Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Cummins?

Old 01-22-2006, 05:36 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Cummins?

Help me out here guys. I just heard around the neighborhood that Ford is going to put a Cummins engine in its trucks. The story is that Ford actually owns Cummins but couldn't use the engine because of an exclusive contract Cummins had with Dodge to provide engines to them for a specific period of time. Apparently that time has come to an end so ford can ditch IH and put the Cummins in their trucks. Myth or truth? Anybody know?

Old 01-22-2006, 05:49 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
yup its the truth. and dodge is gonna switch to the duramax,, and chevy is taking over the navastar contract.
and i know its true, cause i overheard the easter bunny tellin santy claws about it.

there is absolutly no truth to it, and anyone that says it is so is full of puppy muffins. and while we are lettin the air out of those idiots lies, ford does not own any of cummins

Last edited by tjc transport; 01-22-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish Ford would run a ad on national television say its
"DOES NOT OWN A PART OF CUMMINS" and a "FREAKING CUMMINS WILL NEVER BE IN A FORD LIGHT DUTY TRUCK"

Its just like a old record player stuck in a groove make one advertisement so the morons that keep talking about Ford owning a part of Cummins clue in Ford doesn't own a part of Cummins they did many years ago but sold it.

Sorry just tired of seeing people dreaming about a Cummins in a Ford if you want a Cummins so bad go buy a Dodge.

With all the new emission laws for diesels I really think there won't be light truck diesels for much longer. Its why Cat is deciding to get out of the small engine market they will sell nothing smaller than a 10 litre engine.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:33 PM
rbohm
Senior User
in 1994 ford did buy 10% of cummins, but as of jan 1, 1997, cummins has bought up all outstanding shares of stock, and thus is a private corporation again. ford does not now own ANY part of cummins. also fords engine contract with international runs through 2009 as i recall, and will likely be renewed.

as for the new emission laws, the diesel segment of the truck market is too lucrative for the auto makers to abandon. i think you will see new electronics, new cylinder heads, some form of catalytic converter, etc. i also think that biodiesel, and low sulfer diesel will be hitting the market soon, and that will help diesel emissions.

Last edited by rbohm; 01-22-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:21 PM
f460
Junior User
As stated Ford did buy into Cummins when they were in deep trouble inorder too keep engines coming for the heavy truck makers, Ford still had their Louisville line back then. Cummins regained financial profitability and bought out Ford's share.

That said, Ford is looking at Cummins for an engine for heavy duty F350 and larger models. Cummins has been shopping an engine with Ford which is not the current inline 6 used in Dodge and other medium duty trucks. Mercedes is rumored to be looking too replace Cummins with an engine that is more modern and they feel has a better chance of meeting future emmissions. Mercedes may well decide to do one themselves for the pickups.
I have been working evaluating small 2.2 liter diesels for use with the new standards coming in 2010. Right now there has been some hard work in Europe and Japan on under 3 liter sized engines. But correctly or not there are people in the industry who feel that the large engine manufacturers in the US are well behind in understanding what is needed to meet the heavy engine requirements. For this reason GM went with Izusu.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Don't listen to these guys. Ford has offered the Cummins as an option in their trucks for years. There are tons of Fords out there right now with Cummins engines. I had a chance to buy one a year ago. It was 5 ton '97 Ford F800 with a pick-up bed. Although the F800 is no longer offered you can still purchase a F650 or F750 with a Cummins and just throw a bed off a F350 on it and your set to go. Good luck, it's a fine combo Ford and Cummins.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:01 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Batgeek
Don't listen to these guys. Ford has offered the Cummins as an option in their trucks for years. There are tons of Fords out there right now with Cummins engines. I had a chance to buy one a year ago. It was 5 ton '97 Ford F800 with a pick-up bed. Although the F800 is no longer offered you can still purchase a F650 or F750 with a Cummins and just throw a bed off a F350 on it and your set to go. Good luck, it's a fine combo Ford and Cummins.

thats not new info. ford has had the cummins and cat option in the 650 and up trucks for a long time. the cat out sells 6:1.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Cummins option in Ford medium duty trucks has been around for a long time its nothing new. The 5.9 Cummins is a little out of its league in a heavy medium duty okay for schoolbus applications or low pro trucks with light gvw.

Ford F series medium duties are pretty much junk anyhow only the L series Fords were any good when you get past a 550.

The C-7 Cat is a better option in a medium duty especially in the Ford F-series as there is no option for ISC Cummins.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the rumor ever die? Its like every week someone asks about it or says ford owns cummins. By the way i heard a new one. The new rumor is that dodge is putting an allison tranny in with the cummins now. well wrong again its new venture gear

Last edited by guthrie&co; 01-24-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:35 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Ford F series medium duties are pretty much junk anyhow only the L series Fords were any good when you get past a 550.

if they are so bad why do they continue to keep getting top tier awards? they also outsell the TopKick

Old 01-24-2006, 08:26 AM
NightBiker
Junior User
Angry

Originally Posted by Kenworth

The C-7 Cat is a better option in a medium duty especially in the Ford F-series as there is no option for ISC Cummins.
JUNK?!? In your dreams. JUNK as expensive as F-series Diesels wouldn't sell as well as they have. I've owned two so far, and sold the first one after logging around 700,000 miles, and no it was not a grocery-getter. It looked like hell because hell is where I put it -but I woudn't (even when I sold it) think twice about fireing 'er up and heading anywhere in the country -though for me, recreation meant going into the woods in Alabama (about 8 hrs away) and getting some hunting time. My '99 7.3L is strong as an ox and trouble-free. The truck is used to haul tractors (farm) for my father and lately has been hauling blocks to and from my brothers' place -the thing sees different service and odd jobs, but the point is, it is NOT a 550 or bigger series, was never designed to be one. But taken against any other truck in its' duty range, I'd rather have it than any other.
By your comment, I could top it and tell you that if you needed anything of that size, get serious, get a conversion tractor, and you will THEN have a serious heavy-duty truck. I drove rigs for years, and while Cummins made an engine (especially its' signature series) that many lusted after, I personally had no use for 'em -and don't want one in my Ford- I was fond of Cats and the Detroit series 60 engine (hell of an engine) -but at 14liters, its a bit large to shovel under the hood of my truck.
Junk? Yeah, whatever pal.

Last edited by NightBiker; 01-24-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:13 AM
dPrasse01
Senior User
700,000 miles ??
Oh , how I wish I had a 7.3 over my 6.0 ..

Old 01-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
There seems to be a belief out there that Cummins is a far superior engine compared to all others. What a lot of people don’t take into consideration is that Cummins has a lot of deferent engines and levels of quality. While some of their engines are really good such as the aforementioned signature series most are just well nothing really to write home about. This is just normal business practice you have a deluxe, standard, and an economy line (guess which one Dodge uses). Cummins has just done a great job in marketing in getting people to associate their deluxe line’s quality with all their engines. In short it’s not really very accurate saying that a Cummins engine no matter what series is superior. It would be like saying every Ford product ever made was superior compared with all other automobiles. You would then need to explain the Pinto. Just to answer the original poster’s question No, No, and No.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:26 AM
NightBiker
Junior User
Originally Posted by dPrasse01
700,000 miles ??
Oh , how I wish I had a 7.3 over my 6.0 ..
700,000 was for the old 6.9L diesel. My 7.3 hasn't quite turned 200,000 yet. The 6.9 was an all -pure- mechanical diesel. Everything was mechanical on it -the only electricity used on that engine was for the glow-plugs to start it, (and yes, the starter motor itself) and the solenoid that was just an electrically switched valve to allow fuel to flow to the engine -if you replaced the solenoid with a mechanical valve and a pull-****, you could literally run that engine without batteries or alternator (once you got it started). It was very basic, and very very reliable. There just wasn't much to break on it. The injector pump controlled when the injectors would "fire", via timing based on gears run off the crank and cam.
My 7.3 on the other hand is an electronic nightmare -computer controlled injectors, just to begin with. Thats why the injectors for THIS engine cost 10 times that of the old one.