Notices

Rear Collision Avoidance System

Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 PM
ajstephan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Collision Avoidance System

I recently heard that they sell aftermarket rear collision avoidance systems for a couple of hundred dollars now. Since I have a young granddaughter and live near a school, I'm looking to get one. I heard that Audiovox sells one that fits in a receiver (http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...4768&langId=-1 ) but I don't know much about it or what the real cost is. There's results from a google search on price, comparisons, etc.

Has anyone else looked into these?

Old 11-19-2005, 12:04 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get it as an option in the wife's 05 Escape Limited, but have been thinking of getting the kit and adding it. I haven't looked into which brand to get, but I have seen a few threads on FTE where people have added them. You might try a search for 'back up sensors' and see what comes up. I do know a few that have added them and they have said they are not hard to install.

Might be a good time to research them myself...

Old 05-19-2008, 06:28 PM
jfpaul
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Market Product - Reverse Sensing

I know it has been a while since your post, but try Crimestopper, Backstopper CA 5012. For about $60, it is the best value for the price. Easily installed, wireless from the bed to the cab and extremely accurate. Gives audible, graphic and distance measures to object, within inches. If on the F150, you have to drill four holes, but the bit is included. Two go into the metal bumper, two into the plastic next to the license plate. Go to a dealer, find a truck with OEM reverse sensing, measure and use that for your template. Make sure to paint the holes in the metal with primer or touch up paint before installing the sensors. This will help resist rust. There is plenty of room and openings to snake/run the wires in the rear and seat them inside one of your rear lamp housings. You can wire the readout in the cab into your fuse box. I have the Lariat and put the read out right infront of the floor mounted shift. Overall, the install took about 1.5 hours. I installed mine in January 2008 and have had no problems. Has saved my "butt" several times since it is very difficult to see what is behind you. Good luck ajstephan.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
For about $90 you can get a rearview camera from pep-boys (don't remember the brand, and I'm sure you can find it other places) The camera fits over the licencse plate frame, tap into power and ground and it send a wireless signal to a small color LCD you can mount anywhere in the cab. You can hard wire the screen or just plug into the cig lighter. I think you can wire it into the backup lights so it turns on automaticly when in reverse. I got one for my Dad's E350 cargo truck (now that's a blind spot!) and the wireless signal is right on the limit, so it gets a little snow sometimes, but it should work perfect in a regular size vehicle.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 AM
jfpaul
New User
Had one of these from Costco's and yes snow, dirt, darkness all affect it. Took it back after 3 months and purchased the Backstopper system. Much more effective.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Echomaster also makes a good sonar system, it resembles the OE system in the superduties. The sensors are a little involved to install, you have to drill a hole through the bumper and any reinforcement, then figure the angle shims you need. The rest of that kit is easy, mount the brain and speaker. The speaker will have a switch to turn it on and off.

It's expensive, but the nicest finished product. I once tried a kit from the hoffman group called Stellar. The sensors had a flange on them with screw holes that you see when it's bolted on the bumper. I wasn't impressed with it.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,291 Posts
I've used all three, although in limited quantaties:

--GOAL (get out and look). Works well, pita.

--Bubble mirror. Works OK, sometimes requires GOAL. L.L.S.

--Radar/beeper. Works OK, requires GOAL more often than BM due to false readings, but once you get used to it, acceptable.

--Camera. Almost perfect. You'll get out and brush off the lens far less often than you will get out to check using the other systems.

jmo/ymmv