Broken truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:20 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken truck

Well here's the story about it.

It first started Sunday when my cousin asked me to come out to Chandler park with him, I was thinking hey, this can't be too bad, I'll take the easy trails with my mostly stock Bronco II. Well we get in there and right away my cousin gets stuck in a mud pit, he was up to the frame in mud and you couldn't see the tires. By the way he was driving a 73 GMC Sierra with 35" Buckshot mudders and he was in 4-low and was just burrying himself more so I didn't think I needed to be out in that. I ended up pulling out this 10,000 pound beast with my little Bronco II but the place we hooked up to on the frame slipped and the hook caught my bumper and half of it ripped off.. I would've thought it would've been stronger but the welds broke. So here I am a little POed about that but he said he'd make me a new one (which is fantastic because he welds and I want a stainless dual tubular bumper and he's going to pay for it lol). Well now my tranny is making some weird whining noise and I'm thinking this can't be good, and then some pump sounds like it's dying so I say we should go home and do it some other time.

Well there I only had a broken rear bumper, nothing too bad untill I was on my way home, and I was about a mile from my house untill I remembered that the road was closed down and I'd have to make a 3 mile detour. So I come upon the stop sign and about to turn and my tranny slips then I get it to go and smoke is now coming out behind me and everything and I make it about a mile to somewhere I could pull over at and turn it off and then there's a huge puddle of oil and a line of oil as far as the eye can see lol. So now I'm taking the time that it's not working to go ahead with the performance side too. I'm taking the engine apart now and I'll be porting and polishing the heads and manifolds and get the heads cut down a little. New freefloating lifters and pushrods will be put in and a new torque converter will need to be in along with front tranny seal. I believe I'll be up and running again then. Any suggestions or anything would be great or if you want to say how much you feel sorry for me that works too, lol. Or if you just want to say hey, that works too.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:35 AM
A_G
Posting Guru
Hey atleast it went out with a big bang.....LOL

Sorry to hear..i guess look on the brightside youll be making it go fast soo nenough

Old 01-03-2006, 04:54 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
yea that's the bright side, but the tunnel looks dark for now.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:16 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Ugh, that's a bummer. Sorry to hear about it. The bumper should be an easy enough fix. But the tranny and engine work will take some time and $$$. Good luck. Congrats on the new job! (What happened to that Port of Catoosa job you told us about?)

Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Grant12
Senior User
Did you say the little bronco pulled out that big gmc that's awesome not worth the damage always a good story to brag about sorry about the damage but sounds like this kicked you into high gear what motor is in the bronco?trans?Get those mods in theres a bunch of chevys that need to be pulled out!hahahaha appreciate ya!

Old 01-03-2006, 04:30 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the BroncoII breaking. But, look what you pulled out of the mud. Take your time on building that engine back the proper way. It'll look good with that stainless tube bumber on it!

Mike

Old 01-04-2006, 02:56 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
The Port of Catoosa job has been delayed to late summer, they also basically sent all their employees on paid time off while they're putting in new machines to maximize their output for space there. But I'll be hired on along with a few other guys and be trained and then start work when the old guys come back to work.

I'm looking forward to the stainless bumper, I don't know if you guys remember but I had an aluminum tube bumper, so now it'll be shiny. But I'm going to take the time to build it up, I've basically been waiting for a time when I could do this, and this is a good time. Once it's built up a little more I think I'm going to go with 33" mudders, new rims, and might add a body lift so I'd have 7" of lift.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:06 AM
shadetreerep
New User
speaking of bumpers i have a hd pipe one that may fit a s10. i was going to scrap it out.i have nothing it well fit. but if anyone could use it. welcome to it.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:16 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
So how goes the rebuild, Jerome? Let's see some pics of the beast in progress.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:31 PM
shadetreerep
New User
as soon as i can find out how to bring the pics over i well post them.have the old beast running. now working on paint. bob sperry

Old 02-15-2006, 01:08 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
That rebuild isn't going too well. I've been having second thoughts lol. I need money for one thing, and the other is I have a friend that I think is going to give me a 351w w/ tranny so I don't want to get my engine all up and running since I've been planning on a 351 swap anyways.