Local Off Road Trails???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
kc7smo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local Off Road Trails???

Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if there are any good locations to stretch out the 4x4 around Utah County? Theres always the good old standby's, like Moab and Cedar City, but I would like something a little closer when your just looking for some Saturday fun.
Thanks everyone!

Old 01-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Dett
Junior User
I can't be much help for Utah county since I live in Washington county. Sounds like you know about many of the roads down here. However, I purchased a topo map of Utah a few years ago. When we travel around the state, we use it to find the less beaten path. They work pretty good. Although it doesn't have all the local roads that only the locals usually know about. I bought ours at Costco. Have also bought a few other western state maps that help us find new areas. We don't like to get super far off the beaten path since I have two small children. Don't have the energy to carry them out if I had to.
Dett

Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 AM
mbryson
Cross-Country
There's some OK areas around 5 mile pass (take the road west out of Lehi, through Cedar Fort and west again from there about 4-5 miles). How is your 4x4 set up?

Old 01-16-2006, 11:14 AM
R Rocks
Senior User
Mbryson is right, thats the area I had thought about and not to far from you.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:52 AM
mbryson
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by R Rocks
Mbryson is right, thats the area I had thought about and not to far from you.
I know a few trails. Not for my F*rd, though. It drags my junk there.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 PM
kc7smo
Senior User
Originally Posted by mbryson
There's some OK areas around 5 mile pass (take the road west out of Lehi, through Cedar Fort and west again from there about 4-5 miles). How is your 4x4 set up?
Nothing too fancy, 1988 F150 4" lift, stock tires, open diffs. When I have the money, I am going to put 33's on with 4.10's. Then when I am feeling really rich I will get lockers, I'd like ARB since its also my daily driver.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
mbryson
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by kc7smo
Nothing too fancy, 1988 F150 4" lift, stock tires, open diffs. When I have the money, I am going to put 33's on with 4.10's. Then when I am feeling really rich I will get lockers, I'd like ARB since its also my daily driver.

Sorry, I've been busy the past few weeks. You'll love the ARB. Get them installed by someone that knows what they are doing. Six States is really good about the ARB. I know people in the Salt Lake and Ogden shops and they're worth going to. I've heard good things about the guys in Orem, but I don't personally know them.

Also, Kurt Williams (www.cruiseroutfitters.com) is a GREAT vendor and could recommend an installer for you. He specializes in FJ Cruisers (shock!), but will get you what you need and makes you feel like he appreciates your business.

I'm going to try an Eaton electric in the front of my YJ (Dana 60), but mostly because I liked the selectability of the ARB.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:39 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
If you want a nice easy (scenic) drive you can always try skyline drive. Goes from Farmington to Bountiful up over the mountain. You don't need 4 wheel drive but I'm sure there are plenty of offshoots you may be able to get in some wheeling. Don't think I'd try it anytime soon though. Probably around 10' of snow up there right now.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:49 AM
kc7smo
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies everyone...

I found a website http://www.utahoffroad.com that has some good trail descriptions, etc. Many of which have already been mentioned here.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 PM
OldSHO
Junior User
I know quiet a few trails, the only thing is is how much do you want to push your vehicle? and how well you can drive.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
mbryson
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by OldSHO
I know quiet a few trails, the only thing is is how much do you want to push your vehicle? and how well you can drive.

I'll push my YJ pretty hard. (38" tires and D60 front)..... The F*rd doesn't get used much off-road.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:35 PM
OldSHO
Junior User
I go to a lot of ghost towns which alot of them if you don't have 4 wheel drive then i wouldn't even try. it also depends on how far you want to travel. cause there is one out by stockton called jacob city, and then there is one in box elder county call boston terrace (we rolled a suburban on this one). boston terrace is a harder one to get to and a lot more dangerous than jacob city. jacob city you have a lot of places where the road has washed out. so you get to make your own. it was really fun

Old 02-06-2006, 04:12 PM
mbryson
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by OldSHO
I go to a lot of ghost towns which alot of them if you don't have 4 wheel drive then i wouldn't even try. it also depends on how far you want to travel. cause there is one out by stockton called jacob city, and then there is one in box elder county call boston terrace (we rolled a suburban on this one). boston terrace is a harder one to get to and a lot more dangerous than jacob city. jacob city you have a lot of places where the road has washed out. so you get to make your own. it was really fun
Old ghost towns are cool! Where's Boston Terrace? Box Elder county is pretty big

Old 02-28-2006, 12:29 PM
OldSHO
Junior User
all i have are the gps corrdinance. but you have to follow the railroad track road (hope you like trains alot). but its barley off of what I think is hill fields testing grounds. let me see if I can get the info off of the gps and the book that told me about it and get back to you. if you want to know what book it is, the book was called SOME DREAMS MUST DIE. it is no longer in print. but thats how I find a lot of the ghost towns that I visit.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:53 PM
mbryson
Cross-Country
Did you ever find those GPS coordinates? Ghost towns are pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Local Off Road Trails???