Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: wpnaes

Il lift law questions ????????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
clearedforlandin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Il lift law questions ????????????

i saw the regulations for the lift laws and i know the truck i am getting ready to buy will be over the limit. f250 with 8 inches and 38.5 boggers . i grew up in chester, il and we never had any troubles with the lifts. after moving out of st. louis to columbia, il, i am worried about running around the belleville area it?
anyone know of any exemptions????? what about if it is a commercial vehicle? i own my own business so i will probably do that anyway for the tax exemption. what is the fine for being over the limit???? wish i could just get a note from the doctor like i used to for tinted windows, haha . any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot for helping the new guy...

Old 12-31-2005, 03:33 PM
NEVRNF
Freshman User
The last owner that i talked to that got ticketed was required to bring the vehicle to court so the judge could inspect it with the office and verify it was brought into code. The problem was he just installed stock tires and got caught a second time with the big tires on by the same cop. I never heard the outcome but i am sure the judge did not like getting one pulled over on him.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
ridgebackphatty
New User
if you have d plates its 30" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper I have 28" with 7 inch lift and with a little air out of the tires I'm at 30"

Old 01-16-2006, 08:44 PM
912504x4
Freshman User
Talking

Most illinois smokeys wont bug you until they get another reason to stop you. I have heard that there is one state boy near columbia that is pulling over lifted vehicles right and left. I also have a lifted Jeep and I have been warned to stay outa columbia unless I want to get fined. But I am way over 30" to the front bumper and the Jeep is considered a 1/4 ton vehicle.

If I were you I would find a set of F350 badges and keep your tires covered by fender flares and you probably wont even get bothered.
If they do ticket you you could try the old reciever hitch drop bumper extension trick. LOL!
If it looks like a bumper and meets the heigth requirement they wouldnt know it was fake until they stop you which most likely will never happen.

Just a few ideas for you,
Eric

Old 02-12-2006, 06:04 PM
fearfactory
Senior User
About 4 yrs ago I had a 92 ford explorer with 6in lift and the state cops would not leave me alone.They pulled me over three times, the third time they pulled me over he said one more chance if i see you on the road again im impounding your vehicle and putting a lock on it, after that I traded it for a Harley.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
E150wreckonoline
New User
funny story, my previous vehicle that i built up was a 2002 tacoma with 35"s and 6.5"s of lift, i called the police station to ask if anyone knew the lifted vehicles height/width/etc. laws, the lady said "hang on ill ask some of the officiers" 2 mins later (youll have to call the sec. of state for that info" at that moment i knew i was safe in bensenville, lol.