex
cranks. The 290 blocks were to weak .

Later
Bob

Last edited by bwamx; 03-09-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:18 PM
lesmore49
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
Les, now your talking as that little 290 was a screamer after a little works done to it. A friend had a 66 American Rogue 290 4 speed that gave my stock Scrambler some trouble until I started working on it. Pulled the 390 out of the Javelin which was camed and ported, installed it in the Scrambler, too guttless went to a 401 which grew to a 458. That broke trans, drivelines and rearends on slicks besides a handful on the streets. Gas war and smog tests put the Scrambler and Javelin in storage for many years until they became smog exempt. Got a big offer from a friend on everything AMC I had including 5 motors, 3 390's and 2 401's.
You mentioned SCCA now that was a great era with Camero, Mustang and AMC. My friends had 65 goats and 442's, hated me as they got beat by a Rambler on the street as well track.
Les, I grew up on G80 Matchless, 9 out of 10 starts are one kick starts if properly tuned and you know what your doing. My dad refused to let me buy a Matchless twin so I got into 850 Nortons.
.....=o&o>.....
I have a big single, the Yamaha SR500. At first, I had so much trouble starting it (no electric start) when warm, I just would let it idle, while I ran into a store to get a paper, etc.
The Yamaha has the TDC button, and a valve release, which helps a little, but as with most big singles, it is extremely tempermental. You follow the exact procedure, or you ain't riding. You need a big kick to get that baby, rolling.

I've got it down pat, now. Big singles have character IMO.

I'm thinking your Dad probably refused to let you buy Matchless twins, because the Matchless twin, didn't have a great rep for reliability, esecially the crank in some models.
My Matchless Scrambler was one of the last of the breed, and by the time, mine was put together, the Plumstead factory was putting Norton 750 twins in the frame. IMO, the Norton is a better engine.

I always liked late 60's AMC, performance, especially the AMX, 390's. Beautiful cars.
Les

Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Les, as far back as I remember as a kid dad was telling me Matchless twins were crap, sorry. He went to work on his scratch built bike 6 days a week for 19 years before rebuild, knocking was from a broken compensator spring not motor but he wanted to install his spare motor and test the Porsche piston.
Paid $150 for my first real bike back in 67, a 58 G-80 in street trim, a high school terror I was. Was given two 441 Victims, traded them and cash for a Combat Norton. I can't connect with you as I was going to email a few photos.
Some days you feel like a thump.
.....=o&o>.....

Quick Reply: AMC 343 V8 question