For Those Who Brew Their Own...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 09:10 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Those Who Brew Their Own...

Well, having seen how the biodiesel scene is beginning to take off and the ridiculous prices for overseas diesel, I've decided I want to buy a kit and turn the WVO to biodiesel...I really like the Freedom Fuel America Kit ( www.freedomfuelamerica.com ) ..However, I think that $3k is a little out of my price range for a kit..Does anyone have any other kits that they know of that are similar but are lower in price? Or does anyone have any experience with these make-it-yourself kits? Thanks

Old 06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
i don't, but there's lots of info in here... do a search on the threads for waste veggie oil and i'm sure you'll have plenty of reading to do..!

Old 06-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 779 Likes on 595 Posts
Yeah, or biodiesel.org will keep you reading for a month!

Old 06-14-2005, 10:28 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
It's alot easier to just use WVO. I think bio is alot more complicated and isn't worth the time. But, you be the judge. Here are some sites.

http://www.greasel.com/index.html

http://www.greasecar.com/forum.cfm

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

http://www.frybrid.com/forum/

http://www.greasemachine.com/forum/

http://www.localb100.com/cbt/mainpage/

That's probubly enough reading for the next 2 weeks.
Let us know what ya think!

Old 06-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Freakazoid!
Mountain Pass
This is the one I like: http://www.biodieselwarehouse.com/

It involves alot more DIY, but is way less expensive.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
And yet another one!
This one is a good site too.
http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html

Old 06-22-2005, 02:23 AM
PWRPROD
Senior User
OK guys I am using a pump and a two filter system. First filter is a regular PH8A or equal. Second filter is a large can fuel filter Car Quest 86281. I settle my oil to remove the solids and pump it through the two filters into a 5 gallon plastic can. I then allow it to settel again for a day or two and then pump again through the two filters and into the truck tank. I run about a 25% mix and have been told that I can go as high as 50% with no other modifications to the truck. My mpg has gone up slightly 1 > 1.5 mpg. My fuel bill has droped by $26.00 per fill or $2.60 per gallon. The price of #2 here.
Questions: Am I missing somthing in the processing that I should be doing? My oil is free and comes from a resterant that does mainly home fries in this oil. I do not get greedy and am very carfull about keeping things clean. The filterd oil is clear and dark amber in the 5 gallon jug. I am in southern CA so the temp is not a poblem. The high pressure pump has gotten a lot quieter on this 01 7.3 Ford. The resteraunt owner shure likes the free oil removal, they were paying about $1.50 a gallon to the black gold people every week for 15 to 30 gallons.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:13 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
You aren't prosessing it at all? Just filtering it twice and pouring it in? I thought you had to add lye and stir it and let it settle, etc. I'm going to have to go back and study some more, it can't be that simple.
Joe

Old 06-22-2005, 08:01 AM
kc2006
Senior User
thanks for all the links guys, I came on here today to do a search for biodiesel but you guys laid it out for me I have a line on 100 gallons of veggy oil I gotta go get today, I'm stocking up.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:04 AM
kc2006
Senior User
BTW has anyone bought one of the kits from biodieselwarehouse? I'm very close to ordering the 250 dollar kit since I can get a water heater cheap.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:04 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Originally Posted by PWRPROD
OK guys I am using a pump and a two filter system. First filter is a regular PH8A or equal. Second filter is a large can fuel filter Car Quest 86281. I settle my oil to remove the solids and pump it through the two filters into a 5 gallon plastic can. I then allow it to settel again for a day or two and then pump again through the two filters and into the truck tank. I run about a 25% mix and have been told that I can go as high as 50% with no other modifications to the truck. My mpg has gone up slightly 1 > 1.5 mpg. My fuel bill has droped by $26.00 per fill or $2.60 per gallon. The price of #2 here.
Questions: Am I missing somthing in the processing that I should be doing? My oil is free and comes from a resterant that does mainly home fries in this oil. I do not get greedy and am very carfull about keeping things clean. The filterd oil is clear and dark amber in the 5 gallon jug. I am in southern CA so the temp is not a poblem. The high pressure pump has gotten a lot quieter on this 01 7.3 Ford. The resteraunt owner shure likes the free oil removal, they were paying about $1.50 a gallon to the black gold people every week for 15 to 30 gallons.
I'm going to ask my question again. Am I reading this right and you are just filtering it twice and pouring it in? I thought you had to heat it, add lye, stir, take off the top oil, and use that. Doing it this way, don't you stop-up the fuel filters? Just a question so I can understand better how to do this. Thanks.
Joe

Old 06-22-2005, 07:36 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
Originally Posted by PWRPROD
Ok, so, are you letting it settle before filtering? Might not be a bad idea but, not a big deal depending on how offen you filters clog. Which brings me the the next Q: What micron do the filters get down to? Color is not a big deal, clarity is key!

JOE-M, You only use lye if your making BIO-DIESEL, totally different ball game. And yes you should heat it, that's to get any water out, if you know the source of the oil and that it doesn't have water or you tested for none, then that process can be skipped.

Last edited by MasterTrim; 06-22-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:47 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
Maybe this should be moved to the ALTERNATIVE FUELS forum...

For those with more questions read this first post: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb....51&f=159605551

Old 06-22-2005, 07:51 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Originally Posted by MasterTrim
...JOE-M, You only use lye if your making BIO-DIESEL, totally different ball game. And yes you should heat it, that's to get any water out, if you know the source of the oil and that it doesn't have water or you tested for none, then that process can be skipped.
Thank you for explaining this for me. I guess in my reading I never noticed the difference. I'll have to study up ALOT more on this.
Joe

Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 PM
PWRPROD
Senior User
The micron size is 1 or less.The clarity is clear, and no water cause the second filter is a water trap and fuel filter. In my case the oil comes to me warm with no water right out of the frier. Letting the oil settel causes the potato and some chicken fat to go to the bottom. From the last 15 gallon batch I got 12 of usable fuel and about 2.5 of desolved spuds. Looks like real fine cream of wheat cereal, and since I didn't run that through the filters they don't clog as fast. Olso what's left over can go right down the drain or in the garbage. It isn't a hazardes material, you could actually eat it. I have been looking for some kind of ceramic filter that I could use that would guarentee .5 micron and no watter. I would feel real safe then.
Sombody mentioned Lye mixed in the oil. For what purpose?
Cost of the filters and the pump and the tubing about $30.00. This = cheap fuel.
Wait till the people in the government find out we arn't paying road tax either.
Tooo bad.

Quick Reply: For Those Who Brew Their Own...