Sponsored by: Moser

79 4x4 headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 PM
bigbird79
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 4x4 headers

Hey all I am new to this group, and I have looked around a lot and like what I see. I didn’t see anything that actually answered my question so here goes.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I have a 79 F150 4x4 with a 400, NP435, NP205 and about 4 inches of suspension lift. I need to put a new exhaust system on my truck, and was hoping to do it fairly simply. I was thinking a set of header a section of straight pipe and glass packs. But I can’t find anyone that says their headers bolt in and won’t need tubing bent to get around the tranny, transfer case or cross member. Does anyone here know of any that would fit my needs? Also has anyone ever use Summit Racing Headers, what were your thoughts?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Thanks, Sean

Old 09-14-2005, 09:15 PM
witdog2020
Senior User
There are several companies that build these headers, I have used the summit racing headers, and could not fix the exhaust leak that was always there, I think they were cheaply manufactured(bent) or when you torqued them down they would warp enough to create an exhaust leak. my .02

Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Looks like maybe Headman Elite series will work for your application. If it does not need smog...

http://www.hedman.com/pages/hedmanmain.html

Part #: 89368

Hope this helps...

Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
i dont know what style of headers they are but i do know the previous owner of my 79 f150 4x4 460 c6 put hedman headers on it and when i was out muddin my front drive shaft yoke (where the ujoint is) smashed one of the tubes on my headers. luckily its not completely pinched shut.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:56 AM
stegmst
Junior User
I use sanderson mid lenght headers. Eliminates all clearance problems.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:17 AM
snyiper
Senior User
Would fenderwells work on your application?

Old 09-15-2005, 09:28 AM
bigbird79
Freshman User
Thanks for the responses, more than I expected for less than a day. Thanks.

I don't have to worry about emissions here in CT with my truck; it is old enough it is exempt. I was looking at the Hedman page, and this is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but what does it mean when they say "Fenderwell Exit" under the notes? Which fender are they talking? Does this mean they run outside the frame rails?

I have 2 main goals here, keep it cheap and keep it simple. That being said, if it comes down to it I will sacrifice keeping it cheap for quality, but then it becomes keep it as cheap as possible. Currently my exhaust systems is rusting off, and all needs to be replaced, and I would like to do it all in my driveway, so that is why am headed down the path I am.

Witdog 2020, Did the Summit headers you ran have 5/16" or 1/4" flanges? Did they leak at the heads or at the collector?

Stegmst, When you said mid length header is that like a stubby? Wouldn’t I have to have tubing bent to fit that in?

Thanks

Sean

Old 09-15-2005, 11:05 AM
tellico racing
Posting Guru
I would get a set of Fenderwell exit headers (outside the frame rails) from L and L. They are pricey but they are worth it for the quality.

The rest of the exhaust would be a cinch to do in the driveway. If you do a search in this forum and the 4x4 forum on fenderwell exit headers, you will find a ton of info about them.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:50 AM
bigbird79
Freshman User
Ok again, I have a stupid question. My experience with headers up to this point has been on our circle track car, so its somewhat limited.

With fender well exit headers at what point do the headers go outside the frame rail? Is it straight through the wheel well and over the frame rail or do they pass under the rail down back by the end of the engine compartment? I am just having a hard time picturing this.

Sorry for the stupid questions, I am just really having a hard time picturing this and haven't been able to come up with any pic of headers installed when I search the web. I am going to have to go home and search through the mags tonight.

Thanks again,

Sean

Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 PM
snyiper
Senior User
They come out the engine compartment over the steering I think and exit outside the frame rail. They take up a bit more room in the enginew compt and may hinder tight turning radius but easier to fab up the rest outside the frame rails.
Glenn

Old 09-15-2005, 01:39 PM
bigbird79
Freshman User
Interesting. Guess its time to do more reseach, and crawl under my truck (oh darn) ) I hadn't considered this option.

Thanks,

Sean

Old 09-15-2005, 02:22 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
I second the fenderwell headers. I had to do some slight trimming to the bottom of my inner fender (some people do, some don't) and take about 1/4" off off the bottom of my cab mounts which can be done with a basic angle grinder. Other than that the only other mod needed in some cases is a small movement of the brake lines. It's nice because it frees up all the space between the frame rails. You don't have to wrap under the tranny, you don't block access to the starter, and you can build all the rest yourself since it's a straight shot. I have a straight pipe with cutouts coming off the headers and then my mufflers exit right behind the cab. I'll try to snap a picture of the whole setup tomorrow to give you an idea of how it all fits together. Here's one with the fenders removed. You can see how they feed right over the frame.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:49 PM
bigbird79
Freshman User
Ah, ok I see now, I just wasn't picturing how I was going to get through the steering and brakes. So how close does the header come to the Spring pocket and front shock? Obviously you have slightly larger tires than I am running, do you know of any issues with tire rubbing on the header, as mentioned earlier?

Old 09-15-2005, 02:50 PM
bigbird79
Freshman User
I meant to say any issue with 35" tires rubbing on the headers....

Old 09-15-2005, 03:02 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Tom (tellico_racing) can probably answer this better than I since he's got an F150 and I've got leaf springs with custom shock mounts. Check out his header gallery here though as he's got some great pics that look as though the headers clear the shock mounts just fine: https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...1&albumid=4715 I hear that some people have a little tire rub and some don't at all. You can always turn out the steering stops a little if you do. With my lift/tire combo I don't touch them at all but it all depends on your setup. I think Tom is running 39's, we'll see what he has to say about tire rub.

Quick Reply: 79 4x4 headers