Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Snow Going

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 02:03 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow Going

Lastnight I had the opportunity to go rescue my daughter's van. She did a real nice 360 followed immediately by a 180 leaving her facing north on the southbound shoulder of the highway. SHook her up pretty good and luckily the local yocals did their job "to protect and serve" and gave her a ride the last 2 miles to home.

So my son-in-law and I went out in my LeSabre ( sorry - my truck isn't real winter friendly). As it turns out a passer-by stop and he and I pushed my S-I-L out with ease.

Of course, by going out in "the storm" I was risking the "I told you so" factor at home and was "lucky this time" and not a hero for getting the van back. LOL

Actually I gotta admit, my wife is pretty smart on not taking risks... but being a guy I had to try lastnight instead of waiting for the free insurance tow today

Everyone else do OK? Hopefully no one lost a DD and gained a parts truck lastnight!

Old 12-01-2005, 10:58 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Yea, that snow sucked, my physics teacher is a First Responder for my area, and he said he had a bunch of calls last night about the snow. However, my family fortunately was alright with the snow, I just had a heck-of a time getting out of my garage and to school in the mustang. It is a lil slick down here in eastern iowa in some parts, but for the most part its okay, thankfully my friends and family got home safe and sound, but idk how those donut marks got into the highschool parking lot last night ,lol,wasn't me.....

Old 12-02-2005, 03:01 AM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a small car sideswipe a pole about 1am last night - no one hurt (too bad), but the car was bent around that pole pretty bad. Slicker than snot last night - didn't help I had no weight in the bed. 6 cinder blocks fixed that today.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
Got home lastnight and found out my son-in-law got stuck on his way to work. We live on gravel and he couldn't make it up a fairly steep hill. It's right after a corner so ya can't get a run at it. Guess that's what he gets for having a S-10 Extreme with Performance tires! This weekend we're going to do a little work on my 85, load the bed up with some logs for weight and tag her on Monday to go back to DD status so he can get to work. I just put some 235's on her and the treads look like they wanna eat snow!

Last edited by 69 and 85; 12-02-2005 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
today a friend called me right after school from burlington. i guess him and a friend left for lunch, in his 2001 ranger, but he only had a school permit. well i guess they lost it after messing around when he swiped a pole sideways goin bout 30. sounds like it totaled the truck. he just didn know how to drive in the snow, bad way to learn.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:18 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I saw a bunch of wrecks around Quad cities area yesterday morning when I came through like 6 of them on or around the 280 mississippi bridge (had to go that way because the I 80 bridge was closed due to accidents). what kills me is here there are multiple accidents several of them involving semi's that had 4wheelers slidinginto them, and we are going through the junkyard and several idiots passing a bunch of big trucks going 70+ (the cars passing not the trucks we were only going around 50) gee wonder why there were so many accidents.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chrono4
today a friend called me right after school from burlington. i guess him and a friend left for lunch, in his 2001 ranger, but he only had a school permit. well i guess they lost it after messing around when he swiped a pole sideways goin bout 30. sounds like it totaled the truck. he just didn know how to drive in the snow, bad way to learn.
The 1st snow every year, I go find an unplowed parking lot and take a few minutes to see how my truck is going to handle. Get my snow legs, so to speak. Better to know that its gonna pull to the right when I slide in a empty lot rather than a busy street! And besides, its a good excuse to spin a few donuts...

Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Last week with the first snow, even the radio announcer was commenting on people just not figuring out how to drive on the snow, even though we go through this every year, it's just part of the life...

Old 12-07-2005, 12:24 PM
michaelbrainardatwor
More Turbo
snow is ok...COLD SUCKS

I dont' mind the snow so much...but this sub zero crap has gotta stop!

Old 12-07-2005, 05:40 PM
fordsrgrt
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
monday morning on my way thru Cedar Rapids there were about 7 or 8 wrecks in a short stretch about 3 or so miles coming south into town on 380

Old 12-08-2005, 07:30 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
Another bad driving day out there. My son-in-law was leaving the job site yesterday going real slow and slide into a car... probably $1000 in damage, maybe more and he was going just a couple miles an hour. It was minor, but cracked his bumper cover and another fiberglass piece. The car got a couple bumper cover scrathes. So lastnight we fire up the 85 and he's going to be driving it now. My wife just called and he got 2 miles and broke down. I can hardly believe it... it's a beater, but NEVER let me down. Even when the clutch went out it limped home 25 miles before it gave up totally.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Sorry about all of the bad luck you are having this winter Kelly. Hope it gets better going forward. If it is where I think I remember that curve and no there wouldn't be any way to carry much speed threw it.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
LOL - I'm alright, the son-in-law is a little busy with "life's little lessons".

You're right , that curve is a tough one to get any speed without sliding off! My wife called earlier and said the truck ended up making it home without being towed. It's rusty, but trusty. I'm sure it won't take much to fix her up.

Everybody be safe out there!

Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
This most recent snow we had, the 7-8 of December proved to be very fun, and very accident clad around here, 5 kids in my school went in the ditch on the way to school on the 8th, and 3 teachers, heard there was a 14 car pile-up by Anamosa. Good point of the snow, the donuts in my parking lot at work from the 94 stang, and sledding & snowball fights while at work. Who says ya can't have a lil fun at work too? Luckily I only live a few blocks from school, so my drive isn't too bad, and if I don't want to drive I can call a friend that goes right by or just walk(never happens, too cold and I am not built for cold weather if ya know what I mean). Hope everyone here had good luck this past week with the snow and didn't lose a member of the family(car/truck or person,lol)

Old 12-09-2005, 12:24 AM
fordsrgrt
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
went over to load by South Bend this afternoon caught the storm coming back from there .going thru Chicago wasnt too bad ,the worst was the nearly 3 hour drive from chicago to the west side of Peoria, bumper to bumper till about 10 miles west of peoria. sheesh

Quick Reply: Snow Going