L6-226 Super Hurricane - Willys Flathead In-Line Six

Old 11-07-2005, 01:12 PM
WDK2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L6-226 Super Hurricane - ****** Flathead In-Line Six

I've seen some very good posts regarding super charger installations so I that that I would take a chance asking for some help regarding a non-Ford application. I own a 1959 ****** Utility Wagon with the original L6-226 Super Hurricane(flat head in-line six).

In 1954 Kaiser installed McCoullogh super chargers (VS57 - also used on early T-Birds so I do have a Ford tie-in after all) on their Manhattans. Since the Manhattan used the same engine as my ******, I've decided to install one on my engine. Paxton, who took over the McCoullogh name, still services the blowers and even offers an upgraded impellor to delivier boost levels beyond the origianal 4-5 psi.

I would like to have some advice on how to rebuild the engine in a way that not only maximizes SC benifits but also ensures reliability and longevity. I feel that I have fairly well-defined engine performance goals, but before getting into the details I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in discussing this non-Ford application.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:32 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These guys will have the information you need, good bunch.
http://www.flatheaders.com/

Old 11-08-2005, 08:04 AM
WDK2
New User
Thanks - I'll check it out.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 AM
WDK2
New User
I just contacted a company called Uncommon Engineering regarding the rebuild of my flathead. They are definately the place to go to with regard to what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks again.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
I have a 59 ****** utility wagon with the same flathead engine. Mine is a 4x4 and will go places you won't walk. A tremendous vehicle for the off roading family. Mine does not have a SC as the info I got about it said that engine life is reduced dramatically. After rebuilding several of these engines in various other Jeeps, I tend to agree. While a great engine, it is prone to blowby and burning oil. If ya don't mind adding a little oil occasionally, it is a dandy low HP engine. My Wiilys has the 5.88 gears with 32" tires and a 2" lift via having the spring packs rearched and one extra leaf added. Another weak link in this vehicle is the steering box. Be gentle with the thing as parts are next to impossible to find. Otherwise, I have a rust free ****** that needs a paint job but runs great. And it has a name- *****- ain't that original? Best of luck with yours.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Silent Bob
New User
Thumbs up

Check out the WillysTech mailing list, and the archives at willystech.com, lots of good info including the occasional supercharger discussion. If you're a little creative, most parts are not that hard to find.

-Bob
51 ****** P/U

Mandatory Ford Content: The last time I brought home a ******, the transmission in my f150 barfed. I think it might have been jealous...