Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Who Does good PAINT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:29 AM
okie65
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who Does good PAINT!!!

Hey everyone......don't feel like driving around for estimates. I know referrals go a long way in my book, so I'd like some help on finding someone in the Norman/Blanchard/Newcastle area that could do me a really good paint job at a reasonable price. I have a 1968 F-100 with about 52,000 original miles on it and it only needs a fresh coat of paint to make it look pretty even better. I thought about MAACO, but they frighten me......never really heard anything good. I would appreciate any input you all might have.

Have a Ford Day!

DB
Newcastle OK

Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not even think about Maaco. They are not worth the money or time. You may try Darren's paint and body in Newcastle. There is also Mike's paint and body in Newcastle too. I'm not real sure how reasonable either of those will be, but they may be worth stopping in talking to to them since they are close. Good luck.

hotrod48

Old 01-09-2006, 01:47 AM
okie65
Freshman User
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the post! A few years ago, I went and got a quote from Darren's and it was frightening. Someone told me that they deal primarily in insurance claims. I'll try them again and see if anything has changed. Mike's......is that east of the light of hwy 130? If it is, he quoted me about 2500 with no body work. I don't know if that's reasonable or not. In fact, I don't know what is reasonable. There's a new place on hwy 76 but I haven't heard anything about that one.... guess I need to get off my butt and start getting quotes and compare. Hey thanks for the response!

DB

Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 AM
hotrod48
Elder User
Originally Posted by okie65
Thanks for the post! A few years ago, I went and got a quote from Darren's and it was frightening. Someone told me that they deal primarily in insurance claims. I'll try them again and see if anything has changed. Mike's......is that east of the light of hwy 130? If it is, he quoted me about 2500 with no body work. I don't know if that's reasonable or not. In fact, I don't know what is reasonable. There's a new place on hwy 76 but I haven't heard anything about that one.... guess I need to get off my butt and start getting quotes and compare. Hey thanks for the response!

DB
I wasn't really sure about Darren's but I guess it makes sense though. Mike's is east of Hwy 62 on Hwy 130 (I have never been there or seen his work though). $2500 almost seems a little high for just paint. With the place on Hwy 76, I haven't seen any of his work either. You may try Johnson's on Hwy 9 (Not sure on their pricing but I think they do good work).

hotrod48

Old 01-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
$2500 for a paint job is nothing anymore. That wouldn't buy the paint on some jobs. A friend of mine painted his truck himself about 10 years ago and the plain red paint cost him nearly $1000.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:47 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Don't know of any in that area. Though I think rogerf100 did have one of his trucks painted by macco a while back? I think he still has pics in his gallery of the green 70 something pickup. It looked good to me, but I never got to see the paint up close in person before the truck was sold.

If it were me, I'd be very very tempted to buy my own paint(professional auto grade) and paint the truck myself.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
ranger240
Elder User
flair in moor does outstanding work. they do alot of insurance, but they also do alot of custom stuff from what I understand. and if the guy's S-10 down the street from me turned out like it did, I'd say it's a safe bet theyd do you right. not sure of the cost though, I am sure if you want a really good paint job, then be prepared for a big punch in the wallet. if you want it to be better than it was new, then custom concepts on shields and SE89th is the way to go. they estimated mine at a MINIMUM of $10K, so I opted not to go there, but they do a complete body off, full prep (all surfaces inside and out) plus they do what I took as a galvanizing process that they say seals the metal from all moisture before they lay the first coat of primer. the guy there said that the paint WILL last atleast 10 times longer than the factory stuff that is going on new cars now. but then $10K minimum is a pretty big chunk of change.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Originally Posted by ranger240
if you want it to be better than it was new, then custom concepts on shields and SE89th is the way to go. they estimated mine at a MINIMUM of $10K, so I opted not to go there, but they do a complete body off, full prep (all surfaces inside and out) plus they do what I took as a galvanizing process that they say seals the metal from all moisture before they lay the first coat of primer. the guy there said that the paint WILL last atleast 10 times longer than the factory stuff that is going on new cars now. but then $10K minimum is a pretty big chunk of change.
If you get Custom Concepts to do it, your doing good. I have heard that they mainly do work for the Pleasure's car club (Not sure though). I do believe that Flair does good work. If you do everything correctly on paintwork, it should last longer than factory. Just please stay away from Maaco. Anyway, good luck.

hotrod48

Old 01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
okie65
Freshman User
Smile Good info!

Well if I've learn anything from these posts, it's.....(1)...MAACO is not someplace I'll go and (2 )maybe $2500 isn't so bad (3) just when you want to do something "extra" on your truck.....the clutch goes out......and (4) I'm too poor too ride around in a shiny truck!

I'll stay away from the 10 grand paint jobs, not planning on showing anything, just would like it to look nice.....besides, I know the wife wouldn't understand the need. (I do) Think I'll give Johnson's a peek and maybe that Flair place in Moore. But I'd really like to keep my business in this area if possible, keep things local if you know what I mean.

I also thought about letting the body shop pinstripe their logo on my tailgate or something.....maybe the free advertising will get me a deal, just a thought.

Anyway, Tax refund time is coming and hey.....the Lottery kicks up a notch on the 12th....who knows maybe I'll win. Wherever I end up going or at least the estimates, I'll be sure and keep you all "posted". Thanks.

DB

Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Another thing to remember is that 99% of a great paint job has nothing to do with the paint. I'd take a $500 Macco paint job on top of $2000 worth of body work long before I'd take a $2000 paint job over $500 worth of body work. What's underneath is usually what makes or breaks the job.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Originally Posted by Silver Streak
Another thing to remember is that 99% of a great paint job has nothing to do with the paint. I'd take a $500 Macco paint job on top of $2000 worth of body work long before I'd take a $2000 paint job over $500 worth of body work. What's underneath is usually what makes or breaks the job.
Prep work is a very important factor. If not prepped right, the paint will not last long at all. There is no such thing as too clean. Good paint always helps too.

hotrod48

Old 01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
rogerf100
Elder User
If you want to see a real nice paint job by a local, pick up a copy of Street Trucks mag and turn to page 100. Parkers Paint & Autobody Norman OK 360-8664. I know the guy that did this work, Mat Parker, and he has done some other really nice cars and trucks. You may have seen him racing his Mustang at Thunder Valley.

You may not want a flame paint job like the one in the mag, but he can do just about anything you can dream up.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:10 PM
74 F100 351m
Elder User
We did this for $150.00 rattle can. Not to bad for his frist truck.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:54 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
Originally Posted by rogerf100
If you want to see a real nice paint job by a local, pick up a copy of Street Trucks mag and turn to page 100. Parkers Paint & Autobody Norman OK 360-8664. I know the guy that did this work, Mat Parker, and he has done some other really nice cars and trucks. You may have seen him racing his Mustang at Thunder Valley.

You may not want a flame paint job like the one in the mag, but he can do just about anything you can dream up.
Is that the guys son where I picked up your old rear end from? If so, I have seen his Mustang at TVRP and it looked pretty good. I don't have Street Trucks mag, but if it's in there it has to be nice.

hotrod48

Old 01-17-2006, 12:27 PM
rogerf100
Elder User
Originally Posted by hotrod48
Is that the guys son where I picked up your old rear end from? If so, I have seen his Mustang at TVRP and it looked pretty good. I don't have Street Trucks mag, but if it's in there it has to be nice.

hotrod48
That's the guy, you met his stepdad. His Dad is retired and helps him out with the work. he has picked up several jobs from that article.

Quick Reply: Who Does good PAINT!!!