1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger 5-Speed Tranny

Old 07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
LYTEMUP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger 5-Speed Tranny

I have a 98 Ex-Cab with a 2.5 and am not sure of the exact 5-speed I have. Are there more than one 5-speed behind this motor? The reason I ask, I think I am in need of one. When the truck is in 1 and just parked it wants to kick out of gear and start rolling. While driving, 1 kicks out unless you hold it, there is no resistance though, 3 kicks out too the same with no resistance (forcing it to come out of gear). You can just rest your hand on the shifter and it will not kick out of gear, that is why I am thinking it may not be internal. It kicks out with the torque of the motor as you speed up or slow down. You can actually see the shifter move, more so than in a normal standard tranny (like a T-5 in the 5.0). Just hoping that I can find someone who has had the same problem and knows what avenue I should go down to fix it. Thanks...

Old 07-19-2005, 11:47 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
now and days there is only one tranny (mazda) behind the engine but they may have different gears for the different size motors. have you tried replacing the clutch?

Old 07-20-2005, 02:44 AM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
El Conquistador is right. You have a Mazda-designed M5OD R1. It's a lightweight transmission. Two common problems are (1) bent shift forks, and (2) broken plastic bushing in the shifter. The plastic bushing is a DIY job. Pull shifter boot, pull a few bolts out that hold the shifter in, pull shifter, replace plastic bushing, reverse procedure. Bent shift forks require dissassembling the transmission.

Read up on the Mazda tranny in the 87-96 F-series forums (a different version, the R2, was used behind 300 and 302 motors), and in the tranny forum.

You might just get your transmission rebuilt if you have anything close to 100K on it. That seems to be about the practical limit for an M5OD, from what I've seen.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
another common problem is the three shift rail plugs up top the tranny. they rot and tranny fluid will start to leak around them. while you have the tranny out, replace the rubber plugs with metal freeze plugs.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Oh yeah, I forgot about the drain plugs. Probably wouldn't contribute to the problems mentioned, but yes, El Conquistador is right, service them while you have the chance.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 PM
LYTEMUP
New User
I appreciate all the help, the clutch has approx 15k on it. I never even thought of a clutch problem though. I am glad to know that my tranny is not a M5R1 like most have told me though. I will get on it asap.
Are the forks pretty much the same as in the WC T-5 tranny out of a Mustang?

Last edited by LYTEMUP; 07-20-2005 at 04:48 PM. Reason: addition....
Old 07-20-2005, 07:04 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Sorry, I got bad news. "M5R1" is an abbreviation for "M5OD R1". Translates to "Mazda 5speed Over Drive Revision 1". There is only one light-duty 5-speed Ford truck tranny. The M5OD. It comes in three flavors:

Revision 1 "R1", which all 4-banger Rangers have.
Revision 1, Heavy Duty "R1HD", a slightly beefier version for V6 rangers (maybe just the 4.0)
Revison 2, a super-sized version made for small block Ford engines (300six, 302, in the Bronco, Econoline, Thunderbird, F-series).

All share the same design flaws (bent forks, broken bushings, rail plugs, slow synchros). All can handle the power they're designed for. An R1HD won't be any better behind a 4-banger than the R1 it came with.

The M5OD is unto itself. Probably nothing like a T-5.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 AM
nermal
New User
if you don't abuse them...and don't run them out of fluid, the mazda tranny will live a long and happy life.

most of the problems you see with these trannies are a result of drivers trying to shift too hard, which will usually break a fork or shear the roll pins that attach the forks to the rails...and will work it's way down to the synchros and the rotating internals.

other than that...it's a matter of maintainance...keep it full of fluid...and keep it fresh.
metal parts wear...all those little metal particles eventually turn the fluid into a flowing abrasive...the magnet on the drain plug won't catch it all.

crawl up under it and look at the shift rail plugs...if they look like they're leaking, you need to be checking the fluid, as they don't always leave a puddle on the ground when they go to leaking.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:34 PM
LYTEMUP
New User
The guy I got it from drove the crap out of it, blowing the origional motor in the truck. I don't don't drive the ranger like I did my mustangs that is for sure. By the wear on the right rear tire, there was some slamming gears going on...lol
I called Ford and they mentioned they get their reman trannys from a place in Tulsa so I think that is the route I am probably going to go.

By the way, I think that all the light duty manual transmissions Ford makes should be just like the World Class T-5 with better syncros...lol

Old 07-22-2005, 01:26 AM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Ford ought to use a more thoroughly bug-checked tranny. But they wont. How many trucks see the junk yard before 150K mi? I doubt many people complain when thier pickup doesn't shift like a Maseratii. Ford's been using the same light-duty trannys since.... at least 1988. I had an R2 in my babied '88 F150. Shifted terrible at 112K mi, and made noises. 1st gear wouldn't always engage.

For comparison, the T18-19 and NP435 4-speed granny-low truck trannys shift like a row-boat. Slow and long. From dashboard to seat cushion, I kid you not. But they have few/no problems and last forever, so they're loved.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:05 PM
LYTEMUP
New User
I had an 86 GT with a stock T-5, was not even WC, there was over 180K on the clock and had never torn into the tranny once, only replaced the clutch a time or two. We all know the T-5 is meant to be tortured, well correct that...the whole car is meant to be driven like a bat out of hell. The previous owner of my truck has a 5.0 notch, I think he drove his truck like his car!

Old 07-28-2005, 11:35 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
It's a shame they put the slow and rubbery M5OD behind the new 2.3 in the Ranger; that motor LIKES to run. Thank you, Cosworth :-). Pair of Weber carbs and a T5....

What's "wc"?

Old 07-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
WC stands for World Class.

Around 85-86 Borg/Warner did some rather modest upgrades to the T-5. The countershaft bearing was changed from a conventional roller bearing to a tapered bearing, needle bearings were used in place of the bushings that the 1-2 and 3-4 gear assemblies rode on and the synchronizers, in all forward gears save 5th, were upgraded to a multi-piece setup with paper linings instead of brass.

I'd guess that the conversion to tapered countershaft bearings may have slightly improved the torque capacity of the transmission, but the World Class transmissions were really built to improve shift feel and longevity from a warranty perspective.

Old 07-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Blue69gt
Junior User
Hi guys, just bought a 96 Ranger extended cab 3.0 5 speed. Would this have a Mazda tranny also ? It has 60k on it. What can I expect ,that's miles by the way ,101 ,ooo kilometers. Mike

Old 07-30-2005, 03:11 PM
nermal
New User
yup...it'd be a mazda trans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ranger 5-Speed Tranny