Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I want to move to Colorado, have some questions....

Old 08-08-2005, 10:38 PM
motoracer51
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to move to Colorado, have some questions....

I've been going out there skiing for about 10 years now, and have always dreamt about moving there.

The cost of living here, on Long Island, NY, are killing me. Taxes are approaching $16,000/yr. Gas is touching $3.00/gal for diesel, and everything seems overpriced. Well, now I live in a 5,500sq/ft monster of a house. I grew up in it, and my parents left it to me, but it is just toooo much. I'd much rather have something like 2,600sq/ft, which seems more than enough, especially it just being me, and maybe a large garage since I like messing around with "things".

I've been looking at Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Durango, Ft. Collins, and Grand Junction

1. What kind of house/property can one get with $300k?

2. What are the winters like there? Is there massive traffic/congestion?

3. Out of the cities that I mentioned, which one has the greatest facility to major necessities. I.E. major hospital, airport, shopping.

I'm into Mountain Biking, Skiing ( I have a time share for two weeks in Winter Park), Dirt Bikes, Sport Bikes, and would love to be able to get into rock climbing, rafting, shooting, hunting,etc.

I'm also interested in getting some additional property close by ( 2 hours away). Acreage in the 50-100 range. What area would be closest to what I want and still be affordable?

Anything you guys that have expierence with moving/living out there, please chip in.

Thanks any/all help!!!!

John

ETA: I'm also going to be attending a college for my Bachelors in Business Admin. If you can also reccomend good schools within the state I'd be forever gratefull

Old 08-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
I dont know about those parts of the state..theyre all about 3-7 hours from me..But someone should come along and help you out here. My belief when it comes to livin in colorado, is mountains all the way. I live up around 9000' and within 10 minutes can be around 12000', and i love it..

--John

Old 08-09-2005, 08:46 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
For $300K...lots of options. I have been looking further southeast myself for property just to get out of the city. But what I have found is about 5-7 acres with house and barn for about $270K. (Elizabeth, Franktown). Nice area, rolling hills and lots of trees....but about 20 miles from Denver itself, but with the growth, there is always a store within a few minutes. However, from the mountains, it’s about 50 miles. I think you would need to start looking in the Jefferson County area. West Arvada is also a nice area with some homes with property.

If you have any probs finding something, let me know and I can send you some listings since I am looking myself. I live on the east side of town, but work on the west. SO I am starting to change my searches to the west side of town. Although I am looking for something around $240K or less, I can expand the search for some properties that may interest you.

Depending on where you live and where you work, you may or may not run into the traffic. There is allot of construction going on now in the Denver Metro area, (T-REX), so yes it does get congested but they are also putting in more Light Rail, (Mass transit), to help ease the traffic. Nice areas and some not so nice but that is the same as anywhere else. The good part is that you are close to the mountains. I can drive for about 30 minutes and be at a trailhead for playing off road. In the winter there is always skiing, snowmobiling, and of course...more off roading. Hunting is great here if you are into that. (I am), and there are some great lakes for boating, fishing and allot of camping areas. Year round playground.

Let me know! Email me from the link in my profile and I will send you a good email address.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of land in Pueblo, but then it stays around 100 degrees in the summer and windy in the winter... Might I suggest you move on out here and rent something in town for 6 months or so. Then you can do your shopping for places in your spare time. Pueblo, Colo Springs and Ft Collins are all just within hours of the city. Durango and Grand junction are of course further out (say 4 hours). There are quality schools through out the state and many have satallite campuses, so once you find a place you like, they are there.

Just a few thoughts... --Mike

Old 08-09-2005, 12:04 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Move to boulder then your about 100 mi from everything.
Biking, Skiing, Boating all of it. Been there done that long
ago and honostly dont know what its like now, but i can tell
you you dont want to live in pueblo.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Dave58
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face A vote for the Western Slope

You should consider Grand Junction if you don't need a major metropolitan area near by. G.J. is 150,000-ish population. Major airport with commuter-like airlines. Denver 3.5 hour away via I-70. Hardly enough snow to require a snow shovel. Grand Mesa National Forest, 9,000 ft., just 40 minutes to the east. Moab, Ut and High Desert from right out of town to the west up to 2.5 hour drive. Real estate MUCH cheaper the the Front Range (Ft. Collins, Denver, Colo. Springs.) Lots is wilderness acreage nearby in a wide variety of climate zones. Warm, low humidity summer.

Downside, Front Range folk steal your water and come mess up your backyard to play and then out vote you in the State Legislature.

I was raised in Denver and G.J. and love them both. You should plan a vacation and spend some time in all the regions you are thinking about.

Dave

Old 08-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dave58

Downside, Front Range folk steal your water and come mess up your backyard to play and then out vote you in the State Legislature.
They get what they deserve...mainly stranded in traffic, much as they are right now because of the rockslides that have been happening up here.

The western Slope is a good place to live. If youre into drag racing, theres a track up north, a track up northeast(if i remember right) a track in Morrison (by Denver) one in Grandjunction, and one in Pueblo.

Traffic is terrible if you live west of Denver, within one hour of Denver. The highways get backed up in both directions on friday and sunday, and is congested on saturdays. On Fridays, alot of mountain people head west so we dont have to deal with the people from the city coming up, and it seems almost everyone from the city heads west to get away. Then on Sunday it is the exact opposite.

That is the only downfall of living where i do.

--John

Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you like Mexicans and their lifestyle then move to Pueblo! Pueblo is always 10deg hotter in the summer and 10deg colder in the summer from the Springs, almost always.

If you like major growth, Yuppi's, track housing developments, cookie cutter homes, land developers making a ton of money, and Californians then move to Colorado Springs and Western Falcon. Also, land is very $$ because of the big boom in Real Estate here, because of all the mentioned above. Oh, and the Springs has 5 military bases here so there is a lot of Army trash and cocky GI's.

I am just about sick of the traffic, growth, illegal mexicans, and Californians that are moving to Colorado Springs. Not to mention I'm sick of the drought we've been in for the last 5 years. And also the Police speed traps EVERYWHERE. I personally am looking to change states somewhere Mid-west to a less populated city. The problem is just having the guts to pick up and move into an unknown. There is plenty of work here though which attracts illegal mexicans.

I don't know much about Ft. Collins or Durango. But I know Ft. Collins or most of those towns up North are major college towns and the mountains/trails up there are packed with new-age, politically-correct, liberal, tree-hugging, college generation. I guess I'm the only teenager in this whole town who has my head straight.

I dream of a place that is simple - no BS life, that is very green, has farmland, tractors, good job, and 30 acres where I can build a sweet motorcross track in my backyard and raise a family with a white fence, surrounded by cottonwood trees. *sigh*

Anyway, sounds like those taxes are KILLERLY STUPID in NY. Not a place for me either! Good luck with your decision to move.

Last edited by ceetwarrior; 08-14-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:46 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by ceetwarrior
Oh, and the Springs has 5 military bases here so there is a lot of Army trash and cocky GI's.
WOW...for someone who wants the american dream, you sure speak out pretty nasty against those that help make the dream possible. Don't like it, leave. I can see havin a prob with cockieness and attitude, but don't knock those that are willing to fight for what you want freely.

I have spent only 4 years myself in the military, but have lived near bases all my life. I would rather have them around than not. Are you going to fight for a way of life? Maybe try but won't get too far. You don't like having military around? Move to another country and see just how much better it is.

Now that I have done what I am about to bitch about.....the original question for this thread was information on the area....not opinions... Keep them to yourself.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:13 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Ceetwarrior,
Your head is far from being on straight. You need to rethink your
attitude and grow up. And maybe the military is a good place to start, and then maybe you'll be alittle more appreciative of what
you have and the freedoms that those military poeple afford you.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
I guess you guys misunderstood my post. I guess I'm stereotyping a little too much.... but there are A LOT of low class Army guys who live in projects etc with those attitudes. You go to clubs or cruising or the mall and you'll see 'em, trust me..., especially around here. Seems the Air Force has much nicer people.

I appreciate what the military does for our freedom. I never said I didn't.

Oh and Billybob, chill out, or DON'T READ MY POSTS IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT. I AM giving info on the area, NOT just my oppinion. If you currently lived here you might know that.

Chill, chill, deep breathes people......

Last edited by ceetwarrior; 08-15-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Most of what has been said above is "accurate", if not slightly biased. I lived in the north metro area of Denver for 22 years, and have this to say. I am so very happy to NOT live there any more. Traffic is the pits as the highway system is about 20 years behind times, and I seriously doubt if it will ever catch up to the needs.

Colorado Springs is moving rapidly to become larger than Denver (proper), and the traffic there is just as bad, if not worse. As someone said the military is a dominant group in the Springs.

I now live in Pueblo and must say I like it much better than Denver. I actually live in Pueblo West, a small but fast growing 'metropolitan district" about 7 miles west of Pueblo. Yes, we average about 10 degrees warmer year round than the Springs or Denver. Humidity was at 7% one day last week though! Land and housing is about 70% of what it costs in Denver. We are considered semi-arid here, as we are about 20 miles from any foothills. I live about 10 minutes from the north marina for Lake Pueblo State Park, one of Colorado's larger reservoirs.

As was also said above, the front range cities of Denver, Aurora, and Colorado Springs are (have) outgrowing the available water. Right now Pueblo is fighting the Springs over a 63 inch diameter water pipe which the Springs wants to build to pump up to 78 million gallons of water a day, from below the dam at the reservoir. Water is worth more than gold here in the arid west. Pueblo is a very culturally and racially diverse city with a lot less racial tension than the larger cities. Lots of variety of cultural events here too. We have our problems, but far fewer than say Denver or the Springs.

As for the western slope, I have enjoyed many trips there, and the folks living there have always been pleasant and helpful. Some of the most beautiful places in the state too. Lower population as well.

My only advice to you is this. Regardless of where you decide to move to, assimilate into the culture of your new home. Do this rather than bring the politics, mores, etc. of your past home. Example; Californians have been moving here to escape California, then try to make this another California rather than blend in. Years ago it was Texans, then Canadians, now Californians. If you want to move and live somewhere new, fit in to your new home rather than trying to make it fit you. This applies to anywhere, not just in Colorado. We don't want Colorado to change into something or somewhere else, we're happy being Coloradans and will extend a very hearty Colorado welcome to those coming here to be new Coloradans!

Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
rikfish, very nicely put! I guess I'm not able to state it quite that nice

That 63" water pipe you speak of is going to feed a resevoir just 1 mile northwest of my house, right in my backyard so to speak! And I pray that it doesn't come in! Not only for Pueblos sake but for my 'country living' will be no more.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:24 AM
motoracer51
Junior User
Thanks guys Ft. Collins. I'll be staying here for another day or so. I like it so far because you can almost live in the foothills/mountains and still be within 30 mins of the city.

The weather is great here, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I alwasy loved this state, and hence the reason to make the move here.

I'm not trying to "instill" any beliefs/thoughts/politics of where I'm from( NY). As long as if I move here, they dont infringe on my 2nd amendment rights, and the place doesn't overdevelop to the level of NY, I think I'll ike it here.

Seems like it has everything else I like/want to try. Skiing, MX, ATV's, great roads for sportbikes, hiking, etc,etc......

Thanks again for all the imput, I really appreciate it!!!!!

Regards,

John

Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

1 - Delivery means everything. OK...So I over reacted... My apologies. And no I don't have to live there to know it. I work there, but live up here in Aurora. Yes, there is alot of attitude, and understandably, you want to stuff some of them in the closest dumpster. Generalizing can be hazardous. RIKFISH did put it very well.

2 - I am still trying to figure out how to know if I don't like it without reading it. Ah well.

Colorado is a great state, lots to do from just about anywhere. Just depends on the $$ you want to spend as to where you are going to live and what you want for property. If you make the move....WELCOME!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want to move to Colorado, have some questions....