Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I'M BACK...and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
michaelbrainardatwor
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'M BACK...and need help!

Hey guys..been a while...that is sortta a good thing, since I usually only come here when things break.

My 77 F250 - 460 - 750 Holley

Fuel delivery issues....Problem is intermitant and not necessilary repeatable. Runs fine then all of a sudden starves for fuel. Won't quit running but falls flat on it's face. If at highway speeds when this happens, if I slow down and let the fuel system catch up, it will run fine....then eventually quit acting up and run like a raped ape again. I know it is fuel starvation because I installed a clear fuel filter near the carb when I did the carb swap. The fuel filter is typically nearly empty of fuel ( and full of air ). Not so long ago, I replaced the fuel pump ( early this spring )...the shortly thereafter the carb. When I replaced the carb I got rid of the hard tube from the pump to the carb and replaced it with rubber fuel line, simply because the factory tube wouldn't properly align with the dual feed connection on the new Holley.

My question: if the fuel system is working properly, shouldn't the fuel filter, being mounted near the carb, be full ( or nearly full ) of fuel? My next step is to pull ALL of the fuel line from the carb to the tank and replace...maybe there is a blockage somewhere. FYI...the filter is CLEAN. No junk or particles in it all.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:34 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
might be degraded fuel line, if it has the original, quite a likely possibility. BTW, I'll have to see if I have a fuel tank for you. 2wd, I hope?

Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had clear fuel filters on my '78/400 and my '70/390. The 78 always ran a little over half full, the 70 was usually around 3/4 full.

Any idea if there is crud/rust in the tank, maybe sloshing around and occasionally blocking the outlet where the fuel line connects? I would think if that were the case you would see something in the filter, but stranger things can happen.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
might wanna check that fuel pump for problems and make sure it can keep up with the carb. New doesn't always mean good.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 AM
michaelbrainardatwor
More Turbo
Originally Posted by fellro86
might be degraded fuel line, if it has the original, quite a likely possibility. BTW, I'll have to see if I have a fuel tank for you. 2wd, I hope?
YES 2WD! And all of the electrical valves and solonoids too if you have them! Not sure if mine work! That 12 gallon fuel tank doesn't last long!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:01 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Well, so far I have struck out, got one more to check out, otherwise, I know where there are some others, but they are at a yard. No electrics on any that I have, other than the sender, tank switch was manually controlled. Got plenty of front tanks, just not much for rear. Too bad a van tank wouldn't work, much more help there... although I imagine the electric switch from a van should work.... do have that.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:32 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Ok, I do have a tank, but not absolutely certain how good it is, looks ok. The van I have with dual tanks, has the switch and all, and the tank will fit between the rails, but the difference is the front to back measurement as well as depth, but with some creative engineering and enough parts it could be made to work, so that is something to consider if you can find one close to you.The dual tank switch also went under the dash on it, factory issue. The one I have is a 79.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM
michaelbrainardatwor
More Turbo
I do have the switch on the dash....and the electrical is under the truck but some yahoo, after smashing the tank, did some fancy engineering of his own when replumbing and rewiring.....so at this point I don't even know what i have. YE HA!

Drove the truck 500 miles this weekend ( OUCH $$$ ) only acted up once and that was near the top of a very long and steep hill ( about 4 miles @ 60 up one hell of a steep grade ) along the mississippi. Later that day, while fueling up ( again and again ) I popped the hood to check the oil and the damn fuel filter was full! That is a first.