North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

STOP The GAS TAX Hike...

Old 02-06-2006, 09:34 PM
mat-helm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry STOP The GAS TAX Hike...

http://stopthegastaxhike.com/

Go here and sign the petition. You can use a fake ph#, but file it out.

FACT

North Carolina politicians -- like the Arab Oil Cartel - are windfall winners from higher gas prices. N.C. divides the gas tax into two parts -- a flat 17.5 cents /gallon + 7% of the wholesale price. When gas prices rise, North Carolina politicians automatically have more money to spend. The wholesale price is up -- so drivers will pay a 15% tax increase beginning in January.

FACT

HIGH GAS PRICES ARE HURTING NORTH CAROLINA'S ECONOMY

More than two-thirds of 406 North Carolina business owners surveyed last week said gas prices are having a "drastic impact" on their business.

In the survey, conducted by the National Federation of Independent Business, 86.9 percent of the business owners said Gov. Mike Easley should follow other governors' leads and temporarily suspend the state gas tax of 27.1 cents per gallon.

"State government can't do something about the price of crude oil, but it can do something about the gas tax in North Carolina," said Gregg Thompson, state director for the federation. "We heard from one trucking company that they bought 4,000 gallons of diesel fuel a week. When you buy that much fuel, 27.1 cents a gallon makes an impact." (News & Observer, 10/8/2005)

FACT

HIGHER GAS TAXES ARE NOT IMPROVING OUR ROADS

• North Carolina drivers are paying $300 million a year in extra gas tax

• The Legislature has drained $1 billion out of the Highway Trust Fund in the last four years . using the money for regular government spending instead of for roads.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:14 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Temporarily suspend the gas tax? It's not going to be a good thing in the long run. I think we'd be better off fighting to have that tax actually go to road maintenance instead of the other things the government is using it for. If the tax were repealed, I see people rushing out to buy gasoline, increasing demand and driving the price right back up to where it is with the tax now...

Old 02-07-2006, 05:03 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
You're too close to Raleigh dude..lol But if you think that's even posable, I'll bet you believe all the new lottoy money is actualy going to go to the school system. Plus we've got the worst roads around, next to West Virgina of course.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
That's not what I said....I said we need to fix the problems with the government before we start messing with the repealing the gas tax.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:16 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
Temporarily suspend the gas tax? It's not going to be a good thing in the long run. I think we'd be better off fighting to have that tax actually go to road maintenance instead of the other things the government is using it for. If the tax were repealed, I see people rushing out to buy gasoline, increasing demand and driving the price right back up to where it is with the tax now...
I have to agree the problem is with the politicians using the money for other uses than the intended use.Also repealing the tax will also give them more opportunity for more and new taxes.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
No offence, but read at least the title of this thread. While I would like to repeal a lot of taxes ( gas included ), that is not what the petition is for. It's for stopping the the Jan 1 2006 3 cent increase.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:06 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
In the survey, conducted by the National Federation of Independent Business, 86.9 percent of the business owners said Gov. Mike Easley should follow other governors' leads and temporarily suspend the state gas tax of 27.1 cents per gallon.
that's what that guy is calling for. An additional 3 cents a gallon pales in comparison to the ~2.30 we are paying per gallon now. I could save that much per gallon if I just shopped around. My opinion is that we have bigger things to worry about than 3 cents on a gallon of gas. I am not going to sign the petition, but if anyone feels like they should sign it, I won't try to persuade him or her otherwise. High gas prices are likely here to stay, we may as well get used to them, myself included.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:51 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
What can I say? I guess you insist on turning this into a pro big government/ anti big government thread. The fact that by law, the gas tax is suppose to all go to our D.O.T. You admit that it has not (not so much an admission as it is a fact). So you want us to give them more money ( out of the pockets of those who can least afford it ) in the hopes that they will actually start doing what they're suppose to do.

Momma always said "worry about the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves". I'll let you worry about the "big" things, while I worry about the the nickel here, there and every where they can think of to stick a new tax or raise a percentage, and I'll do more good for the people every time.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
I'm about as frugal as anyone, and I don't like paying 2.30/gal for gas any more than you do. Take 3 cents off that and we're paying basically the same thing. I'm not saying any form of government is any better or worse than another. I think the NC government is not doing that great of a job honestly, but petitioning for repeal of an increased gas tax is not the first thing that comes to mind to fix it. Holding the government accountable for the DOT funds seems like something that would be more beneficial to the driving public. Again, I'm not arguing for anyone to not sign the petition or for any more or less government control/size, it's just my opinion that there are more important things we could point out to the government.

Last edited by EPNCSU2006; 02-07-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:37 PM
mat-helm
Senior User
So show me your "little red wagon" to improve the goverment and I'll do what I can to help. Until then, jump on or get out of the way..... weeeeeeheeheeeee

Old 02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
I wish I knew man....I'm outta the way