IDI or DI

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:29 AM
JZue1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDI or DI

Hello all, Been thinking alot about getting into the BD craze....With the price of gas seems like the smartast thing. My problem is I own a 2004 PSD. So, I've been hearing that IDI is the best system to have. Now, my question is....What is IDI and DI? Also What year did they shift over to DI and how can I tell? I love my 6.0, but I really want to get into the BD. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Best site on the internet...Thanks

Old 09-29-2005, 09:13 AM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
biodiesel is not so much a problem with DI engines. WVO is often a problem however.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:48 AM
JZue1
New User
Thanks for the reply, so I really shouldnt have to worry too much if I slowly start sweeting my fuel with BD. Like starting out at 10% than slowly working my way up.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:51 PM
bczolone
Elder User
biodiesel has shown consistantly to be a problem in High Pressure Direct Injection; source include the U. of Missouri and Idaho tests...the problem is incresed carbon deposits on injector tips at double the rate of DF2...its the IDI (94-) that fall into the "no noticable" difference in wear catagory. Remeber that the carbon is greater, the power and milage less, although I don't think thats a reason not to start. If you do decide to run B100 just be aware of potential injector wear, at the least. If everything was perfect and a injector would normally last 100k then figure on 50k with the BD...I think safely I wouldn't use more than B20 in my 2004 6.0, but am trying to find another 94- ford instead. I make mine for about .93 a gal. with .33 going to buying prefiltered waste oil so I don't have to go collect or pre-filter it. IDI is OK because of the "pre-chamber heating" (?) prior to entering the cylinder along with the lower pressures and lower tolerances...look up the University of Missouri's reports the talk specifiaclly about those problem and using two 93? Dodge Pickups for long term testing.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:14 PM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
ohh and for your information....

ford reccomends no more than 5% of the fuel to be bio.
international however says 20% is just fine.

on another note, I would make sure the fuel is made perfectly.... More exacting injection in these new fangled diesels. Plus alot more to fix a screwup.
My 89 could run on a greasy rag.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:45 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
....What is IDI and DI?
IDI= Indirect injection. 1994 and earlier Ford diesels
DI= Direct injection. 1994.5-current Ford diesels.