Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

So what's everyone been up to lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:04 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what's everyone been up to lately?

Well, me not a lot, got my truck kind of torn up, and go figure, needed it Monday... never fails. I got tired of guessing how much fuel there is in the tank, so been working at getting the senders fixed, and the leak in my rear tank. Since I seem to have an oddball year for senders, it was too expensive to just buy new senders and fix them, so I have been doing some fabricating to make some J C Whitney universals work. Got one done, gonna have to get back at it and get the other done. While I'm at it, I should fix some other things going on with the truck... otherwise, just keeping up with the garden and fiddling around here on the farm trying to keep from going crazy...

Old 07-07-2005, 08:26 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
nothing really to important, got a air compressor, figured that my truck is stuck in 2 low, even if thats not possible on a bw transfer case i think i did it. been scraping alot lately, workin on a couple of riders.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking to sell/finding a car to buy, driving to see the girlfriend 2 and a half hours away, work, and ultimately - busy in church. I could write my doctoral disertation on any of those..

Old 07-08-2005, 10:02 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honey-do's and work. Since the weather has been so dry, I've been riding the motorcycle every spare moment. Now, if I could just figure out a way to strap the kids on... I won't need the truck till the snow flies!

Came across a nice 76 F150 4x4 the other day. It's at a local mom-and-pop dealer. The guy says he bought it from a buddy who needed the cash. He claims that the 460 is a fresh rebuild with only 500 miles. The truck is very clean, recent paint and newly re-done seat/carpet inside. Best part is it has working factory air that's been retrofitted to R134. The dealer gave me the number of the guy he got the truck from... I'm still debating wether or not to call. Sounds like he won't let the truck go for less than 4K, and I really don't have the extra cash right now, but it sure seems like a nice old truck.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:27 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Watch out for those dogs when you're out riding... my father in law had a wreck Saturday because of a running dog, totaled the bike, broke 6 of his ribs, and his fiance has a shatterd elbow. They're pretty sore, but they survived. This was in town which translates to about 30 mph...
Sounds like a pretty good truck, check out the cab mounts, the fronts always rust up first of anything, then the hood spring mounts are next along with the floor pans.

Hey Saurian, any certain car you are looking for? If you wish, I can keep my eyes out around here... At least you're staying out of trouble, well there is the girlfriend...

Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Hey fellro,

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Between animals and crazy drivers, riding a motorcycle can get a little stressful.
I was pretty surprised when I looked under the truck, I expected to see a lot of rust. But, everything looks great. The only problem spot is on the bottom of the drivers side front fender, there is a bubble starting under the paint. I will probably do a magnet test over the rear wheel wells. I am a little hesitant about the 460 with a 4bbl carb, but, none of the old trucks are that great on gas anyway.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:54 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
you could be surprised by the fuel mileage on some, at least compared to todays trucks. I had a 68 Chev that got 12 mpg any time, trailer or not, and had a 400 smallblock in it. My 90 Chev that I had saw a best of 16... I had an 89 Ford 3/4 ext cab that got 12 best, 8 with an empty flatbed bumper pull... 351W 5 speed... and didn't even have that great of power to boot. In retrospect, I think the cat and muffler may have had some to do with that. It all depends what you want to do with the truck though, if the motor fits the bill or not. It also depends on the gears and how you drive it. I have heard of some of the 460's with higher gears getting into the teens back then. Tuning makes a big difference as well. I have seen cases where big motors in vehicles like that get better mileage than the smaller motors because they don't have to work so hard to get going, and keep going.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:06 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One other thing ALL 460s had 4bbl carbs on them, and I have seen guys try, and put a 2bbl on them and reduce the fuel economy so that is nothing to worry about.
As far as what I have been upto other than work it's been pretty well posted on this site what I do in all my spare time. The wife just says it's my midlife crisis but that ok cause it's a lot better than some other options for a midlife crisis.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:41 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
Well between working 60+ hours per week I just bought a 82 Honda Goldwing Its need the front calipers rebuilt so I will be tackling that Sat after work....If all goes well I will be cruising around sunday Since my wife has the Yamaha Fazer my son can ride on the goldy with me

Old 07-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Lifted78
Senior User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
One other thing ALL 460s had 4bbl carbs on them, and I have seen guys try, and put a 2bbl on them and reduce the fuel economy so that is nothing to worry about.
All except the fuel injected ones! <GRIN!>

Cheers!

Old 07-09-2005, 10:54 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been fairly busy here. On the farm, the crops have all been put in, hay's been mowed and baled once already, and got a head start on the other million things needing done. At the job in town, inventory's been taken and squared away. Not much shipping out of there this spring and summer (our usual "busy season"), but the management has plenty of "make-work" projects to keep us occupied.

On the home front, been keeping the new Menard's fairly happy with my charge card. Decided it was time for some long overdue home improvement projects... painting the house, doing some landscaping, and renovating a bathroom.

Both trucks running fine, so no worries there.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:01 AM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
I have a stupid question....

Whats the differance between Hay and Straw?

Old 07-10-2005, 06:51 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Hay is cut for feed, includes grass, alfalfa and clover, straw is baled generally for bedding, generally is from wheat or oats, or some other small grain. Straw is cheap, hay isn't nearly as cheap. Straw also makes good insulation, as long as the critters don't move in...

Old 07-10-2005, 08:33 AM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
well besides the 98 hours i work a week, i been trying to keep the pool clean for the kids and going back and forth to the hosptial seeing the twins. The truck is running good, but needs the body work done. here is a link to baby pictures..http://opieswedding.tripod.com/twins.html

Old 07-10-2005, 09:19 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
sure look a lot like their father... enjoy them, doesn't seem to be long and their grown up.

Quick Reply: So what's everyone been up to lately?