1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upfitter info here:

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 06:24 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upfitter info here:

I just got done installing the upfitter parts in my 04 F250 CC 5.4L Others might find some of this info useful.

1. The switch plate will fit the dash with a little work. I was able to cut 4 small holes in the cubby area of the dash to allow the plate to snap into the dash. You will have a small space on the right side, I fabricated a lexan piece to fill this.

2. You can make the switch's momentary (will spring back to off position when you let go) I opened the panel and with about 15 minutes of work I converted the #4 switch to momentary.

3. The plug for the fuse box is there kind of. I dropped the main fuse box under the dash and found that I had a matching white plug already in the fuse box with only 2 wires used, you can reconfigure and take advantage of some of the circuits already in the the box.

If anyone wants more info, let me know, I took some pictures and can lay out a step by step for you.

The following users liked this post:
PSK
Old 09-19-2005, 02:48 PM
rusty
New User
could you please post some of the pics and where you picked up the power source? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:05 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you describe how you converted #4 switch to be a momentary switch?

Old 09-19-2005, 05:45 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
rusty, I have the pics at work, I'll post some tommorrow.

Ryaneverk2, let me review my pics and I will post a set of directions for you.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:13 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
I have compiled a set of directions with full pics in word format, if someone can help me get them posted here I would be happy to, I have tried copy and paste but it looses all of the pictures

Old 09-20-2005, 12:10 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Hmmm. Well, you can copy all of the text and get that posted, then go back and copy each picture individually and try pasting them that way. You may have to upload the pics to a site like webshots or putfile and then just post links to them.

Do you have Comcast for your internet provider, by any chance?

Old 09-20-2005, 01:06 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
I am on verizon dsl now, when I get home I have cablevision. The thing is I have a step by step with the pictures in the right places so I don' really want to break it up, I see that other people can do this so why can't I? I have tryed the add a picture button but I don't understand how it works

Old 09-20-2005, 01:25 PM
efoster_01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im fairly certain you have to be a supporter to post pics (attachments) in a forum. do you have a website you can put the file on and then link to it.

Bone

Last edited by efoster_01; 09-20-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:36 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
o.k. guys I am working with ryaneverk2 to get the instructions posted.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Well, unfortunately I wasn't able to find any place to host the document, which is a .pdf. The best I can do is post the text of the .pdf here, and then I uploaded the pics to Imageshack, and posted links to the pics.

Upfitter install to 04 F250
1. Snap the upfitter bezel off of the switch pod with a small screwdriver working from the rear.
2. Fit the bezel into the dash cubby hole and observe where the 4 locking tabs contact the dash. Remove the bezel, apply a strip of masking tape to the top and bottom of the cubby where the locking tabs contact. Reinstall the bezel and using a pen, mark through the tab holes onto the masking tape.
3. I used a dremel tool with a rotozip bit to cut 4 holes in the cubby, I started a little forward (towards the front of the truck) of my marks to be safe and cut a slot the width of the locking tab and went rearward about a half inch. I then cut a wire hole through the rear. You may have to bend the tabs out a little on the bezel for a good fit, if they don’t lock in, you may have to bring the slot a little more out (towards the rear of the truck) to achieve the correct fit.
4. Install the harness per the directions
5. When I dropped my fuse block I found a matching white connector already in the truck with 2 wires being used. I removed the connector, then removed the locking wedge from both connectors, I tranfered the green/orange to the upfitter harness (the same location was open in the upfitter connector) The second wire I needed to move was a solid orange, however the upfitter harness also needed the same pin, so I spliced the upfitter violet/orange to the trucks solid orange.
6. I found that fuse location F2.3 & F2.5 (the feeds for switch’s 3 & 4) are dead, there are no circuits in the fuse box. I removed the RD/LB & RD wires from the connector, spliced them together and relocated them to here
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5...fitter18pc.jpg

7. You see the red wire with the blue butt connector, this feed’s off fuse #1 in the box (heated seats, Which I don’t have) I changed the fuse to 10A (In my application switch’s 3 & 4 are feed’s to a roof beacon so they will be fine on one fuse, depending on you application, you may need to find a second fuse so as not to combine them)
8. I them removed the lt blue/red wire (illumination), extended it, located the harness coming down from the headlamp switch and spliced into the same color wire.
9. I did find no power to switch’s 1 & 2 due to missing fuses in the box, simply
install fuses and you should be good to go.

Converting to momentary switch’s
1. Snap off the outer upfitter switch bezel with a small screwdriver working from the rear.
2. Separate front half of switch panel from the circuit board using the same
technique
3. Next you will have to remove the switch paddle that you want to make
momentary, if it is switch #1 or #4, working from the front of switch gently spread the plastic at the pivot and remove the switch, if you want to do Switch #2 or 3, I think you will have to remove the outer paddle first to make room although I did not try this.
5. Once the switch is apart if you look at the backside of the paddle you will see a white plastic rod that is spring loaded, now look into the housing cavity and you will see this
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6...fitter23gh.jpg

6. I used a small piece of an oil bottle and glued it into place like this
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6...fitter37wg.jpg

7. All you want to do is cover the lower dent so that the plastic rod does not have a place to snap into
8. Now just reassemble the pod and it should be momentary

Let me know if you have any additional questions

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4...fitter44gp.jpg

All done including a right side filler panel that I made out of some scrap lexan.
While you have the switch bezel off, you can trace the bezel to get the shape for a filler panel.

The following users liked this post:
PSK
Old 09-20-2005, 04:29 PM
booker250
Senior User
Very nice write-up. Thanks.

I take it you cannot use these if you have a trailer brake module?

Old 09-20-2005, 04:34 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
booker250, your profile shows that you have an 06, the upfitters should go right in without modification to any 05&up as I understand it. You could use the momentary modification if needed, but other than that you should be set.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:36 PM
booker250
Senior User
Awesome. Thanks!!

Last edited by IB Tim; 09-20-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:10 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey nice job...

Im gonna be getting the lower dash panel from an 05 lariat with the driver glove box, So I will have the correct hole to put the up fitter switches into... however I have an 04... so I will to have to wire up the switches on my own... Do you feel like coming to Rhode Island and help me wire up mine... lol...

Maybe I can figure out how to wire up a factory trailer brake while IM at it... he he

Last edited by dynamic; 09-20-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:15 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
dynamic, Good luck, it's really not that bad. If you want me to wire it you gotta come to my shop in Jersey!

Quick Reply: Upfitter info here: