Nova Scotia Join Chapter, Leader:

2.3l 4d55 diesel engine parts - any in the Atlantic?

Old 10-14-2005, 06:40 PM
ovcshop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2.3l 4d55 diesel engine parts - any in the Atlantic?

Anyone here know where to get rings & inserts or any parts for a 2.3l mitsubishi 4d55 turbo diesel?? Our 1986 4x4 ranger has blow by - up the dip stick and out into the air breather!!
Saint John N.B.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:26 AM
pnose
Elder User
Not sure on the mitsu setup,does it have a CDR(crankcase depression regulator),if it does and its plugged up it will cause your symptoms.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:47 PM
ovcshop
New User
Not Sure pnose. Is this similar to a pcv valve? The manual we have does not show a CDR. Where might it be located, top or bottom of the engine? We're not familiar with diesels at all (I am a gas mech!) - but I sure like this little 4X4. Thanks for the response. I spent 2 1/2 years in the mid 70's in your Province - Great place and Great People.
Frank

Old 10-30-2005, 01:45 PM
pnose
Elder User
On my truck(1992,7.3)its located on the rear of the intake manifold and runs through a rubber grommet into the valley pan.Its about the size of a tuna can.As i stated i dont know how the mitsu is set up,however if your manual shows a pcv it could very well be what they are calling a cdr.There should be some device to control the base pressure.Hope this helps.I will check with some people and post what i find.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:01 PM
ovcshop
New User
Thank You Sir. The manual says gas engines use a pcv vale and diesel's have a baffle in the valve cover!! Just a note - we just finished adjusting the valves and what a difference in power - time will tell wether or not the blow by will dissappear!! The manual stated that the valves should be adjusted every 15,000 miles. Didn't realize diesels needed frequent valve adj. - makes sense though. Will check for a tuna can contraption as well - lots of stuff on a diesel thats not on a gas!!!
Thanks for your help.
Frank

Old 10-31-2005, 07:48 AM
pnose
Elder User
So i gather when you removed the valve cover you cleaned out that baffle?Hope that solves your problem.Diesels do have more blowby then a gasser,if its not blowing oil out with the dip stick in place i wouldnt worry too much about it.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:13 AM
ovcshop
New User
We took the hose that was going into the air filter out of the air filter and put it into a can and left it hanging to eliminate any oil being blown into the breather and sucked backed into the turbo, this eliminated the blue smoke out the exhaust. didn't see any baffle in the cover! Still learning, but it works alot better.
Thanks
Frank

Old 11-01-2005, 06:22 AM
ovcshop
New User
pnose - This Ranger was sitting for 3 to 4 years before we started playing with it. It only has 215,ooo klms on it. We've changed the oil and filter, adj. valves, changed fuel filters and water seperator, flushed rad, new belts, adj. timming and new belt and more repairs to the truck. Is there anything else we could do for the engine?

Old 11-01-2005, 01:01 PM
pnose
Elder User
You should always run a fuel additive,available at ctc,wallmart,etc.It will provide lubrication for the fuel system components as todays diesel lacks the sulpher needed for lubrication of these parts.It will also aid in preventing the fuel from gelling in extreme cold.I add about 1/2 cup every fill,all year round.The hose you removed from the breather,where does the other end go?

Old 11-01-2005, 06:33 PM
ovcshop
New User
The Hose we unplugged from the breather and put in a can comes out of the top of the valve cover, passenger side 3/4 way back. There's a round 21/2" diameter canister affair on top of the intake manifold - have no idea what that is?

Old 11-01-2005, 06:35 PM
ovcshop
New User
Oh and thanks for the tip on the additive.
Frank

Old 11-01-2005, 07:38 PM
pnose
Elder User
That canister COULD be the cdr,might be worth a try to remove it and clean it out with gas and use low air pressure to dry it out.If it is a cdr valve there should be a rubber diaphram in it,be carefull not to use high pressure air as it may tear it up.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:08 AM
ovcshop
New User
Will check it, but it is on the intake manifold? I think we didn't tighten up the Harmonic balancer enough when we adjusted the timeing - it came loose and is now no good!! Not too smart! Now we are haveing a hard time finding another.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:14 PM
pnose
Elder User
Originally Posted by ovcshop
Will check it, but it is on the intake manifold? I think we didn't tighten up the Harmonic balancer enough when we adjusted the timeing - it came loose and is now no good!! Not too smart! Now we are haveing a hard time finding another.
A cdr valve would go into the intake to re-burn the fumes.Good luck finding a HB.I dont recall ever seeing a diesel ranger,so i know there rare here.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
ovcshop
New User
The canister on the intake valve looks like a vent affair. There isn't anything going in or comming out of it! It's just plumed into the intake?? We will take it off and have alook anyway. Found a HB - purchased and on it's way, From AutoZone.com, an auto parts store in the USA which comes in awlfull handy sometimes. Thanks for your help Sir.

Last edited by ovcshop; 11-07-2005 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.3l 4d55 diesel engine parts - any in the Atlantic?