Thinking of switching to Propane

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:46 PM
whiskerbiscuit
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of switching to Propane

I have a 2004 new body style F150 supercrew and I was wondering if it was possible to switch to propane? I have checked out a couple of websites listed in previous posts regarding propane conversion, but all the sites seem to be running propane in older style offroad vehicles. I have no clue when it comes to engines, so I pretty much need it spelled out for me.

1.) Is it possible with a newer vehicle?
2.) What parts/kits would I need?
3.) Would I have to reprogram the engine computer?
4.) Where to get it done? Mechanic/dealer or do it yourself?
5.) Road Tax? If I am not buying regular gas with the tax included in the gallon price, am I breaking some law by not paying road tax?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:56 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. EFI Ford engines run on CNG too, and Propane is closer to gasoline, so probably.
2. At the very least tanks, lines and a different kind of fuel pump.
3. Most likely, since BTU/gallon is less than gasoline, the O2 sensor wont be able to compensate enough.
4. ?
5. Probably

The older systems used a low-pressure injector in the air cleaner assembly on top of an old fashoned carburator. EFI systems need more highly pressurized fuel. Since CNG is stored at very high pressures, all it needs is regulators to lower it. Gasoline Fords today have a submerged pump in the tank, so that wont work with Propane. The external fuel pumps for 80's vintage EFI Fords might work. Engineering such a conversion is not trivial and if you are not very comfortable modifying modern cars I would recommend against it.

If you look at the energy conversion link listed in another post, you may want to reconsider. Propane has much less energy per gallon than gasoline, so it may not be the "bargain" you think, even if you cheat on the road tax.

Jim

Old 08-24-2005, 09:35 PM
brown79
Senior User
try a company called technoarb they sell propane conversions for efi vehicles some of thier kits are even EPA certified.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:10 PM
whiskerbiscuit
Freshman User
Thanks for the help and info. By the way, I figured out the typo on technoarb. For all those interested it is Technocarb. I will contact them and see if they can do anything for me.