Your Filter Setups

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 10:35 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Filter Setups

Hi guys, I'm new to the alternative fuel forums so I'm definitely a "noob". I'm really wanting to convert my truck to run on WVO because of the ridiculous prices of dino-diesel. I've been doing a lot of reading and I know that you need to filter the WVO. I was wondering what kind of filter setups you guys have. For ex. like a 55 gallon drum to a ..., to a...., etc. Thanks for the help..!

Old 06-25-2005, 11:55 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
I've been using the bag filters from Greasecar.com (the guy I bought it from had quite a few-so I haven't had to look into anything else yet). They are 5 micron and 1 micron. I also have it run through a GE water filter (as-in: household water filter) built-into my 12v pump (mounted on work bench, but hooks to car for power) that I use to put it in my cars tank. He also gave me another 12v pump to gather the oil with , it just has a screen to keep out the big stuff.

My operation: Pump into the 5 & 10 gallon pails/jugs(easier to handle) from the main storage at restaurant. When I get home I have an assortment of the same jugs I use to transfer-filter with (using the bags). I then have 2 55 gal. drums I pour the bag-filtered oil into for storage. It then goes thru the pump w/ the water filter on it before going into the cars aux. tank. Don't know if I'm doing everything exactly as it was meant to be, but it seems right and works.

I have the jugs marked 1, 2, & 3 to designate the filtering stage respectively so I don't contaminate. I also have a couple clean ones to use for in-car storage of completely filtered oil if I want to go on a road trip in it.

Anything else, just ask.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:12 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
Originally Posted by edub32
Hi guys, I'm new to the alternative fuel forums so I'm definitely a "noob". I'm really wanting to convert my truck to run on WVO because of the ridiculous prices of dino-diesel. I've been doing a lot of reading and I know that you need to filter the WVO. I was wondering what kind of filter setups you guys have. For ex. like a 55 gallon drum to a ..., to a...., etc. Thanks for the help..!
Personally I use 55's, 5gal buckets and the 5gal cubies from the resturants, then a 275gal tote. I have a transfer pump to transfer from the dumpster to the barrel, bucket, whatever or I ask them when they change out the oil if they could just leave it in the buckets and I'll bring them back.
I get home and transfer to 55gal, heat it, (to get any water suspended out) then transfer again through filter (bag type) to 275 tote.

tdister: you can get those filter bags from McMaster.com alot cheaper.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:40 PM
PWRPROD
Senior User
Master Tim: Has any body tried a ceramic filter that is washable, or has anybody seen such a thing? I am using a two filter set up and a drill driven pump. PH8 to a Fuel / Water trap filter after setteling in 5 gallon pails. I like the 5 micron bag idea and will look for them in McMaster.

PWRPROD

Old 06-27-2005, 09:45 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
It's MasterTrim! (master trim carpenter) but, anyways I haven't heard about ceramic filters. Do you use one? The mcmaster filters are like felt and I can wash them with the power washer but, I think it damages them a bit. I just bought another a bucket heater, they work great for 5gal pails, just heat for 1hour or so and pour right in filter, or you could just pump with your drill pump, filters alot better and easier.

How long have you had your drill pump? I've heard they don't last too long, but I guess that depends on who built it.

Ken

Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Mastertrim:About what temp does the oil get to? What wattage? So far my garage has been warm enough that it isn't too much of a problem w/o heating, but it would be nice for it to go a little faster.

I've actually been considering building a solar oven in the backyard mostly for this purpose.

Oh yeah, thanks for the tip on the bags!

Old 06-27-2005, 10:35 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
I use a meat thermometer and the last bucket got to 170 degrees. It's a 1000 watt and took about 1/2 hour.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:14 PM
kc2006
Senior User
Originally Posted by MasterTrim
I use a meat thermometer and the last bucket got to 170 degrees. It's a 1000 watt and took about 1/2 hour.
Did you get that on ebay? theres a place on ebay that sells sumersible heaters for wvo for 30 bucks, I thought about picking one up, let it sit in my 55 gal drum and heat it over night.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:20 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
The one I bought was about $30 and yes it's submercible. It's just an electric element that can fit in anything and not burn the sides or bottom if it's plastic. Greasel.com has the same kind.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:05 AM
PWRPROD
Senior User
Master Trim

I was wondering where you got the bucket heater? Is that also a McMaster item? My drill pump was $6.00 at the Home Depot and so far I have pumped about 75 gallons through it. I try to not pump the dirtiest oil through it but at least get the big stuff out first.

PWRPROD

Old 07-02-2005, 08:30 AM
MasterTrim
Junior User
I bought mine from a local hardware store but, I did a google search and here it is: http://www.alliedprecision.com/bucketheater.html

Old 07-03-2005, 05:46 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Is the purpose of the heater to get it hot so it can be filtered better?

Old 07-03-2005, 05:48 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
I don't think it filters better, but it sure goes faster.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:24 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
It is better filtration because it does go faster. Would you like to have 5 gallons take 30 minutes or 2 min? But, the main reason for heating is to make sure there is no water in there. Very bad for IP. The heat will rid any water contaminants by boiling it out. If you don't hear any sizzle, like bacon in a hot pan, than your good to go!

Old 07-04-2005, 02:15 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Is 170 degrees the temperature that will get rid of all the water?

Quick Reply: Your Filter Setups