General Automotive Discussion

Air-bag question-1999 Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:34 PM
nascar88ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air-bag question-1999 Taurus

My sister has a 1999 Ford Taurus and the other morning she pulled out in front of someone. The car took a hit in the right front and busted the fiberglass front end. Ever since then the airbag light flashes code 19. I did a search and found that a Ranger airbag 19 code means "RCM crash memory full." Can i assume that this is the same code as a Ranger and where can you buy one of these?
-Matt

Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes......Ford Motor Co. for around $125-150. Did it not blow the bags?

Last edited by ncranchero; 02-21-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I just read up on code 19 too. This is the code you get when the airbag has been deployed, and you have to buy a new RCM(restraint control module) to fix it. This is the main air bag system brain box.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 AM
nascar88ford
Senior User
No, it didn't deploy the airbags. She was pulling out at a stop sign and she did not look. The other guy was coming and the right front of her car caught the right rear of his car. I will post some pictures if I can figure out how. Thanks for the help!
-Matt

Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 AM
2000Ford2000
Elder User
IMHO I think one of the crash sensors has tripped and needs replaced. I believe there are 3 and 2 have to trip to deploy the air bag.

This was what I found when a friend of mine hit a parked car and the airbag didn't deploy. They were surprised but I found that only one sensor had tripped.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:05 PM
nascar88ford
Senior User
Does anyone know where this computer is on a 1999 Taurus? Thanks for the help in advance.
-Matt

Old 02-25-2006, 04:50 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Air Bag Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS) Module
The air bag electronic crash sensor (ECS) module:

discriminates between an event that warrants frontal air bag deployment and an event that does not.
signals the inflators to deploy the air bags in the event of a deployable crash.
monitors the air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) for faults.
illuminates the air bag indicator if a fault is detected.
flashes the air bag indicator to indicate the lamp fault code (LFC) detected.
communicates through the data link connector (DLC) the current and historical diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
activates a chime in the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) if the air bag indicator is not available and another SRS system fault exists.

Component Location

Item Part Number Description
1 043B13 Driver Air Bag Module
2 — Air Bag Warning Indicator (Part of 04320)
3 14B321 Air Bag Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS) Module
4 044A74 Passenger Air Bag Module
================================================== ========
Module, Air Bag Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS)
Removal

WARNING: TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY, THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE REPAIRING OR REPLACING ANY FRONT OR SIDE AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) COMPONENTS AND BEFORE SERVICING, REPLACING, ADJUSTING OR STRIKING COMPONENTS NEAR THE FRONT OR SIDE AIR BAG SENSORS, SUCH AS DOORS, INSTRUMENT PANEL, CONSOLE, DOOR LATCHES, STRIKERS, SEATS AND HOOD LATCHES.

PLEASE REFER TO THE APPROPRIATE VEHICLE SHOP MANUAL TO DETERMINE LOCATION OF THE FRONT AIR BAG SENSORS.

THE SIDE AIR BAG SENSORS ARE LOCATED AT OR NEAR THE BASE OF THE B-PILLAR.

TO DEPLETE THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY GROUND CABLE AND WAIT AT LEAST ONE MINUTE. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT AUXILIARY BATTERIES AND POWER SUPPLIES (IF EQUIPPED).

WARNING: THE AIR BAG ELECTRONIC CRASH SENSOR (ECS) ORIENTATION IS CRITICAL FOR CORRECT SYSTEM OPERATION. IF A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH AN AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN A COLLISION IN WHICH THE CENTER TUNNEL AREA HAS BEEN DAMAGED, INSPECT THE MOUNTING AND BRACKET FOR DEFORMATION. IF DAMAGED, THE ECS MUST BE REPLACED WHETHER OR NOT THE AIR BAGS HAVE DEPLOYED. IN ADDITION, MAKE SURE THE AREA OF THE ECS MOUNTING IS RESTORED TO ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION.

CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to static electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage can result.

NOTE: Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and perform the diagnostic procedure again.

Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301) and wait at least one minute.
Pull back the floor carpet from underneath the instrument panel at the center tunnel and position out of the way.
Disconnect the air bag electronic crash sensor (ECS) module electrical connector locking clip and electrical connector.
Remove the ECS module retaining nuts.
Remove the ECS module.

Installation

WARNING: THE TIGHTENING TORQUE OF THE AIR BAG ELECTRONIC CRASH SENSOR (ECS) MODULE RETAINING NUTS IS CRITICAL FOR PROPER SYSTEM OPERATION.NOTE: Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and perform the diagnostic procedure again.

NOTE: Make sure to tighten the retaining nuts to specification.

NOTE: When the battery (10655) has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
Prove out the air bag system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 02-25-2006, 04:56 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Pinpoint Test C: LFC 19/DTC B1231 — Crash Data Memory Full

Normal Operation

WARNING: THE AIR BAG ELECTRONIC CRASH SENSOR (ECS) ORIENTATION IS CRITICAL FOR CORRECT SYSTEM OPERATION. IF A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH AN AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN A COLLISION IN WHICH THE CENTER TUNNEL AREA HAS BEEN DAMAGED, INSPECT THE MOUNTING AND BRACKET FOR DEFORMATION. IF DAMAGED, THE ECS MUST BE REPLACED WHETHER OR NOT THE AIR BAGS HAVE DEPLOYED. IN ADDITION, MAKE SURE THE AREA OF THE ECS MOUNTING IS RESTORED TO ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION.

WARNING: CLEARING DTC B1231 WILL POTENTIALLY REMOVE ALL RECORDS OF THE CRASH EVENT.

When the air bags are deployed during a collision, the air bag electronic crash sensor (ECS) module will flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 19 on the air bag indicator and store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1231 in memory. The LFC 19 and DTC B1231 indicate that a crash has been recorded by the ECS.

Possible Cause

Crash data memory full is caused by:

a crash event which deployed the air bags.

PINPOINT TEST C: LFC 19/DTC B1231 — CRASH DATA MEMORY FULL

C1 CHECK FOR HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC
Key off.
Connect NGS Tester.
Key to RUN.
Perform retrieve/clear continuous DTCs. Retrieve and record any continuous DTCs for use later in this pinpoint test.
Perform on-demand self test.
Was DTC B1231 retrieved during on-demand self test?
Yes No
This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault cannot be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the on-demand self test. INSTALL a new driver air bag module and passenger air bag module. GO to C2 . This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time. GO to C3 .

C2 CHECK CONDITION OF ECS MOUNTING BRACKET
Inspect ECS mounting bracket for damage.
Is there any damage to ECS mounting bracket?
Yes No
INSTALL a new ECS module. RESTORE the sheet metal to its original shape and structural integrity. GO to C3 . INSTALL a new ECS module. GO to C3 .

C3 CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL DTCs
Refer to continuous DTCs recorded during Step C1 .
Were any continuous DTCs retrieved during Step C1?
Yes No
Do not clear any DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved. GO to the Air Bag Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS) Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table in this section for pinpoint test direction. REACTIVATE the system. CLEAR all

Old 02-26-2006, 11:04 AM
nascar88ford
Senior User
Thank you so much for the help. I love this site. Another question- how do you post pictures on this site?
-Matt

Old 02-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
how do you post pictures on this site
Go up to the top of this page, and hold your mouse pointer over "Galleries". A menu should drop down. Go down the menu and click on "Manage/Create"

You will have to create a gallery, and follow the instructions. Basically you need to have a picture you want to post on your computer. I usually put it on my desktop so I can find it. It needs to be a jpg, gif, type picture file. When you are in "Manage/Create" you will see a box that says "Browse". Click on this, find the picture on your computer, open it, and then upload it.

If you want to experiment with it, go all the way down the forums, and at the bottom there is a testing forum you can use.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:56 PM
nascar88ford
Senior User
Thanks for the help. Here are some pictures.
-Matt
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=107933&.jpg
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=107934&.jpg

Last edited by Torque1st; 02-26-2006 at 08:09 PM.