1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Body Swap to newer Frame - Title Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
wynn_r
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Swap to newer Frame - Title Question

I am planning a major component swap (engine, tranny, power brakes, power steering) between my 66 and 71. Either newer stuff into the 66 or a sheetmetal (cab) swap onto the 71. I live in Washington State and am concerned about the title issue. My question is this. Does anybody know if the WSDOT considers the VIN on the frame as the official VIN? I did a search on this forum but only found one thread that discussed this for other states. Thanks! rod

Old 01-13-2006, 04:13 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rod, when I moved my '66 from South Carolina to Washington in 1982, they looked at the frame VIN.
Other states do similar things at titling time, and some do it when there is an accident.
For this reason, especially if somone is as mobile as I have been, I discourage frame swaps.
Now, there is a way to do a frame "repair" which is the swap.
I am unaware how to do the paperwork for that, though.

Can't help you beyond that, sorry.

Last edited by banjopicker66; 01-13-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Man that's a tough state for title registration; I though my state was hard; I guess doing two forms of paper pushing isn't that bad after all.

Mitch

Old 01-14-2006, 11:50 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Best thing to do is call the DMV and ask. I oregon DMV said it went by the frame #. I put a 65 body on a 66frame, but when I got it to the DMV office they gave me the option of a 65 title or 66.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:39 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
titles

Wynn, I don't think much of titles, and don't bother with them anymore. But I'm thinking the guys are correct, that most states are going to claim to go buy the frame number. That said, I seriously doubt that anyone at your local DMV even knows where to look for that number on the frame. I would bet some really big money the cops in your area don't know where the numbers are either. Here's what I did when I still bothered with such things. I put a cab, front fenders and hood on a differant frame. I drilled out the rivets in the door, and cut out the number from the dash. So I had the numbers that my original title expected the the truck to have. The one on the dash was just laying there, and I used sheet metal screws to do the door plate. That way if an officer looked at my numbers for some reason, it would look like they expected. Therefore, if you put the '66 body on a newer frame, I would go with the '66 title and vin. If somebody were to wonder if it were stolen or not, a number for a '71 on what looks like a '66 would cause lots of questions, wouldn't it ? DF, @ his Dad's

Old 01-15-2006, 04:59 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Rod, I think most states use the frame number as the absolute. Most will accept the door plate. North Carolina will issue you a NC replacement number on a metal door tag for a vehicle that needs one.

John

Old 01-15-2006, 06:54 AM
CustomCab4x4
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Body swap to newer frame - VIN numbers?

I was faced with that same question here in Indiana when using a 64 body on a 79 frame. I called the state police and asked them what THEY would look for. I explained that I have clear titles to both vehicles but of course the frame number won't match the door tag numbers. He asked me what the truck 'LOOKS' like. I said it looks like a normal 64. So he told me that's what they would consider correct. Meaning they will use the 1964 door tag number. He did say to hang onto that 79 title in case I ever sold it though. That makes the whole thing a lot easier to document, especially if it's sold out of state. Of course if THAT happens, it means I'm dead and gone and one of the kids got rid of it.

He went on to explain that since I have had this vehicle for several years and had it plated before,(when it was a stock 4x2 F-100) that I don't really need to do anything at all. Just get tags and drive it. None of this other stuff will come into the picture unless it's sold.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:28 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Are we over thinking this? I have registered a lot of vehicles here in CA and have never once seen any of the DMV staff even try and look for an ID number anywhere but the door or dash.
I have a friend that buys salvaged vehicles and swaps frames and half frames all of the time and he has never seen CA DMV look anywhere but the easy locations.

I say you play dumb show them the door tag and say as far as I know it has the original frame. Or get it registered before the fram swap and never tell.
What they don't know won't hurt them.

jd

Old 01-15-2006, 10:39 AM
66beater
Senior User
Cut the number off your original frame and weld it in place of your new frame's number. if the DMV or anyone ever asks, explain "I didn't do a frame swap, I just replaced Most of the frame."

Old 01-15-2006, 10:57 AM
CustomCab4x4
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A little nip here, a little tuck there.

Originally Posted by 66beater
Cut the number off your original frame and weld it in place of your new frame's number. if the DMV or anyone ever asks, explain "I didn't do a frame swap, I just replaced Most of the frame."

I thought about that too. Cut a piece out and TIG it back on the donor frame real nice. Only thing is since that's a felony and it smells of 'chopshop' tactics, I didn't want the extra scutiny. I'll just leave well enough alone and keep it till I die.

Last edited by CustomCab4x4; 01-15-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:13 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Guys, I really don't think there will be a problem with a 40 year old pickup in any case. I am surprised what some states do. I think Ga or Texas stops using titles after a while. I go to a contract agent in a mall for title work and picking up tags in my area.

John

Old 01-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Shorty 66
Senior User
I live in Colroado and just did a frame swap from a 62 4x4 to a 77 4x4 and the DMV only looked at the door tag. I've bought alot of out of state trucks and had to get the VIN verified and they have NEVER looked at the frame, I think the people looking at don't know anything about these trucks and would have no idea where the frame # is.

Ross

Old 01-16-2006, 12:09 PM
TremecGT
Senior User
Do NOT weld over the old frame number! In Cali, if you are putting a vehicle together that has never been registered or fell out of reg long ago, it needs to go to the Highway Patrol for a vin inspection. I can assure you that the Vin officer knows where the secondary vins are located and if it is welded over, expect the CHP to cut your frame up to determin the original frame number. Registration goes by frame number in CA. Much easier to leave the newer frame number and explain with paper work rather than explain why you have an altered(covered up) vin which is a felony. I have seen guys bring in restored vehicles only to find out that the secondary vin confirms vehicle is stollen. Then the new "owner" gets to remove what ever component he can prove that he payed for (reciept) from the stolen and the recovered vehicle goes back to the insurance company or previous owner. Obviously lots of lost time and money involved in that. There is a guy right now removing parts from a stolen Honda 250R three wheeler. We also just recovered a stolen 70 camaro that was stolen in the 80's!

Now if and when I do swap, I plan on keeping the 65 registered as a 65 and keeping the paperwork on the later frame handy if the issue ever comes up.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:55 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT.
As far as I know, WA State still compares the title to the frame VIN. Yes, the trooper was in coveralls, and used a wire brush on the frame.
The best thing is to register the one you are concerned about, then do the swap.
Or, to find out the proper, legal, paperwork approved way to do this.
Since I moved around a lot in the Army, I didn't want to risk having title problems, so I made all my changes to my '66 frame.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad im in Ga..i do ALOT of frame & body swaps..older than 20 years needs no title..just a bill of sale..& even if you dont have a bill of sale for anything..a local insurance agency will let you buy whats called "Assurance" papers from them for 100.00 & take the paper work to the courthouse..35.00 more ..new title in mail 2 weeks later..ive had to buy the assurance for my 86 F250 diesel 4x4 because the title was an old one..& get this..i bought it from a state cop & he kept giving me a run around about the title issue....
we also have no inspections what so ever..just register the vehicle..buy a tag..on your way & you are also allowed to drive a vehicle 30 days without tags after buying it as long as insured it untill you get it transfered

Quick Reply: Body Swap to newer Frame - Title Question