off road fuel....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:49 PM
buckshot047
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry off road fuel....

can I run it in my truck? if so is there anything special I have to watch for? This is bull**** last night fuel went up .20 cents a gallon!!!! WTF! Wish I had my November vote back.....ALSO anyone in central wisconsin do not go to Lamonts gas stations...the greedy ***** went up .10 cnets a gallon for 24 hours before everyone else went up the full .20!

Old 08-12-2005, 03:25 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Sure you can run it if you really wanted to...but they don't call it off road for nothin..I think everyone is pissed off about the fuel prices around here. That's why a lot of us are looking into the biodiesel/waste vegetable oil systems. Your truck will run on vegetable oil as long it is 160* or higher. Veggy oil is basically free and is legal.... as long as you pay the alternative fuel tax

Last edited by edub32; 08-12-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM
scole250
Senior User
Originally Posted by buckshot047
can I run it in my truck? if so is there anything special I have to watch for?
Yeah...a Highway Patrol Officer checking your fuel tank for red dye. Don't know how risky it is though.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:00 PM
fordman102
Elder User
You can run it but if you get caught you're looking at a very large fine. Sure would'nt be worth it to me. But I do know what ya mean by the prices. Just cost me $40. and I was just a little under 3/4 of a tank.Been trying to keep her topped off cause the price goes up every couple days.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah sure you can run it. its only different in color. first offense getting caught is 5000 dollars, or $10 per gallon, which ever is higher. a nice way would be to have a off road tank of 90-100 gallons that hides between yourbed and toolbox, (like in northern tool catalog) and then fill your tank up with 10 gallons (tank that came in the truck) of on road diesel as a deterrent. make it look legit, with a pump and hose on the tank ("off road diesel only" sticker) . but instead of using the hose and all, just adapt it so that the truck will pull fuel from the off road tank. then stop to fill up your off road diesel tank with fuel, and then that way it would be much harder to get caught. if a cop dipped the tank (the 40 gal tank) it would look like you have 1/4 tank of fuel left. good idea?

Old 08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
rollnthunder_76
Senior User
Thats a good idea..........For as high as these stupid prices are i would try it.Just imagine how the truckers feel.Its out of control and no one to stop it.Just bend over and take it.....HMMMM NOT i would try off road diesel.Heck i got a big tank of it.Its either that or start going broke.

Last edited by rollnthunder_76; 08-12-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:21 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we have a 550 gallon tank of on road, a 550 gallon tank of off road, and a 550 gallon tank of gas. its very tempting to pull up beside the off road tank and fill up.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Diesel Driver
Freshman User
Wouldn't reccomend off road. At our weigh stations in Pa they check and if it's pink the initial fine is $1000.00, which you can't get out of, and then $100 per gallon in the tank, that's arguable. The problem is geting the stuff out of the tank once you use it. From information received it may take as many as 2 to 3 tanks of good stuff to get out the red dye. So guess what, yep, if you get caught during the time your trying to get red of it. Well I think you get the idea.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:28 PM
rollnthunder_76
Senior User
Here in michigan we dont have to cross scales unless we have commercial plates on our pickups so hell with it i will run it.All i do is run back and forth to work 30miles one way.I have never seen anyone around here getting there tank sticked even when i was driving semi's.Around here its not that common of a thing.

Last edited by rollnthunder_76; 08-12-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:42 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well in Iowa you don't have to cross scales without a commercial plate either but atleast once a year I have seen IRS agents running around with DOT officers stopping any truck that is a diesel, and testing the tank $1000 first offense $10,000 second offense in one year. And yes I said IRS cause it's considered tax evasion which means you are guilty, and they don't have to prove your guilty beyond that.
Also for those that run an offroad tank in the back you would be suprised how many try hooking that into the fuel system, guess what the IRS agents know that trick, and have been know to pull some fuel out of the fuel filter if they suspect your doing that (and having totally cold fuel in a tank on a running truck is thier first clue yes they sometimes check fuel temp too)

Old 08-12-2005, 08:01 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a sticky situation with me. Prices are sky-rocketing out of reason. I gave a lot of thought to the used veggie oil deal. Start-up costs are high, but can be easily offset by fuel cost savings. Of course now I am considering the taxes that have to be paid even if I use recycled veggie. This iritates me even more because I feel like if I do all the work to recycle a waste product, then why should I have to pay taxes on it just like a fuel product that someone else manufactured? It's 100% pure BULL, IMO. The bottom line is that the government and the oil companies have us right where they want us. I am a little too uneasy to use the off-road fuel because of the high penalty. I have heard of folks around where I live that have gotten caught running the pink stuff. I couldn't stand that kind of fine. I would come much closer to running non-tax-paid WVO than I would taking a chance with the red diesel. I will continue to try and figure out a way to "beat the system" here, though. Something needs to be done about these ridiculously high prices. If I actually thought the oil companies' costs had gone up in accordance to the way they have jacked up our cost, then it would be different. I am a firm believer that they are sticking it to us just because they can.........

Old 08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monster you hit the nail on the head. Same here as it is there. My dad runs offroad in his Excursion (he live in south Fla.) and the nice thing bout Excursion is no diesel badging on it, plus they are to busy checking truckers to get every diesel on the road. Too damn many people down there to check everyone. I was thinking about it but since IRS stepped in not a chance!

Old 08-12-2005, 10:31 PM
fast freddie
Senior User
I'm hearing rumors that the big rig drivers are planning some kind of action like parking their trucks for a week. I hope it's true. That's the kinda thing that's gonna have to happen to get some attention...

Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
one thing to remember, they no longer "dip" tanks as a lot of people think. they have a tester that they use to check emissions. if you have ever burned farm diesel, it will show up. also, once you run red in your tank you will never be able to get it out. i have heard burn 2 tanks of white and it will clean out, but that is bull. just a little red mixed in white will turn the whole damn tank red. i have been tempted as well to burn the red, but i am not that brave. they have 3 options, fine or jail time or take away your license to purchase. or they can do all 3. its too risky for the amount of money u save. 5g will buy a lot of white diesel..

just my .02

Old 08-13-2005, 07:28 AM
trakman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard this to about the DOT not just dipping the tank but that they use a "sniffer" of some kind that they stick in the end of the tail pipe to see if you are using red. I've got the opportunity (have farm tractors and plenty of red storgage) but damn sure couldn't stand the fine if caught so you will not find me using the red. Bite the bullet, pay the high price and go on.

Quick Reply: off road fuel....