Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

Ordering parts from Dennis Carpenter

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 AM
freejay
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering parts from Dennis Carpenter

I went through the catalog and have a list totaling around $800 US for my crewcab. Weatherstripping, misc. stuff. Should I order directly from DC or go through somebody here in Canada? I haven't ever dealt with duties and the shipping from the states.

Thanks
Jay

Old 10-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That's $1000.00 cdn

When I knew I was going to the FTE National Meet,I ordered stuff to be sent to a Kansas Member who wasa gracious enough to allow me to do this.
Plus, a another member of the Kansas chapter was even more gracious and picked and paid for some upholstery for my Mustang.
I received both parcels and paid for the one.

I kept both receipts for my trip home to declare then at customs at the Calgary Airport.
I didn't have to pay a cent on my $480.00 cdn worth of purchases.

My point is, once you have stuff sent as opposed to bringing it across they nail you big time with all the special fess.

USPS is the best...... with UPS /Purolator or FedEx having the possibilty of being expensive.

A good rule of thumb when ordering and having merchandise sent is to double the US cost.
There shouldn't be any duty charged on their merchandise if they made it in the US.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:37 PM
dust3
Senior User
The Mustang Shop in Calgary can get Dennis Carpenter stuff, they order from his son Daniel Carpenter (Mustang Stuff) all the time, and occasionally have truck stuff added to the order.

www.themustangshop.ca

Old 10-29-2005, 11:51 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Well if you can ever make it to calgary, and have the items shipped to sweetgrass mt i would gladly pick them up and bring them to calgary if you would be up for it. As this is what i do, have items shipped (ups) to the ups warehouse in sweet grass mt (addy is 309 2nd st, 59484) then i picked them up and bring them accross personally.

If you would like to do this let me know as i travel from calgary to my farm here on the border on the weekends to help with the farm.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:22 PM
freejay
More Turbo
Dennis-So you're saying that if I or somebody I know carries the stuff across the border I probably will only have to pay the exchange?

Hey Cody that sounds sweet. I'm in Calgary usually a few times a month so maybe I will work something out with you on that.

Last edited by freejay; 10-30-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Mil1ion
New User
You would save the border processing fee, the complete shipping charges.
Things in the states sent to other states is far cheaper than US to international (Canada included)

Cody could virtually unpack it and bring it across for you as he said he would.
He goes across numerous times a week so they know him personally.

That's all I can say.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Actually if you are the one thats bringing the parts across personally you normally only "have to" pay duty (key words, have to ). Some items there will be extra taxes and junk but parts is nothing to worry about, and as long as its bring a few items across at a time, then no duty needs to be paid. (theres a limit to how much per day you can bring, and also if you don't have a reciept with you they can't say you bought it down there).

Curious, what all will you be ordering?

Old 10-31-2005, 10:46 PM
freejay
More Turbo
Windshield seal, rear window seal, one set door seals, 2 window anti rattler kits, cab mount rubbers, rad support rubbers, some other misc stuff

Old 10-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Mil1ion
New User
The thought duty on US made items was done with due to the NAFTA agreement ?

Old 11-01-2005, 07:12 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Not that i know of dennis, but i haven't actually been in there to pay duty on items (one of my benefits from knowing everyone in there) in a while so i honestly couldn't tell you for sure.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Here is the best method. Order from George Moir in Edmonton. He charges in Canadian what DC charges you in US funds, and that's here in Canada and delivered to Edmonton. You may have to pay to bus it from Edmonton to Sundre.

I get parts all the time the same way Cody does, I drive the 60 miles and pick them up at the UPS warehouse in Sweetgrass. Because I am not personal friends with anyone at the border (the Canadian side guys are kind of jerks, actually) I have to pay GST on whatever I bring across and they DANG WELL WANT TO SEE YOUR RECEIPT. They searched me and my truck when I swapped a tailgate with a guy in Washington and couldn't tell them the value of a no-value swap. The US customs people are waaaaaay nicer, the Canadian border people are like the old post office employees, surly and pretty much useless. Dont hold your mouth wrong.

So I have done it that way and also by ordering thru DT mustang in Warner. The best way by far is George Moir. Look him up on the internet, or here http://www3.telus.net/public/bboogaar/parts.htm

RF

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 11-01-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:54 PM
freejay
More Turbo
So you're saying if I order through George he will charge me the same in Canadian $$ plus GST?? How can he do that? Wouldn't he be losing money on the exchange? Or is he getting some volume discount? I already know the shipping to Sundre from Edmonton would be less than $60. Hmmm, I knew all you guys would give me some guidance.

Thanks
Jay

Old 11-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Mil1ion
New User
I assume he meant the CDN equivalent $$$$

Perhaps the freight will be less since it could be in a reg order ?

Old 11-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Generally, if an item is $49 US in the Carpenter catalogue, George will charge you $49 Canadian. Phone him and find out, although your results will be better by faxing him the correct DC part numbers. I imagine that yes, part of it is volume and being a Canadian dealer, but part of it is that George is not a greedy man. (We are not related, BTW LOL)

Tried by at least 3 people I know personally, with good results. But fax George for yourself and find out.

One more story about Sweetgrass/Coutts customs and then I am out for the evening. Last month my buddy and I made a flying trip to Denver to pick up a '63 Unibody that he bought on eBay. When we got to the border, we had to check in on the US side, at 9:00 pm at night, have them review the paperwork, actually go outside and inspect the truck, and approve the export of the vehicle from the US.

The process on the US side, where there were 4 visible employees working, took a total of 15 minutes including the physical vehicle inspection in the dark. The happy, friendly US Homeland Security people then bade us a fine good evening, and complemented my friend on his choice in vehicles.

Then, we had to stop in on the Canadian side and pay the GST. The (at least) 10 employees working there IGNORED US COMPLETELY for at 15-20 minutes, even though we were the ONLY CUSTOMERS.

Finally, after our long wait under so many watchful, yet useless eyes,( I was beginning to think they were paintings out of a cheap horror movie where only the eyes move) a guy sauntered casually out of the back, to grudgingly process our already approved paperwork, and charged my friend the GST on his vehicle.
Performed with an attitude like an 11 year old girl who was asked to leave her birthday party to do it.
What a fine bunch of exemplary Government employees they are.

RF

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 11-02-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 AM
freejay
More Turbo
Thanks RF I'll do that

Quick Reply: Ordering parts from Dennis Carpenter