Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd Mudding?

Old 09-11-2005, 09:24 AM
jjg052590
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd Mudding?

I have a 2005 F150 Supercrew XLT 5.4l v8 2wd with 3.55ls I want to go mudding but I figure with 2wd I better not what do ya'll think? I'm going to get some Moto Metal 951s black and some BFGoodrich All Terrains do ya'll think that's a waste of my money?

Old 09-11-2005, 12:31 PM
tellico racing
Posting Guru
I say get a cheap 4x4 to beat on........But thats just me

Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
dont do it man! that's a brand new truck. i gotta ask, why would you wanna get that thing all muddy and gritty and run the risk of frying electronics?

on another note... yes it's very simple. you need to get the right size tires with the right style tread and then you can go from their. BFG all terrains are not mud tires and you will get stuck.... in wet grass! i suggest you get a mud terrain type tire and a locker for the rear axle (considering you dont have a front) and possibly a winch cause you will end up stuck

BFG A/T's are great for DD and your trip down the gravel road and what not but any kind of mud much deeper than the tread itself and they willjust cake up and become mud slicks

o yea... and one last thing, if you wanna hit some mud, just be prepared to get pulled out (that means tow points front and rear and possible dented, bent fenders from your buddies snatching on you and the strap breaking)

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 09-11-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:35 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Agreed. I think for looks, that your choice is good, but I don't think you're going to want to use your new truck for mudding. especially with all-terrains. They don't make the best mud tires. If you did want to use "mud" tires, then you'd be wasting the ride and comfort of your 2wd truck.

Cody

EDIT: You beat me to it, Cutts!!!

Old 09-11-2005, 12:56 PM
jjg052590
Senior User
I knew I should have annoyed my dad until he got the 4x4 oh well I'll stick to the street... Spend my mods on looks..like billet grille,exhaust,rims..stuff like that! exactly why my dad didn't get the 4x4 he said because then I'd really be tempted to go tear it up so I'm kinda happy that my dad did that!

Old 09-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guess you could mud your 2wd truck, I think later on you will be mad at yourself for getting it a full of mud. It doesn't matter how well you clean it, you'll never get all the mud out from underneath. Your best bet would be to get yourself an older 4wd F150 or Bronco. My buddy has an uncle who wheels a 2wd Chevy S10, he has a built 350 SBC/350THM tranny, D44 Jeep rear axle with 4.10 gears and a locker. It has 9 total inches of lift: 3 inch body, 6 inch Fabtech suspension lift. For rubber: 33x10.50 BFG MTs on steel wheels up front, 33x14.50 Super Swamper Boggers in the rear. He rarely gets stuck, often times goes through more than most 4wds can take on. It's just a play toy that he put together with spare parts, it's really a lot of fun.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:47 AM
warrencowboy05
Senior User
yeah except that its a chevy!

adam

Old 09-21-2005, 02:37 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Pkupman82
He rarely gets stuck, often times goes through more than most 4wds can take on
lol then ya'll must not have real 4wd trucks, lol. go find a real mud hole and back into it

-cutts-

Old 09-21-2005, 03:09 PM
TallGuy_Az
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pkupman82
He rarely gets stuck, often times goes through more than most 4wds can take on
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
lol then ya'll must not have real 4wd trucks, lol. go find a real mud hole and back into it

-cutts-
I'm with you cutts, I can't believe how many people make that statement! They need to find someone with a real 4x4, or check their own to make sure the front d-shaft is connected......

Old 09-21-2005, 03:16 PM
IBeam
Senior User
They don't go well in Snow Drifts 3 feet high either, just ask my son whom I have pulled out to many times to count. I can't wait until he has to pull his kids out. :-)

Old 09-21-2005, 05:13 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only got stuck once with a 4x4, but I have gotten stuck hundreds of times with my old 2wd drive ford. (they were the exact same truck, one with 4x4 and one without).

that wasn't trying to get stuck either.. I'm surprised I never managed to bury my beater up to the hubs

Old 09-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trying to wheel in a 2wd just doesn't work even if you have a locker and mud tires nothing beats that extra front tire pulling. I experimented with a old 78 Bronco on my famillies property it has various terrian and a grass covered road that is fair grade to it.

The Bronco had regular Lt 235/75R15 rubber on it the tires were used A/Ts with 40% tread left no way it would climb the grass covered road in 2wd it didn't want to climb the road in 4wheeldrive. I had some old cable snow chains strapped them on the back it got up the road then. It wasn't till I wore the grass down to the dirt and the cable chains broke it would climb in 4wheeldrive.

I swapped the 235s for a set of 7.00-15 bias ply traction tires I had already on some old 5 bolt wheels. The old heavy lugged snow tires worked good they made the old bronco climb good in 2wd forget it once you pulled the transfercase into 4 lo or hi it would pretty much go anywhere. The thing had old automatic hubs that I had to weld perminatly locked in well the weld broke from wheeling the Bronco. I used it for carry my tools around the property like chainsaws worked good saved me from lugging stuff around.

I was down at the bottom of the grassy road with no 4wheeldrive so I backed up took a run at the hill got 1/2 way up with the rear wheels justa spinning and the flex plate let go. That was the end of the old bronco I decided to scrap it. I got a old Toyota that thing was good but it wouldn't go anywhere in 2wd but in 4wd it would go pretty much anywhere. My brother took that and fixed it up and he is driving it as his daily driver.

I got a old 80 Bronco the thing was a piece of crap it was being stored on my parents property it belonged to a friend of my brothers. I worked the shiat out of it. I used for a log skidder when I was clearing the neighbours property plus packing my falling gear and saws. It had bald 235s it had troubles going anywhere in 2wd but in 4wheeldrive it got around pretty good. I never broke it but it sure seen some abuse

The Bronco had a heavy trailer hitch it worked good for attaching cables and rope to for yanking logs out and putting tension on trees I wanted to fall in a certain direction. If it the log didn't want to move I would back up take a run at it and yank on it

Anyhow to sum up the rambling you need 4wheeldrive to do any kind of off roading I know my previous F-350s and F-450s which were 2wd all lacked traction. Once you leave a paved road and ventured onto a construction site you run the risk of getting stuck. I kinda wish I had 4wheeldrive again but I need the carrying capacity for the work I do.

The only way my F-350s climb anywhere is with 2000lbs over the back wheels my F-450s are the same. All my trucks have commercial light truck traction tires.

You may think 4wheeldrive isn't worth it but it is when you need it even a 4x4 with bald tires climbs good.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:41 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,703 Likes on 1,316 Posts
I have a '97 F-150 4x4 with 265/75/16 Winston Winner LT's (very, very good A/T tire that is great for mud) on it and I rarely get stuck even while Im in 2wd. I started a local 4x4 club, so I have had plenty of opportunities to test them.

I also have the 3.55 LS rearend under my truck. You probably wont need a locker, unless the mud you are in is very off camber (when the mud is located on uneven terrain where your suspension will flex). As long as the rear axle is somewhat parallel to the truck's frame, both tires will lock up.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:31 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
I also have the 3.55 LS rearend under my truck. You probably wont need a locker, unless the mud you are in is very off camber (when the mud is located on uneven terrain where your suspension will flex). As long as the rear axle is somewhat parallel to the truck's frame, both tires will lock up.
Perhaps that is the case in your truck, but even on flat terrain, only 1 wheel will spin.

Old 09-24-2005, 11:17 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
I have a '97 F-150 4x4 with 265/75/16 Winston Winner LT's (very, very good A/T tire that is great for mud) on it and I rarely get stuck even while Im in 2wd. I started a local 4x4 club, so I have had plenty of opportunities to test them.
not to rain on your parade but i have to wonder the kind of muddin you do! i mean if A/T's were the way to go, even in 2wd, then why dont you see guys running them in bogs and drags?

-cutts-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2wd Mudding?