ordered bio diesel kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:35 AM
redbull660
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordered bio diesel kit

I just ordered a 39.00 kit that comes with an additive and the directions on how to make bio diesel (dse kit). I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 12-24-2005, 11:16 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If this is what I think it is, I would strongly suggest that you do not use it in your truck. Is this additive stuff something you mix with used vegetable oils? That's the snakeoil I am referring to...

Old 12-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Clint40
Senior User
I too have the kit, havent done anything with it yet. Do your homework and give it a try. Many dont believe in the system but the Veggi oil thing has been around a long time and if it does what it says good for us who believe.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:20 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
i have seen it and using it in your truck is not a smart idea. that special additive is no more than a few off the shelf compounds. there was even a kid last year who used somehting similar for a science fair project. he won second place and his story was in the paper. i believe the number one ingredient is lye.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:59 PM
redbull660
Senior User
they said its been used in europe for years, and in the kit it says that you can use different additives that go in with the used veggy oil. It tells you all the stuff you need to buy at the hardware store to strain and pump it. Why not use it in my pickup if it works the same as diesel. I am new to this maybe you guys know more. try this www.dieselsecret.com/video1.html

Old 12-24-2005, 02:00 PM
blhfla
Senior User
Some of you may have observed from some of my posts that I am VERY interested in WVO (waste vegetable oil) systems. I'm designing one now for my truck. I also particpate on one of several WVO forums, www.greasecar.com, which of course is dedicated to the topic, including bioD as well. DSE, or "Diesel Secret" has been discussed numerous times there, with some whom praise it and many others whom refer to it as snake oil. You may wish to do a search on that forum if interested. BTW, DSE is NOT made from bioD, it is an alternative process to bioD, both of which start with VO as a stock. Some have suggested that DSE contains ingredients such as paint thinner, but nobody has been able to prove anything explicitly and no long term testing/effects have been conducted/determined. I would be very cautious about putting something as "unknown" as DSE in my engine. Personally, I'd use WVO with a WVO kit rather than bioD or DSE; I don't see the advantages over WVO.

Old 12-24-2005, 05:09 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
Originally Posted by blhfla
Personally, I'd use WVO with a WVO kit rather than bioD or DSE; I don't see the advantages over WVO.
Well when bio d is made you get a bunch of crud left over that has been seperated out.

When you run wvo right into the motor don't you think all that crud (soap, glycerol, ffa's) might be a little bad for the whole fuel system?

Old 12-24-2005, 06:32 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be interested to see what happens if you do try it.

Thread moved to proper forum.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:35 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Clint40
I too have the kit, havent done anything with it yet. Do your homework and give it a try. Many dont believe in the system but the Veggi oil thing has been around a long time and if it does what it says good for us who believe.
And if it doesn't? You just bought yourself a 1-ton full of trouble. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with biodiesel...but the addition of glycerin to your fuel system (which this additive will not remove) will give you some serious problems...$10k kind of problems.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:45 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by vancouverpower
Well when bio d is made you get a bunch of crud left over that has been seperated out.

When you run wvo right into the motor don't you think all that crud (soap, glycerol, ffa's) might be a little bad for the whole fuel system?
There is no crud as you call it in WVO. Soap, glyceral, are what is made when you add lye and Methenal to the oil and heat it. So running WVO in a vehicle that has the proper modification is no more damaging then running diesel.

Erick Panger
http://www.leskwvo.com
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm

Old 12-25-2005, 10:53 AM
blhfla
Senior User
Originally Posted by vancouverpower

No, I don't, because there is no "crud" in a properly designed system. Many vehicles have literally hundreds of thousands of miles logged on SVO systems. There's even an 18 wheeler with nearly 1 million miles logged. It all depends on how you design and install the system and prefilter. The oil must be dewatered and filtered. All bioD processing does is remove the glycerin, which is not corrosive to fuel system components (in fact, water is the biggest problem). If properly heated to reduce viscosity, it will flow freely to the combustion chamber where it is consumed in the combustion process. Where people usually run into problems with SVO systems is when they don't heat the oil properly causing clogging of filters and coking of injectors/combustion chamber components. The purpose of bioD processing is to "thin" the oil (by removing glycerin) thereby reducing the need for HE fuel systems conversions.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by blhfla
No, Many vehicles have literally hundreds of thousands of miles logged on SVO systems. There's even an 18 wheeler with nearly 1 million miles logged.
Can you put names to any of these 'many' folks? I've been looking at SVO/WVO/BioD for almost a year now. Got most of the stuff together to build a BioD convertor in my shop (Thanks to 'Mark' Alovert). Initially, the two-tank WVO setup was far more attractive. Only problem - I could never find anyone with over 100,000 miles on such a set-up. I wanted to see long-term reliability info on the pump , injectors and engine with WVO use. Most of the folks I've talked to point to multiple years of use, yet the highest mileage recorded so far is less than 75,000. That's two years of driving for me. I'm looking 8 - 10 years down the road, 300k+ miles. BioD has some manufacturing drawbacks (glycerine/soap disposal here in east TX), but the increased lubricity, minimal pollutants, and lowered toxicity more than make up for this. I'd really welcome any contact points for folks with over 100K miles of use on SVO/WVO.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of you are confusing Biodiesel, WVO and ths snake oil diesel secret. They are three different fuels all based on veggie oil. WVO, if properly filtered and heated can be a great fuel for a diesel. Bio diesel which I make my own home brew and run in two PSD's is another excellent Veggie based fuel, that goes through a chemical changing "transesfecteration" Yes it uses lye and alcohol and removes all the food, and glycerine from the fuel. ( actually reaction is more indepth but read that another time) Diesel secret????? Good luck with that. Basically how it works is it uses thw WVO idea and takes the other materials added to it to THIN the oil, to a specific gravity less then 0.900. Very snake oil remedy and harmful to the motor etc. Unfortunately people think it is Bio diesel and BD gets the bad wrap for it.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
In fact, does ANYONE out there have over 100,000 miles on a WVO or SVO two-tank conversion? (http://www.greasel.com/, http://www.greasecar.com/) I'd like to hear about your experiences with injection pump/injection nozzle performance and lifespan, lube oil decisions (type/frequency), and any engine-related repair issues that occured. TIA for any info you folks can provide!

Old 12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
blhfla
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave Barbieri
In fact, does ANYONE out there have over 100,000 miles on a WVO or SVO two-tank conversion? (http://www.greasel.com/, http://www.greasecar.com/) I'd like to hear about your experiences with injection pump/injection nozzle performance and lifespan, lube oil decisions (type/frequency), and any engine-related repair issues that occured. TIA for any info you folks can provide!
Neoteric (www.plantdrive.com) has a Canadian customer with 250k kilometers (155k miles) on a 6.9 Ford. Craig Reese, co-owner of Neoteric can verify this for you.

Greasel (www.greasel.com) has a customer with 106k miles on VO (266k total on vehicle, I believe). You can go to their website under testimonials and see the name/location.

I KNOW there are others including an OTR 18 wheeler closing in on 1 million miles on VO. There are many whom have had no problems running on VO; however, EVERYONE will tell you it is still in the experimental stages and if these concerns are significant to you then perhaps it isn't for you. I am certain it will work fine for me. As long as the fuel is hot enough so you don't have coking issues the engine should last longer than the truck. Besides if it was good enough for Rudy, it's good enough for me.

Something else to consider. WVO is basically free fuel. At about $2.50/gallon for diesel I spend almost $6000/year on fuel. If I save $6000/year my entire truck will be paid for in two years. That's if fuel doesn't go up next year (yeah, right). Then it could be paid for even faster. If I only get four years out of my truck/system it will have paid for one truck and saved me enough cash to buy another. If it lasts eight years, let's see now, how many trucks will fit in my driveway.......No brainer for me.

Last edited by blhfla; 12-27-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: ordered bio diesel kit