Where to live in the Atlanta Area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
WigWag
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to live in the Atlanta Area?

Hey all!!!

I recently got my orders to depart the great state of Alaska and move to the Atlanta area. I grew up in the southeast and have been to Atlanta many times, but never to live. So, my question is, where is a good, clean, relatively crime free, inexpensive place to live.

These are my general parameters...I can afford a house of up to about $220K...school districts should be reputable...shopping sould be reasonably close by for the Mrs...we would prefer neighborhoods rather than way out in the country, but not on top of other people either...I do not mind living up to 30 miles from work (East Point)...I ride a motorcycle, so any day I can ride it I will...

This is what I did so far...draw a 35 mile ring around Atlanta and made a note of most of the places I was familiar with..did an online real estate search to see what was in my price range, had houses I liked and was close to my parameters (crime rate, schools, shopping, etc..)...I consistently kept looking at homes in 5 areas...

Powder Springs
McDonough
Hampton
Villa Rica
Peachtree City

So, my question is, what do you all think of these places? And where else would you suggest? I am trying to limit my area to search to about 5 places/locations... I will have about 7 days in May to come down, look for a house and close the deal (or at least an offer)...if I make it any larger, it will be too overwhelming.

So, I welcome you ideas, reasons and suggestions...Also, I ride a 1998 Honda Shadow Aero 1100, so if anyone wants to stay in touch, meet and ride, that would be sweet. I would like nothing more than to meet some new friends and ride. I also will be buying a 2001-2003 SuperCrew once I find one to tow my bike up from FL where I left it.

Again, thanks for any help.

WigWag (Matt)

Old 02-28-2006, 03:49 PM
FiftySixEffie
New User
Matt,

Either one of your selections is good, though Villa Rica is a bit far - try Douglasville. Just stay away from the northern suburbs unless you love sitting in traffic (like me). If it were me Peachtree City would be my "best pick". Close to Atlanta a lot of new housing and of course golf carts. That place is golf cart city - seriously - there are cart paths to everything and everywhere in that town.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2006, 05:13 PM
captradiator
Elder User
Matt,

I have friends in Sharpsburg, near Peachtree City, only about five miles off I-85 (Exit 56). Quiet area, nice neighborhoods.

Johnny

Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
WigWag
Senior User
Thanks guys...

It is so hard to do this long distance and any help I can get, I will surely appreciate. I will look at both of those areas closely.

Matt

Old 03-01-2006, 04:51 AM
captradiator
Elder User
Matt,

Changing the subject, but, after looking at the photo by your user name, can you recommend a good book on General Lee?

Johnny

Old 03-01-2006, 07:57 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
Each of your choices have ups and downs. All are nice areas. Where will you be working?
That would be my deciding factor. Traffic is the pits. 35 miles to the north and commuting south, will bring tears to your eyes.

Try monitoring this webpage to get an idea of traffic flow.Georgia navigator

There is one plus if you like to go 4 wheeling, if you get stuck you only have to hook the wench up to one tree here. I know in Fairbanks, you have to wrap the cable around a group of trees. Very shallow roots up there.

Last edited by berkad; 03-01-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
WigWag
Senior User
Originally Posted by berkad

There is one plus if you like to go 4 wheeling, if you get stuck you only have to hook the wench up to one tree here. I know in Fairbanks, you have to wrap the cable around a group of trees. Very shallow roots up there.
Berkad,

You have no idea how true that is. Got stuck in a truck I used to have, hooked the winch cable around the base of a birch tree, and susequently pulled it over. Darn near hit the truck.

This has been a great place to live, but waking on days like today, -35F, which is still way off from what it can be, remind of why I am ready to leave. But, I will have fond memories.

As to where I will work, I am being assigned to Fort McPherson. I do not mind the 30-35 miles. I know the traffic stinks, but where can you go to avoid that besides live closer? I am not sure I want to live that close anyway. I like being away from work when it is quitting time.

CAPTRADIATOR,

When I first read what you asked, I thought you were asking about a book on the General Lee (from Dukes of Hazzard). I got it the second time I looked. I do not have any books that are specifically on him. However, one of my favorite books is "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. It is a Historical Novel, but uses a lot of the hsitorical documentation for the author to try and get tin the head of the General's on both sides and try and talk from a human perspective. It actually became the movie "Gettysburg" sevral years ago.

I am fascinated by the Civil War. More to the point, I am amazed at how the leaderrs on arguably the "wrong", losing side are so revered, such as Robert E. Lee. For instance, all three major Army posts in Georgia (Forts Benning, Stewart, and Gordon) are named for Conferate General. There are also several others, such as Fort Lee and Fort A.P. Hill. I could go on, but I digress. each time I go to a Civil War battlefield, I try to stand on the side of each of the combatants to see their perspective and analyze the terrain. It is a tool for me to understand my heritage better.

Gentleman, I appreciate your help. I will listen to your words, use the tool, and heed your advice. I truly appreciate it.

Matt

Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
I suggest you look towards Hampton, Mcdonough, Locust grove area. A buddy of mine works right behind McPhearson and lives in Hampton. He tells me it is around twenty minutes.

Ah yes, the Army, brings back fond memories. Fog is different here. It goes all the way to the ground.

Last edited by berkad; 03-02-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:54 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
What I can suggest is do not travel on I-285 (exits 20-45) or GA 400 when planning where to live for driving to and from work at normal hours. You do not want to travel on G-10 (Memorial Drive) pretty much the whole length.

Some of the outer communities are pretty good if you can travel Memorial drive during off hours. That is how I get to Atlanta. Avondale Estates has a pretty good school system. We originally moved to Decatur because the schools were rated an 8.0! It has some rough edges and the property crime is up there. I saved $180 on car insurance by moving. Still, if you buy a cheap house and have it paid off in ten years, it is money in the bank.

My real estate agent was great, as was her whole office, so much so she is doing the out of state locating for my mother in law who is moving here soon. Wish I had met her before we moved here blind. I ended up ditching $6000 on a lease to move.

I found her at my wife's church after I ditched one agent who could not be bothered to show a house when we were thinking about moving. On the current house she saved me over $300 a month between finance, tax advice, getting the price down, and playing hard ball getting me a home warranty from the sellers

Old 03-03-2006, 10:04 PM
WigWag
Senior User
Rebocardo,

Thank you for the great advice!! Since you were so impressed with your agent, would you mind me getting her contact information? I do not know if she would be interested in helping me locate a house south of Atlanta in the areas I previously mentioned. Right now, I am most interested in Peachtree City, Hampton and McDonough (and some of the towns close to those).

I also know of one other of my peers that is moving there too about the same time frame, so may be a good opportunity to help a couple of Soldier's out and make a quick commission.

I am looking at coming down to Atlanta in the middle to end of May for about a week to look and find somewhere to call home. A good agent would definitely help.

Once again, thanks for taking time to respond. Hope to get some more good information. I am really excited about my move.

Matt

Old 03-07-2006, 05:29 AM
captradiator
Elder User
Matt,

Neva and I spent the weekend in Sharpsburg and noticed the neighbor to our friends had a for sale sign in front, so I gathered some info for you. Four bedroom, three bath, two car garage, private in-law suite with bath, new carpet and paint, washer and dryer included, bonus room over garage, asking $208,000.
The lister is Keller-Williams Realty, Margie Wurl-agent. 1-770-964-0465 home, 1-404-550-3729 cell, 1-770-632-1112 office. Let me know if there's anything else we can do.