Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Hello and which tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 09:45 PM
tqsrocks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and which tires.

Hello folks, just found this web site and been doing alot of reading on here. Nice to see other folks on here from CO. I got a 96' F250 7.3 and I have been thru alot of different brand tires and would like to know from those with the same truck what is working for you. I run mostly hard road and very little off road. I got Big O Tires AT's on now and I have about 31,000 miles on them now. It's time to find new tires, looking forward to all responses.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:29 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I never owned a truck like yours, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. J-K

Sorry to take so long to respond. My younger brother worked for Firestone for 12 years, taught me two things:
1) ALL domestic brands are produced at a very small number (3 or 4 maybe?) of factories.
2) You can buy a better quality off-brand tire for less money.

Unfortunately, the DOT does not require UTQG ratings for light truck tires. consumersearch.com has a recent (March, 05) comparison, you have to search for SUV/LT tires. Pirelli and Yokahama offer a treadwear warranty.

FWIW I really like my Yoko Geolander A/Ts. They are quieter than other A/Ts I have owned, tread squirm is pretty much nonexistent. I can't really comment on ride comfort, my beast rides like a three legged horse regardless of tire choice. "Off road" is kind of subjective, I want to go play when others have enough sense to stay in and drink hot cocoa. These tires take me where I want to go.

Happy hunting, Mike

Old 10-05-2005, 05:46 PM
StillaKilla187
Senior User
the best tires i have used are bfg a/t good tire wear, very good offroad, good in snow, mud, ect.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:10 PM
tqsrocks
New User
Been thru Firestone's and BFG AT's tires already, got low miles. Looking at Cooper Discoverer ATR's, ran into a owner who has F350 PS 4-door 4X4 and said that he has been pleased with them so far, he has 15,000 miles on them and they looked pretty new still. Anyone out there running the Cooper's. Also, which is the best thread to get more info on tires. Thanks for the responses.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:43 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I have always run BFG's on my trucks...until last week. I now have a set of Pro Comps All Terrains on my F150. Will see how they do. SO far I like them. ABout the same road noise as the BFG All Terrains. Just a little bit more aggressive tread. Mileage is supposed to be about the same. But the deal I got I couldn't pass up. 4 tires, mounted and balanced for $670. 285-75-16's. 4 wheel parts, (yes, the one online.), has a sale, Buy 3 Pro Comps, get 1 free. They have a store here locally in Denver so I thought I would try them. Especially since all I had was some cheap tire that were new a year ago and the dealer's use em so they can say it has new tires. But they only lasted about 20k miles. Check em out.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/produ...&catName=TIRES

You can buy em and have them installed elsewhere if you want and they will still honor the warranty.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:32 AM
tqsrocks
New User
Those Pro Comps I think Tire World has them, I'll check them out, thanks.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:24 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

4 Wheel parts is the one with em on sale. Unless it is a Pro Comp sponsored sale. Otherwise....you can get em and have tire world put em on.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:13 PM
tqsrocks
New User
I went to Tire World today and after saying to the salesman that I am about 95% highway/hardtop, he didn't mentioned the Pro Comps or Cooper ATR tires, he wanted me to buy a GEOSTAR Radial A/T-1 tires for four @ 526.00 out the door. I have never heard of them and they have 40,000 mile warranty on them. Anyone use or heard of them.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:06 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Thats a new one to me. Take a look at the tread design. How aggressive are they compared to the other brands? Does he also offer a road hazard warranty with them or is that included in the 40k warranty? At what tread life does the free replacement and and they start the pro-rating?

Just a couple of things to consider. Even you do only go off road 5% of the time, winter is pretty much here and you never know what you will run across.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:19 PM
tqsrocks
New User
Old 10-09-2005, 07:24 PM
tqsrocks
New User
I forgot, the 526.00 includes everything including the road hazard warranty.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Not bad. Not my style, but not bad. I like em with a more aggressive tread. And more plys on the side and tread. But if you don't do much off road, then you should get some good life out of the Geo's. For that price, I say go for it.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:25 PM
tqsrocks
New User
Went 4 Wheel Parts web site and saw that their is a store in Colorado Springs, I went their and checked out the Pro Comp tires. I'm going with the Pro Comp All Terrain tires deal they have going on, thanks BillyBob69 for the info on them. Ran into three folks while I was there at 4 Wheel Parts store and they all were running the Pro Comp tires, that they were happy with them and one of them use to have them Geo tires and he told me they were junk. That made up my mind to chance the Pro Comp tires.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:06 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Good to know you have a 4wheel parts location down there. Would suck having to drive all the way up here to Denver just for a set of tires.

Quick Reply: Hello and which tires.