Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Local Audio Expert Help Needed......

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 04:28 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local Audio Expert Help Needed......

....Okay...I give up....I throw in the towel....I'm beat and can't figure out how to kill the alternator whine noise in my stereo system in my '78 F150. It wasn't there with my previous cheapy Jensen cassette stereo. I have already exhausted every avenue via the FTE Audio Forum, except changing the RCA cables to another brand or changing my custom Taylor 9mm plug wires back to stock. So now, I'm asking for any help from you local audio experts. Would anybody be interested in coming over to help me troubleshoot this to figure out what I need to change/correct? I'm up in Owasso. I know we're not supposed to do any tech talk here, so I'm using this opportunity to ask for some local members to come over to help me figure this out. I can offer lunch and a cold drink if that would make it worth your while?.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Hmmm.... you should have said something about it the other night----we coulda taken a look (not that there is anything I can do----but it never hurts to have a fresh set of eyes take a look).

I'd be glad to come sometime, though I am unsure of when I would be able to make it.

STan

Old 01-24-2006, 05:51 PM
1975Ford
Postmaster
I think the part you are looking for is the capacitor or a noise suppressor (it is round, about 3/4 inch in diameter, and one wire attaching to it in the center), one is mounted by the coil and hooked up to the wire coming out of the coil, the other is mounted next to the voltage regulator. Take a look and see if your truck has either.

Last edited by 1975Ford; 01-24-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:01 PM
diamanti1
New User
Try going directly to ground....or running your ground directly to the battery...that is the primary cause of motor noise.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:24 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thanks, Stan. I figured it was too cold and dark to work on it at the meet.

1975Ford, yep, both caps are there; one on the coil, one on the volt regulator. I'll take them apart and clean the connections this weekend to see if that makes a difference.

diamanti1, yep, did all that as per very lengthy discussions in the FTE Audio Forum. It didn't help.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 AM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have a noise filter on the positive wire to the radio??? they are like 15 bucks at walmart...