Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Difference between 'van' and 'wagon'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 05:28 PM
SearchingBearCub
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between 'van' and 'wagon'?

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see if the '87 Star I was considering purchasing would get better or worse mileage compared to my expired '93.

Upon visiting www.fueleconomy.gov, I was confronted by two choices, both slightly different.

1987 Ford Aerostar Van - 18/24 (21 Comb.)
1987 Ford Aerostar Wagon - 17/22 (19 Comb.)

I don't see any obvious differences, so I put it to the knowledgeable people here - Which is which?

Also, a similar conundrum on www.kbb.com - When I went to look up the value of the van, I got 3 choices after picking "1987 Ford Aerostar - Private Party Value":

Cargo Minivan
Window Minivan
Minivan

Again, which is which?

Old 10-15-2005, 06:14 PM
xuzme720
Elder User
as far as I know, there was no aero wagon. it might be one of those automated responses that sometimes make no sense. just a guess....

as far as the cargo, window and just plain minivan....
cargo has the solid sides, no windows.
window is just that. an aero with the side windows in the cargo area.
plain minivan....a guess here....maybe just another window aero. it might be a different rear door style, e.g. doors instead of a liftgate maybe. like I said a guess. maybe if you have the vin#, we can give more info.

Last edited by xuzme720; 10-15-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:34 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a clue on this one, but I sure would like to know.

I am thinking that the millage dif between the two is for the Cargo one (first one listed, no rear seats or interior trim. Less weight = more mpg) where the second (wagon) has the trim and two more rows of seats. And man these seats are REALLY HEAVY, but comfortable.

Old 10-16-2005, 12:22 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford always has had high quality seats. Loved the seats in a '78 Ford LTD, plush velour soft comfortable yet good bottom and back support for long hours behind the wheel. the Ford PU's I've had came from the factory with seats that one could take at logging road with speed and not bounce thru the roof or get spine compression. even the infamous death trap door falling off Pintos had great seats.
2 hours in one of the wife's Honda's and I'm ready for a chiropractor and hemmoroid surgeon.

by the way, the Pinto is where our auto trannys originated, the old French designed and built C3 + an overdrive and torque converter lockup, wha-la an A4LD. 70 hp rated tranny turned into something that had to handle twice the hp and 50% more weight.

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 10-16-2005 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:49 AM
SearchingBearCub
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 96_4wdr
Ford always has had high quality seats.
Back in late 2002, I bought a '96 Windstar from a BHPH. Had the most comfortable seats EVER! Who needs power adjustable seats - Just give me those seats again! Must've been 4-6 inches of foam for the butt, and almost as much for the back, plus great support.

Then again, the passenger seat in my '93 Aero was almost as comfy. The driver's seat, other than having wear on that same old entry/exit spot, must have had a broken spring, since I always felt like I was leaning to the left when I was driving it. Slightly annoying on long drives, lol.

As I understand it, pre-'92 Aerostars had the short back front seats. Are they just as comfy as the later Aerostar's seats? If not, is there a way that I can swap the front seats out of a '92 or newer Aero into this '87 I am considering?

Thanks...

Old 10-16-2005, 04:06 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Ford always has had high quality seats. Loved the seats in a '78 Ford LTD, plush velour soft comfortable yet good bottom and back support for long hours behind the wheel. the Ford PU's I've had came from the factory with seats that one could take at logging road with speed and not bounce thru the roof or get spine compression. even the infamous death trap door falling off Pintos had great seats.
I like the seats that came in my 87 Mustang; pretty comfortable, it not a little wide (need more side support) for spirited corner carving.

My 90 Aero has "captain's" chairs in front (arm rests on the inside). For some reason, they just don't seem to support me very well. If I'm driving in it for about an hour or so, I will usually slide down to the point where half my back ends up on the lower cushion. WHen I catch myself, I would have to struggle to scoot back up to my original, upright position. The lower cushion has a much flatter angle than that of my Mustang, which angles up a little, and has an adjustable leg support. I guess the Mustang's seat is really like a bucket, where once my butt is planted into the lowest part, it's hard for it to slide up, even with the weight of my torso pushing down on it. Whereas the Aero's seat is more flat, and unless I'm literally glued to it, I will be sliding down. But I am impressed that the fabric has stayed intact through all these years.

by the way, the Pinto is where our auto trannys originated, the old French designed and built C3 + an overdrive and torque converter lockup, wha-la an A4LD. 70 hp rated tranny turned into something that had to handle twice the hp and 50% more weight.
As long as you don't overload it, it should work. But I've heard too many stories, some from this forum, of the A4LD getting damaged if you sneezed at the wrong time.