Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Throttle Response Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:32 AM
MinutemanCO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 Throttle Response Problems

I'm new here and a bit of a novice when it comes to diagnosing mechanical problems.

I own a 2000 F250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4. The only aftermarket engine modification I have is a Tymar intake. The problem I'm having started about 6 months ago in a very erratic fashion. I would pull up to a traffic signal and as the light changed to green, without warning the truck would have no throttle response. The engine was running fine; there was just no response as I stepped on the accelerator pedal. Usually when I put the transmission in neutral, revved the engine a few times, the throttle would come back on line. This happened 4 or 5 times over the summer and then went away completely until today. Today it came back with a vengeance. At one point I had to shut the engine down completely to restore throttle response. It’s a bit unnerving when it happens in the middle of a busy intersection.<O></O>

I was told that it may be the throttle position sensor. Does this sound correct and does it need to be replaced?<O</O

Old 01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
sc93f
Junior User
Sounds like the position sensor or IVS is acting up. Do you get an SES light when you push the pedal and get no response? I sprayed some contact cleaner on my IVS last year and it has been fine since. IF you can get a code number, it will isolate which part of the pedal assembly is acting up.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
MinutemanCO
New User
Please pardon my ignorance (I even tried to look up the acronyms you've used in the List of acronyms used here on FTE thread)...

What do IVS and SES mean? I do get a check engine light at the time of the problem. The light goes away though when throttle response is restored.

MMCO

Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Craig64
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SES = Service Engine Soon light

IVS = ?

Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 PM
akfalconer
Freshman User
IVS-Idle validation switch SES-service engine soon

As to to your problem I think the above poster's advice is a good place
to start.The whole go pedal is electically controlled and is known to
fail.Do you have access to a diagnostic tool?

Old 01-26-2006, 01:06 PM
MinutemanCO
New User
I don't have access to a diagnostic tool personally. My only option at this point is to come as close to a diagnosis as possible prior to bringing the truck to a mechanic to read the codes.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 AM
fcdoiron
New User
I too have the same problem where the check engine light (MIL) comes on, and the engine still runs at idle, but their is no throttle response. If I depress the gas pedal, this sometime resets the check engine light and I can proceed on my way. This used to happen infrequently, but is now happening so often I can drive for more than a few minutes. I have an ACTRON 9145 scanner, but it does not read any codes associated with the light!!! I am going to replace CPS based on other comments I've read, but I would like to know what your final solution worked out to be. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Well, here's an interesting new development.
www.ford-parts.com offers a replacement Throttle Position Sensor for $41.54.
At that price it's cheaper to just buy a new sensor and install it to see if that fixes it than it is to pay a shop for the diagnosis.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...99&catalogid=1

Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Hmmm, I just thought of something, that sensor may be for a gas engine. I'll go check it out some more.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Yeah, sorry guys, I would write them or call first before ordering that part, I think it's for a gas engine. It would pay to ask if you need one, diesel pedal assemblies are more than twice that price.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:55 AM
corpuspits
Junior User
Just fixed mine 450. it was the tps and a cut wire under the hood same problem you have and it got worse with time.Stealership fixed it about 3 weeks ago.They replaced the whole throttle assemble

Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 PM
ardvarkus
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Post. Have been collecting snippets over the years.

I had a CPS issue. Yours sounds like #2 below: (THis courtesy of some unknown post- perhaps flatratemechanic?)

1. Engine dies or runs rough intermittantly- Replace cam position sensor aka CMP. International part number 1825899C93 is latest version I have part number for.

<o =""></o>

2. Engine defaults to idle from any rpm and throttle no longer responds unless engine is shut off and restarted- Throttle pedal assembly related, almost always due to a conflict in readings of the idle validation switch and throttle position sensor. Ford uses a microswitch as an idle validation switch, it is part of the throttle pedal assembly and dust/dirt/lint/toe jam etc can cause the microswitch to stick intermittantly causing default to idle. Clean the switch with some electrical contact spray or replace as needed, Ford doesnt sell the switch separately and the complete throttle pedal assembly must be purchased.

<o =""></o>

3. Low power complaint when engine first started when cold. TC P0470-P0478. The engine backpressure control solenoid in the turbo pedestal starts to leak internally allowing oil pressure to close the turbo exhaust valve cutting off exhaust flow. Disconnecting the actuating rod is a temporary fix but the back pressure solenoid eventually starts to leak oil externally and turbo pedestal replacement is only cure. Also International has come out with a retrofit turbo up pipe kit to eliminate those pesky exhaust up pipe leaks at the turbo Y manifold donuts, I dont know if these also fit corresponding years of the PSD.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Welcome ardvarkus. Good first post.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
fcdoiron
New User
No Throttle Response

The dealer pulled the code P0221, which I was not able to with my scanner. You are right, the engine would idle and not accelerate due to a bad foot pedal assembly. Part cost $49.00 at the dealer. Since the powertrain was still under the 5 yr/100,000 mile warrantly, I only had to pay the deductible of $100.

Now it looks like I have problem #1, it won't idle while in drive, so I am planning on replacing the CPS.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 PM
mike94560
New User
My 2001 F250 7.3L diesel has the dreaded P0221 code. No throttle response. Idle is fine.
It is getting worse. New PCM but still not working. IVS works fine when I checked it with an analog multimeter. So I have to bite the bullet and have the dealer run diags on it.

On a side note. My F250 was recalled for the CMP. It already stranded me. They put in a new one in 2005 but now, 2009, a recall replaced even that part with a redesigned one.

Does Ford make anything electrical that does work????

Quick Reply: 7.3 Throttle Response Problems