Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Anybody ever bought a truck without a title?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 PM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever bought a truck without a title?

While I was getting a different bed for my project truck, my buddy found a little '73 F100 stepside that was still complete. It looks like it will be a great project so he bought it. The only problem is that they didn't have a title for the truck.

Now what does he do? I called a couple of tag agencies but they didn't have any real good answers.

Wondering if anyone else ever had this problem.

Thanks!

Tim

Old 12-05-2005, 10:15 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Well, sorta, but with a boat and motor. The older gentleman I bought it from had lost the title for the motor. I had to fill out paperwork and have the previous owner sign it and then I was able to get a new title made out in my name for the motor. I would guess it would be a similar process for a vehicle? There was a processing fee for the paperwork and it did take about 2 months to finally get the new title. It was processed and mailed from somewhere in OKC.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Yeah, they'll have to file for a lost title. However, if he were to just be using this truck for the parts 'n stuff, he could just write up a bill of sale (I've got a template I can send you). But, there are certain guidelines you have to follow if you just do a BOS, I can get you all of that.

STan

Old 12-06-2005, 09:59 AM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the title was in the sellers name you just need a notorized bill of sale, then the tag agency will print a new title out....i cant remember if the cost is different, but thats what the tinker tag agency told me about a motorcycle i have.....if its not in the sellers name, take the tag and VIN number to a tag agency and have them look it up, he might be able to get the person that IS on the title to sign a bill of sale....

Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
moodybo
Junior User
Some tag agency's can steer you toward people that can do the paperwork for you. There is a process you will have to follow to gain a title. Has it ever been titled in oklahoma before? If not i think all you need is a bill of sale! If it has you need to get a bill of sale from the origanal owner or a lost title form! First thing i do is contact dmv and trace down the last registered owner as well as find out if it is stolen. This is sometimes a dead end because people move! Or dont want to file for lost title. But when you file for a lost title they send a letter to the last original owner saying that it will be sold and if they want it back they have to show up and pay the bid on it. Which most of the time the bid can be set so high that they can not afford it or they dont care. This is how you get your lost tilte. In a round about way, not exactly in that order. Hope i have not confused you!