Hydrogen ?

Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
flatsman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hydrogen ?

ok, I have read several topics on alternative fuels, but not seen much on H2
Anyone hsve any success with hydrogen conversion or running it to increase milage with gas ? I have been thinking it could be a good alternative with gas headed towards $3 gal

Old 08-30-2005, 05:36 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Take a moment to read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:56 AM
flatsman
New User
So what's the deal? No one has ever used the hydrogen conversion kits ? Seems like the best alternative fuel to me if the kits work. Anyone know anything about this ?

Old 09-01-2005, 11:58 AM
beeglej
Junior User
Sorry not much experience here about Hydrogen. Most Alternative Fuels discussed here are about diesels. Like biodiesel and SVO.

All I know is a guy in Canada has something called the Brown system for Hydrogen that lookes real promising. A system that accutually puts more oxygen into the atmosphere.
Its about some metal alloy and salts combined with water to produce Hydrogen.

Google "Brown and Hydrogen Fuel" and see what you get.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 PM
STX03F150
Freshman User
toyota has a hydrogen powered vehicle (a version of the highlander) already on the road in california. the only problem they are having is the fill capacity of the fuel. there is already a fill station in california. thats the biggest problem with the hydrogen is that they have to build fill stations which cost alot of $$$$$$$. i cant wait til the make a fill station in south florida i would buy that toyota in a heartbeat.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:44 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Burning hydrogen basically requires a supercharger because you need more O2 than standard-pressure air to make it burn right.

Then, there's producing it.

They have fuel cells that produce electricity from cracking the hydrogren from the gasoline. And the hydrogen you would find at that CA fill station is produced by cracking it from petroleum. Still not an answer to the petroleum problem.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
The basic problem is that hydrogen is not really an energy source. Like electricity, you have to make it. And nobody's able to make it without using more energy than it would provide. So we're going in the wrong direction here.

Of course, if we really wanted to be energy independent, we could make hydrogen using nuclear reactors, but most of the people who advocate it would not find that acceptable. We'll probably be forced into it eventually.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:42 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBSS
Of course, if we really wanted to be energy independent, we could make hydrogen using nuclear reactors, but most of the people who advocate it would not find that acceptable. We'll probably be forced into it eventually.
Good point about nuclear reactors...

Old 05-10-2014, 06:24 PM
James Stephens
New User
not currently do we have economical sources to produce hydrogen wrong...salt water contains 11 percent per gallon of hydrogen and can be extracted by a very small piece of platanium and a small battery ...its just widely available ...just the problem is not making the fuel its the fuel re fill stations the epa government regulations but its comeing and fast 10 years from now will be driving hydrogen cars

Old 07-19-2014, 11:45 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Citation needed. Source? Is or is not the process in mass industrial adoption?

If hydrogen were convenient and economic to produce and use as fuel, economics, which drives fuel choices, would have driven mass adoption of hydrogen motor fuel. However it is a storage medium and energy to produce hydrogen isn't free.

If you want, buy a cylinder of the stuff and try it yourself. Your local welding supply will happily order it. (You will also note the weight difference between a DOT-approved high pressure industrial gas cylinder and the light petroleum gas tank...)

Here's how hydrogen is already produced in vast quantities for its many industrial uses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production

Old 08-09-2014, 11:57 PM
nkf
Mountain Pass
I have heard that there is some kind of hydrogen injection like water injection. You mix part a and another part in a tank and it has a hose that runs to a plat under the carb. I have heard it helps some depending on what you are getting for fuel mileage to begin with. I have heard take about it with motor homes. Maybe check some of the RV sights. Remember, I have not seen it myself just over heard some guys talking about it on 80 meter.