1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

RAP (Remote Anti-Theft Personality) Module

Old 09-13-2005, 10:26 PM
befuddledguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAP (Remote Anti-Theft Personality) Module

Can this thing just be unhooked and removed? I have a 97 F250LD Extended Cab 4X4 XLT Lariat, it has a factory anti-theft / remote entry system. I have the FORD TSP Disk for the 97 year vehicles and it shows how to uninstall this thing. But doesn't say if there is anything that has to be done after removing it (if anything does need to be done). I was curious if anyone knew whether or not there were any risks or problems associated with just removing it? The reason I want to remove it is I am getting ready to install a Clifford Matrix Remote Start / Security System and don't want the factory system to interfere with it. Thanks guys - BTW if anyone has anything specific (within reason) they want me to look up for the 97 year vehicles I'd be glad to...

THX -
97F250LD E.C. 4x4

Old 09-14-2005, 10:05 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Don't think it will run without the RAP module. Many components tap into that, and I believe your aftermarket remote start/security system will, too. I know my "Ford Gold" remote start/ security system does. I bought the Ford system to be sure of compatibility (and so I wouldn't have to carry two remotes), but I think its actually made by Clifford or somebody like them, and the aftermarket systems now integrate fine.

PS: Actually, mine has the "Central Security Module" rather than the your older "Remote Anti-theft Personality Module", so maybe I am leading you astray, but I think it's similar. Incidentally, you will probably want to have the wiring diagrams to make your installation easier. I was surprised to find that my print edition of the shop manual did not provide these and had to buy a separate book of wiring diagrams. You might want to check if your CD has them.

Last edited by MrBSS; 09-14-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:07 PM
befuddledguy
Junior User
Thanks for the input - and you are correct, I found out a couple of things - and some good info for anyone else installing one of these yourself, the vehicle will NOT run without the RAP module or the newer version as in your case. However the newer alarms like the Matrix RSX 3.5 by Clifford will actually arm & disarm the factory module as it arms and disarms itself - so it works in conjunction with it. The wiring diagrams on the TSP Disk are too vague for alarm installation. So will be looking for resources on the net for wiring info...

Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
guy, I have a small Red Led in the knee panel at the left of my steering wheel.
I think it's a RAP indicator, but I've looked all over under the dash and cant find a switch.
My Speaker out under the hood is disconnected. Somebody yanked the wire out of a connector (which I cant find).
Did you find your alarm processor in the door panel?

I'm just too busy right now to take this thing apart looking for the Bugger alarm stuff, but it'd be nice if I had it.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:51 PM
befuddledguy
Junior User
The alarm processor / RAP Module is on the firewall behind and above the e-brake pedal. It's a grey box, mounted up high (you have to lay on your back looking up with your head by the brake pedal to see it). It's difficult to trace the leads, you need a good color coded schematic to figure it out. If it was a dealer installed or aftermarket item it could be anywhere, but that's still the most common place for it. Hope that helps...

Old 09-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I've been printing this information, and storing it with my Truck print package for a time when I can use it.

Old 02-14-2023, 04:30 PM
RRHC
1st Gear
An attempt was to steal my 97. They damaged the ignition lock cylinder, which apparently send a message to the ignition relay not to allow starting. Does your CD tell how to clear this. Also does it say if ignition lock cylinder is different if you have RAP or not?

Old 02-15-2023, 07:37 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,034 Likes on 937 Posts
The aftermarket alarms and remote start systems have to convince the RAP module that the key is present
Lots of trouble with these
If it works after the install, watch for it to quit working when you are far from home
They do work, but they do quit working too, and need to either be re initialized or replaced
Good luck

Old 07-23-2023, 01:45 AM
97frankenFord
1st Gear
97 f150 reply

Hello sir I saw you said if anyone needs anything for a 97 to ask I’m in the process of putting a new harness in my truck and was wondering if you have any wiring info or the diagrams for the cluster and the pats system.. I have a donor harness from an 03 XLT but I’m not sure how it’s gonna workout the pats system in in the cluster of the 97 and the other harness has the raps module also my truck is a manual and the other eco and stuff is from a automatic can I still use it or could I reprogram the thing?any help would be very appreciated
Originally Posted by befuddledguy
Can this thing just be unhooked and removed? I have a 97 F250LD Extended Cab 4X4 XLT Lariat, it has a factory anti-theft / remote entry system. I have the FORD TSP Disk for the 97 year vehicles and it shows how to uninstall this thing. But doesn't say if there is anything that has to be done after removing it (if anything does need to be done). I was curious if anyone knew whether or not there were any risks or problems associated with just removing it? The reason I want to remove it is I am getting ready to install a Clifford Matrix Remote Start / Security System and don't want the factory system to interfere with it. Thanks guys - BTW if anyone has anything specific (within reason) they want me to look up for the 97 year vehicles I'd be glad to...

THX -
97F250LD E.C. 4x4

Old 07-24-2023, 03:25 PM
BareBonesXL
Tuned
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Befuddledguy last posted in this thread 17 1/2 years ago. Hasn't been on the site since 4-25-2006.

The early posts in this thread describe how the aftermarket systems work in conjunction with the Ford systems. You don't replace the Ford anti-theft system, you add the aftermarket system on top of it. Good luck.