2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Remove Stereo w/6 CD Changer in '05 F-150

Old 11-25-2005, 11:51 AM
jaysfla
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Remove Stereo w/6 CD Changer in '05 F-150

Does anyone know how to remove the stereo on a 2005 F-150. I read the post on the F-250 & 350, but this doesn't look like my dash at all. Anyone have pictures or instructions? I appreciate it...

Old 11-25-2005, 02:59 PM
spiggy769
Senior User
Its really simple bro...Just gently pry the trim out starting from the top and working your way down (Watch out for the Air Bag light You will have to unplug this) The trim is just held in place by a few clips that release easily when pulled on. I beleive the bolrts holding in the Radio are 6mm but I can be mistaken (its been awhile) Either way They are metric. Hopes this helps.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:40 PM
week0019
Junior User
I dont have the changer but I think the dash is the same. Just like spiggy said, it's only held on by clips (the dash part). Mine seemed a little stuborn but I managed to get it off prying w/ a butter knife. Something non-metal would probably be better but that's the only thing skinny enough that I had. I thought for sure there was something more holding behind the cigarette lighter but it was only clips. Just curious, why are you removing the changer?

Old 11-25-2005, 06:24 PM
opie71
Junior User
Dont missplace the trim clips or let them fall down.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:56 AM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
Yes I do.

1) Open the cup holder
2) Gently pry both the left and right lower edges of the bezel that cover the radio and environmental controls. Note: there are six metal clips on the bezel. Two on the bottom, two along the sides of the radio and two at the top of the bezel.
3) Using a small flat bladed screw driver unclip the airbag light.
4) Allow the bezel to hang from the wires to the environmental controls.
5) Remove the four black screws holding the radio in.
6) Using that small flat-bladed screw driver remove the large electrical connector(s) on the back of the radio and pull the antenna cable with your hand.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:58 AM
snydersc
Freshman User
One thing that I noticed that makes it easier is to remove the ashtray first. With short fat fingers it was easier to pull out the bezel with the tray removed.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:45 AM
jaysfla
New User
Smile Thanks to all...

Thanks to everyone who replied. I was able to install my PIE auxilliary input adapter with no troubles over the weekend. XM radio sounds awesome and I also Y-ed off for a mini stereo plug input for an MP3 player. Again, thanks for all your help. Happy Holidays!

Old 11-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Tower Jack
Senior User
That XM roady is the reason I would like to get at the back of MY audiophile
Were you able to connect you XM radio direct to the truck radio and use the AUX button on front to use it? please describe the way you hooked it up and whats the PIE adapter? I've got one running on the FM modulator now and would like to connect direct to get a better sound.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:02 AM
jaysfla
New User
Thumbs up PIE Adapter

Tower Jack,
This link will take you to the PIE adapter. As far as I know, they're (PIE - Precision Integrated Electronics) the only ones who make an adapter that plugs directly into the back of the Ford factory radio. It plugs into the jack that's used for the rear seat entertainment system and allows you to use the AUX button as the auxilliary audio input. The adapter is $89.95 and here's the link to get to it: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/log...efrd04aux.html

Installation was a breeze after getting the bezel off. The adapter also has a line level adjustment on it. Works great!
Hope this helps...
Take care.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:51 AM
drhuntr
Freshman User
XM Aux adapter

I found an adapter at Circuit City for $59.95. I used it in my F250 that does not have an aux button and also noted it has the cables for using on the aux at the back of the radios with the aux button as well. Really makes the sound a lot better for my XS hook up. I can move the XM from my F250 to wife's F150 by just moving the "aux adapter" and the XM Roady. Of course, I had to buy an additional antenna for her truck.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Tanner06
New User
XM Radio

You guys have sparked my interest in adding an XM Radio to my 2005 SuperCrew. I have the single disc player with an Aux button on it. If I wanted to get XM, which one do I need to buy, the XM Commander with antenna and all or just something as simple as the Delphi Roady 2? I know I have to buy the PIE adapter. I am not sure how much the radio actually controls once the Aux button has been pushed, thanks for the help...

Old 11-29-2005, 12:04 PM
jaysfla
New User
XM in Your 2005 SC

Any XM or Sirrius Radio that has an audio output jack will work. I have the Roady which has a mini stero plug output for the audio. When you push the AUX button, all you're really doing is switching the audio path to that rear input through the PIE adapter. You have full control over the volume through your regular radio controls either on the dash or steering wheel. You change stations at the XM radio, of course... I used the panel where the cigarette lighter was to mount my XM and took the cig power behind the panel to connect power for the XM radio so that it's out of sight. I'll post pictures if you like a little later...
Take care.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Tower Jack
Senior User
Thanks Jay I've got one on order & that RCA to 3.5 cable adapter. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your roady mounted in place of the ashtray thingy. It sounds like a great idea.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:14 PM
fordfanatic05
Junior User
Hey all.
Just one question out the in dash radio's. I have heard these are very easy to remove do they have any anti-theft device in them prevent thefs from smashing my window and ripping it right on out and i dont mean like after-market rather already installed from the factory. Any information on this would be great!! thnx..

Old 11-29-2005, 06:19 PM
snydersc
Freshman User
Yeah it's as simple as pulling the trim and removing 4 screws, unplug the connectors and its gone. If you really wanted to you could search web for tamper proof screws and replace them. It gives that one element that the radio might still be there, but I would bet bezel would be smashed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Remove Stereo w/6 CD Changer in '05 F-150