bio-wvo, questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:51 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bio-wvo, questions

Two friends and I want to get away from paying the high diesel prices. I just saw on the news that fuel will be about $3.00 per gallon in a couple months. Currently it's around $2.86.

The three of us are willing to go in together on some sort of system. But none of us know what we should do. I have a 99.5 psd and they both have a 96' Cummin's. And one 68' Kenworth with a Cat. We want something that is hands down safe for all of our rigs. I have been reading some on the different set up's, but don't have any idea on what is going to work for us.

I like the idea of collecting the used fry oil. Is it as simple as filtering it, installing a seperate tank and them warming it up before it is pumped to the motor?

Will this damage the injectors etc? I seem to read alot about people doing it then others will "refine" it themselves to make bio. Why do this if running strait fry oil is ok? Just so they don't need a second tank?

Old 08-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Saigon
Elder User
Start here and read,http: //www.greasecar.com/index.cfm , I plan on making my rig from scratch,except the 6 port valve,in september.I have been currently running a 20% canola oil mix without any problems since may.I believe that straight veggie is better than bio,no chemicals eating away at rubber lines and washers,the most important points are filtration and heat,minimum 5 microns and minimum temperature 180°,event the stanadyne IP's will swallow it!
saigon

Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
beeglej
Junior User
Try this website:
http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

Hope This can help.
It did for me.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:51 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth, but I've been making biodiesel for about 18 months now, and post on 6 different biodiesel forums. The best and most reliable site I've ever found is http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/onlineresources/ This is a compilation of many sites from around the world, and is THE site to start from. There is a world of experance and many people willing to share there stories. Lot's of help for nube's. I see you are near my location[ arlington or ] If there is any help I can offer just let me know.FABMANDELUX.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:13 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I like the idea of collecting the used fry oil. Is it as simple as filtering it, installing a seperate tank and them warming it up before it is pumped to the motor?
simple as that. www.greasel.com
The '96 cummins would be perfect for this. A friend of mine ordered a kit from greasel for his '98 cummins, and it should be here this week. I don't know how well it works in high pressure common rail injection systems on the powerstroke, though.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:55 PM
beeglej
Junior User
the only drawback i see with the straight vegetable oil (SVO) kits is some people just filter it and then put it in their truck.

they don't remove the water which is extremly harmful for injectors

But the water can be removed it just takes a little more time to do.

But overall they are the cheaper per gallon and have a lot less time in processing the fuel.