1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Windshield Washer fluid reservoir removal

Old 12-27-2005, 02:18 PM
bingo begone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Washer fluid reservoir removal

I have a 99 Expedition EB. I am trying to get to the LSS compressor, but am having trouble removing the fluid reservoir for the washers. How do you remove the main electrical/piping hookup? and is the LSS compressor hard to replace?? Thanks

Old 01-29-2006, 05:01 PM
rschleicher
Freshman User
Bingo, sorry to not be offering help here, but I have the same question. I pordered the LLS noise reduction kit, and step one for installing it is to remove the washer fluid tank. I agree with you that it is not obvious the best way to do this. It MAY be that taking the battery out first lets you see some mounting bolt underneath, but I thought I'd try and find out first if that was really necessary.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:20 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
There is a mounting bolt that is sandwiched between the base of the tank and the battery tray. I resorted to removing the battery when I needed to remove the tank.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:40 AM
bingo begone
Freshman User
Thanks, I was afraid that the battery would have to go. I did get to the bolt, but what's the trick on removing the connection to the wiper tank? It's the big one on the engine side of the tank, it's either water or electrical, I can't tell, but I'm afraid to force it without knowing what I'm doing. Any ideas?

Old 01-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Phil056
Senior User
I just had to replace my washer pump this past weekend. You don't have to remove the battery to take out the reservoir tank. There are three bolts that keep the tank down. The easiest one is on the fender at the top, the other one on the fender is at the bottom right next to the battery. The third is between the battery and the tank, you can see an indent in the tank to use an extension on your ratchet set to take off that bolt. I actually used two extensions together to reach the lower fender one. It took some time but it came out. I needed to take off the battery plastic cover though, b/c it blocked enough access to get the bolts out.
As far as the connections go, to take off the connection for the pump, you need a thin flat headed screwdriver to insert it into the open side of the connector (towards the tank) and while putting some pressure on it you can lift it up. Be careful, b/c the plastic can snap. The same thing goes for the low washer connector (closest to the battery). After these have been disconnected, just use some light pressure and pry off the washer fluid hoses that come out of the pump (it's easier to drain the reservoir first b/c they will drain from the pump).
Then just move the resevoir around a bit and you should be able to take it out.
Don't have the LSS so I can't help you there.
Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck,
Phil

Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 AM
mustangboy0212
New User
washer tank removal

To remove the tank, does the pump need to come off first with connection still attached or the connections from the pump disconnected first then the tank removal? Also the connectors, water lines and electrical plugs are logged on so what's the best way removing these connectors? The AC lines are blocking me.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 AM
b.wag
New User
Thumbs up

I just removed the washer fluid reservoir from our '02 Navigator yesterday. I found this web site and thread and it helped. I think I'll hang out a while here, if y'all don't mind!

Thought I'd expand a bit on the washer reservoir-

3 bolts hold the tank on, two are easy to spot, the top one on the fender, the 2nd is between the tank and the battery. There's a small divot cast in the tank to allow access to this bolt. The 3rd one is also on the fender and is well hidden. It's towards the bottom of the tank and between the tank and the battery. You'll need a long extension to reach it. There is just barely enough roon between the A/C lines and the fender to pull the tank.

You can leave the fluid hoses connected, they're long enough to allow you to remove the tank w/ the hoses attached. As mentioned previously, you'll need a small flat blade to remove one of the elec. connectors, the other one comes out with steady pressure.

My wife thought we had a leak/crack in the tank. She's pretty sharp so I took it at face value... she reported it kept draining itself as soon as it was filled. I pulled the tank and left the hoses connected and filled it to find the leak. No leaks. I turned on the ignition and ran the wipers; nothing coming out but I hear the motor so that's good. After maybe 2 minutes I see water coming out, right at the firewall on the passenger side next to the fender. The hoses are so deeply routed ther's no way to get a visual on them. I crawled underneath but couldn't see or feel anything. I open the passenger door and the floorboard was wet! I pulled the kick plate, and started feeling around, (right where all that good electrical stuff is, like the switch for the air suspension system.) The tubing comes through there and there's a union there that had somehow completely pulled out and was just draining the tank over all the wires and onto the floorboard. put it back together and wrapped it w some elect. tape and we're good to go.

Thank goodness I decided to disassemble before buying any parts!

Now, time to fix the rear wiper motor...

Best of luck,
b.wag

Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM
c_hohensee
Elder User
Had a simialar leak a few years ago, mine ended up inside the fender liner. Same deal, union pulled apart fixed with hose clamps.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
mustangboy0212
New User
does not answer my question

b.wag

b.wag: How did you position the tank to get by the AC lines? Because with the pump motor attached to the
reservoir, it will not get by the AC lines.

Thanks, Gary

Originally Posted by b.wag
I just removed the washer fluid reservoir from our '02 Navigator yesterday. I found this web site and thread and it helped. I think I'll hang out a while here, if y'all don't mind!

Thought I'd expand a bit on the washer reservoir-

3 bolts hold the tank on, two are easy to spot, the top one on the fender, the 2nd is between the tank and the battery. There's a small divot cast in the tank to allow access to this bolt. The 3rd one is also on the fender and is well hidden. It's towards the bottom of the tank and between the tank and the battery. You'll need a long extension to reach it. There is just barely enough roon between the A/C lines and the fender to pull the tank.

You can leave the fluid hoses connected, they're long enough to allow you to remove the tank w/ the hoses attached. As mentioned previously, you'll need a small flat blade to remove one of the elec. connectors, the other one comes out with steady pressure.

My wife thought we had a leak/crack in the tank. She's pretty sharp so I took it at face value... she reported it kept draining itself as soon as it was filled. I pulled the tank and left the hoses connected and filled it to find the leak. No leaks. I turned on the ignition and ran the wipers; nothing coming out but I hear the motor so that's good. After maybe 2 minutes I see water coming out, right at the firewall on the passenger side next to the fender. The hoses are so deeply routed ther's no way to get a visual on them. I crawled underneath but couldn't see or feel anything. I open the passenger door and the floorboard was wet! I pulled the kick plate, and started feeling around, (right where all that good electrical stuff is, like the switch for the air suspension system.) The tubing comes through there and there's a union there that had somehow completely pulled out and was just draining the tank over all the wires and onto the floorboard. put it back together and wrapped it w some elect. tape and we're good to go.

Thank goodness I decided to disassemble before buying any parts!

Now, time to fix the rear wiper motor...

Best of luck,
b.wag