New Methaloxide Mixer

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:11 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking New Methaloxide Mixer

Just built my new methaloxide mixer! Now I can mix 25 gal at a time SAFELY. I used a 30 gal HDPE barrel mounted "upside-down" on a raised metal stand. One of the bungs has a short pipe, elbo, and quarter turn valve mounted in it to release the mix directly into my mixing barrels. The top has a 1/4 hp SEALED elect motor with a extended shaft and paint mixing head mounted at the rear. In front of the motor is a hinged lid for pouring in the "micro-bead" lye. A 5 gal HDPE bucket is connected by PVC pipe to the top of the barrel. Inside the bucket is a fine mesh screen on the bottom where the pipe from the mixing barrel comes in. Then I filled the bucket with activated charcoal and put another layer of screen. A 120v blower is hooked to a pipe that fit's in the top of the bucket. This blower pulls air in the "hatch", through the mixing barrel, into the charcoal cannister and exit's OUTSIDE. NO more dangerious fumes!! NO more explosion hazard!! The barrel is marked in 5 gal incriments so I can watch the level while drawing off the "mix" into my mixing barrels. It works GREAT!! Will post pictures when I get my new camera[ last one fell out of the pickup!]. FABMANDELUX

Old 10-23-2005, 10:18 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sweet. PICS PICS PICS.

Diesel Rod

Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work. 2nd vote for photos!

I am researching building a unit so I am very interested!

Old 10-27-2005, 09:20 AM
digracer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awesome!

I am interested in what was involved in building and running your still to reclaim part of your methanol also. I have the money to build the processor now, I just have to gather the parts. If this works out well, I plan on running all diesel vehicles and even converting my house to run on a diesel generator! Less money in the man's pocket means more money in mine!

Keep up the good work Fab! ;D

Old 10-27-2005, 10:16 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Methanol Still

Originally Posted by digracer
That's awesome!

I am interested in what was involved in building and running your still to reclaim part of your methanol also. I have the money to build the processor now, I just have to gather the parts. If this works out well, I plan on running all diesel vehicles and even converting my house to run on a diesel generator! Less money in the man's pocket means more money in mine!

Keep up the good work Fab! ;D
Morning D ; Are you going to build an appleseed processer, or a open design like mine? As to my "still", it to is really simple. I found a 25gal Long stainless tank in my "bone-yard", part of an old seed drill. Mounted it at about a 60 deg angle on a rolling cart [ I like to build on roll-around carts so I can move thing's around ] just high enough to put a 5 gal bucket under the 1/2" drain valve on the bottom. Just above the valve on the end of the tank I welded a 1 1/4" x 1" bushing to hold a 4,500 watt water tank heater eliment, which is controled by a thermostat with a 260 deg "snap-switch" [for safety] At the top of the tank is a 4" "cap" that I can remove to load the glycerol into. At the very top is a 1/4" copper line that runs down into a "condenser" [ just 10' of 1/4" copper tubeing wound into a 2" coil. I used a piece of 3" irrigation pipe 18" long AROUND the copper tube, and welded cap's on each end where the COLD water goes in at the top ,and out at the bottom. I pour 16 gal of glycerol into the tank, seal the cap, and turn it on [it run's on 120v]. In aprox 1.5hr clean methanol start's running out the condenser into CLEAN plastic jugs. When i"ve collected about 4 gal or so I shut down and drain off the glycerin and start over! The whole thing is insulated with fiberglass insulation. I DO have pictures and will Post them. FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:26 PM
digracer
Freshman User
That's great! I want to build a processor like you have, but I am still not 100% sure of what I need and how to set it up properly. I am more of a hands on learner. I like to see how the process actually works. I will study the pics you already have of your setup and see if I can visualize the running process.

As far as the methanol still, it sounds pretty staight forward. Is there a reason for using stainless, or can a person use a modified water heater? Also, if left running longer, would more methanol be collected? Also, I notice you like to use a 60 degree angle. I think you also mounted part of your processor at that angle. Is it just to increase surface area in this case, or is there another reason?

Last question, (for now). I am still trying to figure out what to do with all the glycerin I will produce. I can only use so much soap and degreaser. I was thinking of building a type of stove to burn it. I don't need it for heat, but I don't want to just dump it on the ground either. Will the glycerin even burn?

I think I'll start a thread asking what others do with their byproduct.

Thanks again for all the info Fabman!

Old 11-07-2005, 10:07 PM
nckmsn
New User
throw glycerine in the garbage can

the environmental health dept. here in utah told me to put it in the garbage as long as it was solid

Old 11-08-2005, 01:40 PM
skibender
Senior User
Sure sounds like this is the way to go. That processor sounds like it will work very well.