propane compression ??

Old 10-12-2005, 01:08 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
propane compression ??

I understand that the 110+ octane of propane allows for much higher SCR (static compression) and DCR (dynamic compression).

I can build a motor up to 13:1 SCR but am not sure what to aim for regarding DCR which is the working compression. A decent pump gas motor will be 7.5-8.1:1 DCR and a performance motor buring race gas will be around 9:1 DCR.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for with propane and why? ie heat build up etc. I'm not wanting to burn things up!

thanks

Old 10-13-2005, 04:58 PM
brown79
Senior User
http://franzh.home.texas.net/engine.html this site has lots of good tech info on "building a propane powered engine that lasts"

Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
thank you sooooo very much. awesome site!

Old 10-14-2005, 11:46 AM
brown79
Senior User
no prob i spent hours scouring the net looking for ways to make my 460 better i believe that propane is an excellent motor fuel with the right equipment and engine.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:51 AM
fraso
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I came across some articles about dynamic compression you might find interesting:

http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/cam-tech-c.htm

Old 04-24-2006, 02:49 PM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
thanks- cut my teeth of cochise but didn't have victory- good stuff. I wonder why so much fuss is made about scr when it can be so misleading to new folks - or even some intermediate builders. Some one can be all proud and happy with an 11.1 compression then blow the engine using a light cam or turn it into a dog using a huge one. Theres a lot of threads of folks who built em to find they had problems with premium fuel when they could have had a great motor burning 87.

I could have really blown my build had i gone with some of the initial recommendations I had gotten regarding huge compression. Now I'll destroy it cause I'm assembling it myself but the theory will have been strong and, by God thats whats important.

I'm liking having you around Fraso!

Search this Thread